Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Need Baby Bird Help

dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
wrote:
hr(bob)
wrote:
I just found a baby bird in our driveway under a couple of trees
that have nests in them. Bird can walk - sort of - and tries to
fly but can't. What should I do? Any ideas on food to set out or
water???
When we found a baby bird, our vet told me to put some fish cat food
in a blender with a little water. Feed the soupy stuff to the bird
with an eye dropper. This was a tiny bird, just beginning to get
feathers. Didn't survive. Another time, we had two ducklings. Fed
same stuff, one survived, one didn't. The survivor was not accepted
by other ducks in large flock, and he thought my husband and I were
his parents.
Let me guess, the duck walked around screaming AFLAK!

TDD

No, but it was pretty wierd ) Raising a duck indoors is not
something I recommend. They poop every 4 minutes.

LOL.

We have raised a bunch of baby Muscovy ducks that were orphaned for one
reason or another... 29 all told, over the last four years.

The most at one time was this past 12 months, one group of 6, another of 16
that were a month younger. Once they were big enough to go outside they
did, returning to a walled garden at night where they slept on a lanai. Can
you imagine the quantity of poop that 22 ducks can expel overnight??? I had
to buy a pressure washer.
_____________

As soon as we got the pair of ducks, we put a mirror in their box so
they would know they were ducks but that didn't work...the surviving
duck followed my husband and I like he was trained to do so ) When
it came time he was almost ready to fly, we took him down to the lake
where there were large flocks. Turned him loose, but as soon as he
approached any of the groups of ducks, they took off for the water
and he ran back to us. Tried that a few times, with same result. When
last seen, he was put in his box for the night in the back
yard...he either flew away or became a cat snack. Probably the
latter, but no signs of his demise were found.

All our ducks eventually left for an area across the lake I call "Ducktown".
The females are good fliers at about 3 months, most left by the time they
were 4 months old though one stayed more than a year. The males are a bit
slower at flying, generally leave between 7 and 11 months. One stayed
almost 3 years (he was in love with my wife but hated the dog). Several
come back from time to time; at the moment, 3 from last summer do, sometimes
bringing other wild ducks with them.

Ducks are neat critters.

You're a real quack!

TDD