Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seeking opinions on a Sears 42" lawn tractor

Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that
exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge.
Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this
series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this
year.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that
exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge.
Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this
series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this
year.)

You might want to ask about the horsepower rating if that part is
important to you. Some lawnmowers aren't what they claim to be. There
was a class action lawsuit over it. My brother is one of those who gets
a few $$ back because of it. This is the first link that popped up
about it: http://tinyurl.com/29olzff
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Sears does not have a good reputation these days. Go for a John Deere, you
won't be sorry. But buy it from a real dealer not a big box store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that
exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge.
Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this
series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this
year.)

Here is a link with some reviews. I prefer the manual transmissions,
this one has hydrostatic which most prefer. Check any gates you have to
drive through to make sure it will clear. Riding mowers are riding
mower and if you want a perfect cut well,... a riding mower is a riding
mower and a lot depends on how smooth the yard is.
Evidently you can mow while backing which I find very useful, many
riding mowers you have to by-pass the safety to do that.
Cup holders!!!!!! you might be able to use that if your yard is
smooth enough. It's a one cylinder so it will vibrate more than a
twin. Turning radius is very good for this type of mower.
As for being on sale, Sears always has a sale going.
I say go for it, and buy a six pack of beer so you can use the cup
holder.
Some reviews,
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=0#reviewsWrap

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't like the entire Shears system. I used to work for that
company. I'd reccomend a different brand, and maybe buy a used one
from a place that repairs mowers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

won't be sorry. But buy it from a real dealer not a big box store.- Hide quoted text -

My neighbor has a John Deere that is a piece of cr--.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that
exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge.
Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this
series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this
year.)

Consumer Reports best buys under $2000:
John Deere LA 115
John Deere LA 105
Cub Cadet LTX 1040 13RX90AR
Cub Cadet LTX 1045 13RX91AT
Craftsman 28724 (discontinued) Similar 28914, 28924

CR didn't rate the model you are looking at.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

Look for a John Deere with a Kawasaki engine. B & S don't last as long or
run as well from my experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hr(bob) wrote:
On May 20, 8:07 pm, wrote:
"Dean wrote in message

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.
I'd say today every thing is crap!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 20, 8:25*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. *Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically *painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that
exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge.
Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this
series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this
year.)

--
aem sends...

Have you checked out the returned lawn eqt at Sears?

You might luck out and find a "used" mower for less than 1K.

I bought a $1200 mower from them a few yrs ago for $700.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2010 9:47 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On May 20, 8:07 pm, wrote:
"Dean wrote in message

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

I'm not your neighbor but I also have a John Deere that is junk after
only 2 years of very light use (42 hours). Going to Wal-Mart and
purchase a low end no-name mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that
exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge.
Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this
series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this
year.)

I bought a used Sears 4'2 inch mower for $200.00 Changed the oil,
sharpened the blades, put new belts, adjusted and greased it and it runs
trouble free every year. Even put a bagger on it. I had to remove the
deck brakes because they were jamming and preventing disengagement of
the blades. I also bypassed that irritating seat switch.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2010 21:40:33 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

[...]

Much better deals near the end of summer, patience can save you money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2010 7:42 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
[...]

a 42" won't need more than about 10 real hp, so i'd say if they are
calling it a 21hp, it's probably making 12 or so. It'll be fine.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 7:25*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. *Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically *painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that
exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge.
Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this
series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this
year.)

--
aem sends...

I have one that sounds like a very similar model, purchased about 4-5
years ago. Got about 35 hours on it, and I have been very happy. It
starts first time with no hassle. Plenty powerful enough. Excellent
turning circle. I used to pull a roller behind it and it would mow
and haul that thing with no problem. I changed out the attachment for
mulching (hadn't realized when I purchased that this was an extra cost
option, but not expensive). Foot pedal for reverse is very helpful.
Cruise control function a waste of time, I never use it. At the time
I was planning on a Deere - always prefer to go for the best brand for
something that's going to be around a while - but the extra cost just
didn't justify it in my view. And at this stage, I still think it was
the right decision.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

[...]

I don't think Sears cares when it comes to returns. Mine was bought
right before summer and I'm in FL where some people cut their grass
almost yr round.
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my allergies,
sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that exposure time would
reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge. Looking for honest
opinions about the current sears mowers of this series. (the red ones, not
the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this year.)

--
aem sends...

I have a Craftsman 18 HP, 42" that sold for $999, now into 3rd year. Low
end, pretty basic but it performs great. Starts right up every time--even
after the winter storage period (just run it out of gas and remove battery).
Does everything it is supposed to. Would suggest that you get the mulch kit
(blade etc) with it. Saves a lot of clean up time.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 8:25�pm, aemeijers wrote:
Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. �Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically �painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that
exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge.
Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this
series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this
year.)

--
aem sends...

A mower is a mower. They all have either a B&S, Kawasaki, Honda or
Tecumseh engine. The engines are all good if you maintain them
properly. The front axles are either stamped sheet metal or cast iron.
The sheet metal ones suck. The decks in the 42" sizes are mostly sheet
metal.

Personally, I would opt for a smaller zero turn. Maybe a Toro or
something comparable if all you're going to do is mow. However, if you
plan on using it to plow snow, a zero turn won't do it.

