Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Five Rooms of Flooring Going Into the Dumpster

Good grief! The condo above us was just sold, for half the price the
previous owner paid. The last owner spent about a year remodeling and
redecorating...all new flooring, new kitchen, some changes in bathrooms.
Now the new owner has hired a guy to take out all of the flooring. I
understand the new kitchen cabinets will go, too. Makes me want to cry.
I took a look in the dumpster...couldn't make out a brand name on it,
only "Made in Germany". Looks new, tongue and groove. I think it all
looks cheap, but perhaps this stuff isn't worth saving. I don't know
the owner, or how to contact him, or I would suggest saving the stuff
and offering it to whomever wants to pick it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 19, 4:06*pm, "
wrote:
Good grief! *The condo above us was just sold, for half the price the
previous owner paid. *The last owner spent about a year remodeling and
redecorating...all new flooring, new kitchen, some changes in bathrooms.
* Now the new owner has hired a guy to take out all of the flooring. *I
understand the new kitchen cabinets will go, too. *Makes me want to cry..
* I took a look in the dumpster...couldn't make out a brand name on it,
only "Made in Germany". *Looks new, tongue and groove. *I think it all
looks cheap, but perhaps this stuff isn't worth saving. *I don't know
the owner, or how to contact him, or I would suggest saving the stuff
and offering it to whomever wants to pick it up.

Post a "curb alert" on Craigslist. At least the kitchen cabinets will
go quickly. I could use a set myself for garage storage.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 19, 4:21*pm, N8N wrote:
On May 19, 4:06*pm, "
wrote:

Good grief! *The condo above us was just sold, for half the price the
previous owner paid. *The last owner spent about a year remodeling and
redecorating...all new flooring, new kitchen, some changes in bathrooms..
* Now the new owner has hired a guy to take out all of the flooring. *I
understand the new kitchen cabinets will go, too. *Makes me want to cry.
* I took a look in the dumpster...couldn't make out a brand name on it,
only "Made in Germany". *Looks new, tongue and groove. *I think it all
looks cheap, but perhaps this stuff isn't worth saving. *I don't know
the owner, or how to contact him, or I would suggest saving the stuff
and offering it to whomever wants to pick it up.

Post a "curb alert" on Craigslist. *At least the kitchen cabinets will
go quickly. *I could use a set myself for garage storage.

nate

Under "for sale""free"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On May 19, 4:06 pm, "
wrote:
Good grief! The condo above us was just sold, for half the price the
previous owner paid. The last owner spent about a year remodeling and
redecorating...all new flooring, new kitchen, some changes in bathrooms.
Now the new owner has hired a guy to take out all of the flooring. I
understand the new kitchen cabinets will go, too. Makes me want to cry.
I took a look in the dumpster...couldn't make out a brand name on it,
only "Made in Germany". Looks new, tongue and groove. I think it all
looks cheap, but perhaps this stuff isn't worth saving. I don't know
the owner, or how to contact him, or I would suggest saving the stuff
and offering it to whomever wants to pick it up.

Post a "curb alert" on Craigslist. At least the kitchen cabinets will
go quickly. I could use a set myself for garage storage.

That's assuming the demo crew know how to remove things properly. I always
cringe when I watch the DIY kitchen shows and see clueless DIYers removing
countertops and cabinets with a SLEDGEHAMMER. Unless they were installed
very strangely, they should just unscrew from whatever they were mounted to.
I think it's terrible that people destroy perfectly good fixtures just
because they're "dated". Sure, upgrade your kitchen, but you could at least
donate perfectly serviceable fixtures to Habitat for Humanity or some other
group. About 15 years ago we had an upstairs toilet tank crack and destroy
half the kitchen while we were away. That's when we discovered that the cat
sitter who was paid to come twice a day came only once every 2-3 days. Water
had clearly been gushing for at least 48 hours. So...we had to replace the
entire kitchen, but some of the cabinets and one of the countertops was just
fine. They were good quality, although discontinued, WoodMode cabinets, and
there were 6 of them. The HfH people were THRILLED to get them. They even
came to pick them up. And we fired that cat sitter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 1:43*pm, "h" wrote:

That's assuming the demo crew know how to remove things properly. I always
cringe when I watch the DIY kitchen shows and see clueless DIYers removing
countertops and cabinets with a SLEDGEHAMMER. Unless they were installed
very strangely, they should just unscrew from whatever they were mounted to.

