Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Need Baby Bird Help

aemeijers wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
If people spent this much energy on baby humans, the world would be a
better place. It does seem like a waste of energy for one bird.

People relate to ONE creature or human in distress. They can see it and
hear it, or if reported in the media, imagine doing so. When it is
hundreds or thousands in distress, not so much. People just can't wrap
their heads around it. That is why charities like 'save the children',
et al, spotlight ONE kid in the ad.

Pretty much every time the media reports on a person in distress, the
checks and offers start rolling in. But when they report on a large
problem that will take an ongoing effort to solve, not.

I know people who truly care more about animals than they do humans.
Let 'em. It's a free country. The humane societies do great work, and
have volunteers of all kinds. West Florida has a bird sanctuary that
rescues and rehabs thousands of birds, including bald eagles. When birds
cannot be returned to the wild, they use them for "educational"
exhibits. There is nothing "educational" about a crippled bird in a
cage...a good photo would be as educational. I really hate that
practice, but that's me. The sanctuary relies on volunteers and does
good work to undo harm done by humans...a lot of trash in the gulf ends
up harming animals and it is impossible to go anywhere along the shore
and not see human junk.

If the right-to-life folks quit picketing clinics and staging marches,
they might have time to use in helping children. How 'bout people on
death row who are proven innocent...guess when yer larger than a teabag
yer right-to-life goes away.