If you plan on staying at the house you're in now, don't fret over the
cost. Get what you want and it will pay for itself over time, as long
as you maintain it. If you are a person who lacks the ability to
maintain a mower, you might as well go for the cheapest and buy a new
one every few years.

I work on small engine equipment. Brand name don't usually matter as
much as price. A john deere that costs $1200 is just as cheap as a
Sears for $1200.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 21, 2:29*pm, "MLD" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

[...]

Mine came with the munching plug and blades. I bought a catcher/bagger
and the regular blades for it. Not only is the catcher a PITA to a to
attach to the deck, but the tube clogs up to easily. I believe I used
it 3 times and then it just sat in the garage. A wasted $200.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 May 2010 07:48:31 -0700 (PDT), cubby
wrote Re Seeking opinions on a Sears 42"
lawn tractor:

I have one that sounds like a very similar model, purchased about 4-5
years ago. Got about 35 hours

That's less than 10 hours/year. Not much mowing there to really make
a reliability judgment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vinny From NYC" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 May 2010 07:48:31 -0700 (PDT), cubby
wrote Re Seeking opinions on a
Sears 42"
lawn tractor:

I have one that sounds like a very similar model, purchased
about 4-5
years ago. Got about 35 hours

That's less than 10 hours/year. Not much mowing there to really
make
a reliability judgment.

Who makes the Sears lawn tractors nowadays?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On May 21, 2:29 pm, "MLD" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

[...]

Put it on craigslist for $75, take $50!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nonny wrote:

"Vinny From NYC" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 May 2010 07:48:31 -0700 (PDT), cubby
wrote Re Seeking opinions on a Sears 42"
lawn tractor:

I have one that sounds like a very similar model, purchased about 4-5
years ago. Got about 35 hours

That's less than 10 hours/year. Not much mowing there to really make
a reliability judgment.

Who makes the Sears lawn tractors nowadays?

As best I can determine, this year, the red ones are Husqvarna, and the
gray ones are MTD.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Did I mention the 4-digit checks being painful? Deere's start at 1500
around here, for the manual-shift model.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I don't like the entire Shears system. I used to work for that
company. I'd reccomend a different brand, and maybe buy a used one
from a place that repairs mowers.

I looked at the local 'real' mower place, and they had a 4-year-old
low-hour 42" husqvarna for 1100. I was gonna go test drive it, until a
buddy gave me a dope slap and said that was within $200 of a NEW 42"
with similar specs, but a less fancy name. That is when I started wading
through web sites, and learned current sears ARE husqvarna.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale
this weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

Look for a John Deere with a Kawasaki engine. B & S don't last as long
or run as well from my experience.

See comment upstream about Deere being a lot more expensive. I only have
2/3 acre, and don't plan to start a lawn business.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
[...]

I'll look again, but I didn't see any used ones in their outside row.
Mebbe on the other side of the building or something. It is a small store.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I looked a little at the end of last summer- didn't see any killer
deals. And I need/want it NOW. For some reason, my allergies are giving
me a lot more trouble this year.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Thu, 20 May 2010 20:25:27 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

Model yt3000/28922, 42", auto tranny, B&S 21 HP. Some research online
says these are OEM'd by Husqvarna, and roughly equal to their low-end
models, at a lower price point. List $1399, but apparently on sale this
weekend for $1299, which sales droid was NOT aware of.

I find writing 4-digit checks physically painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that
exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge.
Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this
series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this
year.)

Go for it. Bought the identical model last year. Works fine for me. My
guess is longevity is more a factor of fresh gas, fresh oil, and simple
maintenance instead of brand names.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's Happened to John Deere Quality? (was: Seeking opinions on a Sears 42" lawn tractor)

"JimR" wrote
Now the local dealer has stopped carrying JD, so if you buy one from Home
Depot or Lowes there's no dealer around for repairs.

Have you searched for a dealer? There are 5 dealers within 30 miles of me.
Closest is 19 miles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2010 19:47:57 -0700, hr(bob) wrote:
My neighbor has a John Deere that is a piece of cr--.

That's a "John Oh, Deere" :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2010 20:25:27 -0400, aemeijers wrote:
I find writing 4-digit checks physically painful, but I am also finding
3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives. Thinking that perhaps cutting that
exposure time would reduce my allergy problems, I am tempted to splurge.
Looking for honest opinions about the current sears mowers of this
series. (the red ones, not the gray ones, which are apparently MTD this
year.)

Hmm, are you good at taking things apart (and getting them back together
again)? If so, see if you can find a couple of identical old mowers from
Freecycle / Craigslist, and mix 'n match to make something good. Treat it
to some new blades, belts too if needed.

That or buy some goats :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers:

3.5 hours per week behind a push mower physically painful to my
allergies, sinuses, and hives.

Use the money toward hiring a lawn company.

If you really want a riding mower, buy a Toro/Wheelhorse, anything over
$2500 (anything that costs less will be 'branded' but not made by Toro or
John Deere). I've owned two Toros, then bought a John Deere and I've
regretted it everytime I mow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"JimR" wrote
Now the local dealer has stopped carrying JD, so if you buy one from
Home Depot or Lowes there's no dealer around for repairs.

Have you searched for a dealer? There are 5 dealers within 30 miles of
me. Closest is 19 miles.

There are two small-town dealers, each 31 miles away. The first full
service dealer is over 50 miles each way.