Screws? Ha. You're more likely to face 1000 nails that are driven
extra deep or covered with formica and adhesive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 19, 4:51*pm, mike wrote:
On May 19, 1:43*pm, "h" wrote:

That's assuming the demo crew know how to remove things properly. I always
cringe when I watch the DIY kitchen shows and see clueless DIYers removing
countertops and cabinets with a SLEDGEHAMMER. Unless they were installed
very strangely, they should just unscrew from whatever they were mounted to.

Screws? *Ha. *You're more likely to face 1000 nails that are driven
extra deep or covered with formica and adhesive.

I had to remove a cabinet in my kitchen to make space for a full sized
fridge, and it was screwed to the wall, no goo. And if there was a
shortcut that could have been taken, I bet the PO would have taken it.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Out of a canon, I hope?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"h" wrote in message

About 15 years ago we had an upstairs toilet tank crack and destroy
half the kitchen while we were away. That's when we discovered that
the cat
sitter who was paid to come twice a day came only once every 2-3 days.
Water
had clearly been gushing for at least 48 hours.

And we fired that cat sitter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On May 19, 4:51 pm, mike wrote:
On May 19, 1:43 pm, "h" wrote:

That's assuming the demo crew know how to remove things properly. I
always
cringe when I watch the DIY kitchen shows and see clueless DIYers
removing
countertops and cabinets with a SLEDGEHAMMER. Unless they were installed
very strangely, they should just unscrew from whatever they were mounted
to.

Screws? Ha. You're more likely to face 1000 nails that are driven
extra deep or covered with formica and adhesive.

I had to remove a cabinet in my kitchen to make space for a full sized
fridge, and it was screwed to the wall, no goo. And if there was a
shortcut that could have been taken, I bet the PO would have taken it.

I've never, ever encountered a kitchen the cabinets and counters nailed
on/down, and I've helped more than 10 friends rehab their old houses.

If it's supported properly on the floor or screwed into a 2x4, why on earth
would you want/need it glued as well? These things are supposed to be
removable/moveable, after all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
On May 19, 1:43 pm, "h" wrote:
That's assuming the demo crew know how to remove things properly. I always
cringe when I watch the DIY kitchen shows and see clueless DIYers removing
countertops and cabinets with a SLEDGEHAMMER. Unless they were installed
very strangely, they should just unscrew from whatever they were mounted to.

Screws? Ha. You're more likely to face 1000 nails that are driven
extra deep or covered with formica and adhesive.

Very few kitchens in the last 40 years have field-applied formica. Very
few people can nail UP inside a base cabinet. If not screws, countertop
is most likely glued down with construction adhesive.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 3:58*pm, aemeijers wrote:

Very few kitchens in the last 40 years have field-applied formica. *Very
few people can nail UP inside a base cabinet. If not screws, countertop
is most likely glued down with construction adhesive.

--
aem sends...

There are plenty of houses that are more than 40 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2010 13:51:12 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

On May 19, 1:43Â*pm, "h" wrote:

That's assuming the demo crew know how to remove things properly. I always
cringe when I watch the DIY kitchen shows and see clueless DIYers removing
countertops and cabinets with a SLEDGEHAMMER. Unless they were installed
very strangely, they should just unscrew from whatever they were mounted to.

Screws? Ha. You're more likely to face 1000 nails that are driven
extra deep or covered with formica and adhesive.

