Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF[_2_] SJF[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Need Baby Bird Help

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
I just found a baby bird in our driveway under a couple of trees that
have nests in them. Bird can walk - sort of - and tries to fly but
can't. What should I do? Any ideas on food to set out or water???

Many young birds fall from the nest, or are booted out by their parents to
encourage flying. They are then fed on the ground by the parents till they
get the feel of their wings. I have seen mocking birds thus on the ground
for several days before flying. They try to hide but mama knows where they
are. A young sparrow hawk was able to fly up to the roof of the house in
one day and flew well the next.

This is a very hazardous time for the young birds but that's the way it is.
Best to let mother nature do it her way. But it's OK to move the youngster
from a precarious situation. Mama will find her young if not moved far.

SJF