Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT - Need Baby Bird Help

On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:09:53 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:02:48 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"hr(bob)
" wrote in message
I just found a baby bird in our driveway under a couple of trees that
have nests in them. Bird can walk - sort of - and tries to fly but
can't. What should I do? Any ideas on food to set out or water???

Any water you put out should be in a very shallow container like a saucer so
the little guy won't drown in it. He doesn't know how to drink anyway.

Touching the bird is the last thing you want to do. Your smell may cause
his mother to desert him.

More than likely you are just going to have to learn to allow nature to take
its course.

Should you choose to ignore that advice there is an bird cereal that you can
buy in powered form. Mixes up a lot like baby oatmeal.
We tried more than once for the sake of the kids when they were little.
Never saved a single one.

Robins like pre-chewed worms. Make a video of that one for me.

I used to work for the humane society and we often got wild birds
brought to us. The best thing is to put them back in the nest if you
can do it safely. Sometimes the parents kick out the weak birds if
there are too many in the nest, or that one happens to be weak. It's
just nature.

PBS is showing an hour on Nature about new-borns. It showed storks, I
think it was, who were killed by their mother when there wasn't enough
food. Although it looked like a harsher environment than most of the
US.

It's a wivestale aboput touching them. You CAN touch them (gently of
course).

Yea, keep cats away. Get your cats and neighbors to put cats in the
house.

Birds eat worms, you can buy them at pet supply stores. (Meal worms).
Some birds will eat grains, and even small bits of grapes. It depends
on the type of bird. Again, the pet store should have cereals and
stuff for them as well as seed. This one is probably too young for
seed. And they need water too, place water in an eye dropper, hold it
against the tip of the beak and they should drink it. (dont get it in
their nostrils or you'll drown em).

Not all animals have their throat connected to their windpipe, is that
correct? So they can only breath through their nose and only eat
through their mouth.

Is it birds in general that imprint? I only remember hearing this
about ducks. And doesn't it have to be the first thing they see
after getting out of the egg? Wouldn't this chick have already seen
its mother, and imprinted on her?

You need to feed about every 2
hours.