If it is a quality cabinet - not a built-in-place-by-a -moron
cabinet, the top WILL be screwed on, and the entire cabinet set should
be easily removeable without damaging anything.
And by quality - I mean just about any quality. The countertops are
virtually all post-formed formica, not formica applied on-site to
fabricated, nailed-together countertops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2010 18:58:14 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

mike wrote:
On May 19, 1:43 pm, "h" wrote:
That's assuming the demo crew know how to remove things properly. I always
cringe when I watch the DIY kitchen shows and see clueless DIYers removing
countertops and cabinets with a SLEDGEHAMMER. Unless they were installed
very strangely, they should just unscrew from whatever they were mounted to.

Screws? Ha. You're more likely to face 1000 nails that are driven
extra deep or covered with formica and adhesive.

Very few kitchens in the last 40 years have field-applied formica. Very
few people can nail UP inside a base cabinet. If not screws, countertop
is most likely glued down with construction adhesive.

And then only if it is "solid surface" (coian etc) which is generally
glued to plywood which is screwed on from below, just like a
post-formed formica countertop.
Even solid granit is usuallu quite easily removed without damaging
either it or the cabinets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:12:07 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

On May 19, 3:58Â*pm, aemeijers wrote:

Very few kitchens in the last 40 years have field-applied formica. Â*Very
few people can nail UP inside a base cabinet. If not screws, countertop
is most likely glued down with construction adhesive.

--
aem sends...

There are plenty of houses that are more than 40 years old.

And a LOT of the over 40 year old kitchens were also built with
post-formed formica screwed on from below. When you get to about 45
years you are starting to get into the built-in-place douglas fir
plywood cabinets that are glued and screwed, non-salvageable and not
worth salvaging stuff - but the vast majority of those have been
replaced at least once already. Go back 50 or more years and you get
the built-in-place solid lumber stuff - stick-built face-frame with
frame and panel doors in a good number of houses - but again, the vast
majority of those have been ripped out over the last 20 or more years.
- and they are not worth salvaging either, generally speaking. I DO
have a roughly 60 year old kitchen cabinet in my garage as a workbench
- a stick-framed, built-in -place cabinet that had a nailed down
(grouted, ceramic tiled plywood) countertop that lifted off relatively
easily with a small crow-bar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 19, 1:43Â pm, "h" wrote:
That's assuming the demo crew know how to remove things properly. I always
cringe when I watch the DIY kitchen shows and see clueless DIYers removing
countertops and cabinets with a SLEDGEHAMMER. Unless they were installed
very strangely, they should just unscrew from whatever they were mounted to.

Screws? Ha. You're more likely to face 1000 nails that are driven
extra deep or covered with formica and adhesive.

If it is a quality cabinet - not a built-in-place-by-a -moron
cabinet, the top WILL be screwed on, and the entire cabinet set should
be easily removeable without damaging anything.
And by quality - I mean just about any quality. The countertops are
virtually all post-formed formica, not formica applied on-site to
fabricated, nailed-together countertops.

Believe what you want- I have seen plenty of kitchens, even ones where
the cabinets were decent quality, where the pre-made
formica-over-particle-board countertop was glued to the panels, face
frame, and screw plates of the base cabinets, and nary a screw used.
Lazy and/or ill-trained install crew, nothing more. When paid by the
job, they cut corners. Ten minutes with the caulking gun beats an hour
pulling drawers and climbing inside cabinets.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My kitchen (1966) has built in place Birch Plywood cabinets with Formica
over 3/4" Particle Board counters done onsite...Formica glued to the drywall
all the way to the bottom of the uppers with crome trim on exposed edges and
between counter and backsplash..LOL.....Everything is glued and nailed
except the countertop which is screwed to cleats on the inside of the
cabinets..Nice job too....Not gonna be salvageable I think...Sucks too as I
could use them in the new garage when we get to the kitchen faze of the
reno.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Out of a canon, I hope?

