Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne[_3_] Twayne[_3_] is offline

Default OT - Need Baby Bird Help

In ,
hr(bob) typed:
On May 22, 3:02 pm, "Colbyt"
wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in
message

I just found a baby bird in our driveway under a couple
of trees that have nests in them. Bird can walk - sort of
- and tries to fly but can't. What should I do? Any
ideas on food to set out or water???

Any water you put out should be in a very shallow
container like a saucer so the little guy won't drown in
it. He doesn't know how to drink anyway.

Touching the bird is the last thing you want to do. Your
smell may cause his mother to desert him.

More than likely you are just going to have to learn to
allow nature to take its course.

Should you choose to ignore that advice there is an bird
cereal that you can buy in powered form. Mixes up a lot
like baby oatmeal.
We tried more than once for the sake of the kids when they
were little. Never saved a single one.

Robins like pre-chewed worms. Make a video of that one
for me.

--
Colbyt
Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

A bird-knowledgeable neighbor picked the bird up using a
plastic bag and moved it away from the edge lf the lawn, it
was only 2 feet from the stree, having hopped about 20 feet
toward the street since it is downllhill in that direction.
We'll see what happens next. I think the parents are
robins.

Call the nearest humane center or SPCA. They can refer you to the proper
authority which will pick up the baby bird and have it placed with
experienced, recognized experts whose job it is to get the animal healthy,
back on its feet and be releaed back into the wild.
Never try to do it yourself unless you've been schooled in such things.
The biggest problem is having a youngster imprint on you as a "parent" and
when (not IF, even if you successfully make a pet of it) it's gotten back to
the wild it will have a very short life indeed. IMproperly raised
youngsters do not imprint properly, often don't have any way to learn how to
find food and some experience very painful, terrible deaths because someone
tried to help them. Honest; if you doubt me, there are lots of internet
sites you can find about this subject. Just make sure they were written by
authorized, recognized organizations, that's all.
In our area both the dog warden and SPCA can take such things and find
fostering for them. We have no local Humane Society, unfortunately; very
rural here. It works well; they even invite you to the event of letting the
animal go in the end if you wish it.
--
Regards,

Tom1