Is this on youtube, the catsitter being fired out of the priest? I'd
like to see it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On May 19, 4:21 pm, N8N wrote:
On May 19, 4:06 pm, "
wrote:

[...]

In my condo, I can get in trouble just for breathing ) The stuff
belongs to someone else right now, in his rented dumpster. I emailed
Habitat last evening, but haven't heard back from them yet. Now, the
flooring is buried under the new vertical blinds, new ceiling fan, new
white shag carpeting. On top of all of that are the BRAND NEW, NEVER
USED white kitchen cabinets, most of which are being ripped apart before
they go into the dumpster. The guys doing the demo work speak with
foreign accent...Oh, and the granite counter tops are in the dumpster, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
In my condo, I can get in trouble just for breathing ) The stuff
belongs to someone else right now, in his rented dumpster. I emailed
Habitat last evening, but haven't heard back from them yet. Now, the
flooring is buried under the new vertical blinds, new ceiling fan, new
white shag carpeting. On top of all of that are the BRAND NEW, NEVER USED
white kitchen cabinets, most of which are being ripped apart before they
go into the dumpster. The guys doing the demo work speak with foreign
accent...Oh, and the granite counter tops are in the dumpster, too.

That's depressing. I hate useless waste.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2010 13:28:22 -0400, "
wrote:

Ron wrote:
On May 19, 4:21 pm, N8N wrote:
On May 19, 4:06 pm, "
wrote:

[...]

If they speak with a foreign accent, they're likely terrorists. No
wonder they're so destructive. I suggest you go there when they're
leaving work for the day, and watch what sort of vehicle they drive.
Get the license plate numbers, and contact the FBI.

As far as saving this stuff, I never heard anyone being arrested for
dumpster diving. I do it quite often myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

If they speak with a foreign accent, they're likely terrorists. No
wonder they're so destructive. I suggest you go there when they're

I just threw that in for fun....the crew doing the demo work will not be
doing the remodeling. I thought it was kind of surprising that if they
are day laborers they didn't save some of the stuff for themselves.
There is enough brand new stuff going in the dumpster to redo a nice
little house.

leaving work for the day, and watch what sort of vehicle they drive.
Get the license plate numbers, and contact the FBI.

As far as saving this stuff, I never heard anyone being arrested for
dumpster diving. I do it quite often myself.

A friend who stopped by grabbed a ceiling fan, stainless steel sink with
faucet. When I want to get rid of small stuff, I call the city to pick
it up, then put it by the curb at the appointed time. It is almost
always gone before the city truck arrives )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

Good grief! The condo above us was just sold, for half the price the
previous owner paid. The last owner spent about a year remodeling and
redecorating...all new flooring, new kitchen, some changes in bathrooms.
Now the new owner has hired a guy to take out all of the flooring. I
understand the new kitchen cabinets will go, too. Makes me want to cry.
I took a look in the dumpster...couldn't make out a brand name on it,
only "Made in Germany". Looks new, tongue and groove. I think it all
looks cheap, but perhaps this stuff isn't worth saving. I don't know
the owner, or how to contact him, or I would suggest saving the stuff
and offering it to whomever wants to pick it up.

Are you sure it sold, or is that just the rumor you heard? Maybe the
lender foreclosed, and gutting the place is the owner's tantrum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Good grief! The condo above us was just sold, for half the price the
previous owner paid. The last owner spent about a year remodeling and
redecorating...all new flooring, new kitchen, some changes in bathrooms.
Now the new owner has hired a guy to take out all of the flooring. I
understand the new kitchen cabinets will go, too. Makes me want to cry.
I took a look in the dumpster...couldn't make out a brand name on it,
only "Made in Germany". Looks new, tongue and groove. I think it all
looks cheap, but perhaps this stuff isn't worth saving. I don't know
the owner, or how to contact him, or I would suggest saving the stuff
and offering it to whomever wants to pick it up.

Are you sure it sold, or is that just the rumor you heard? Maybe the
lender foreclosed, and gutting the place is the owner's tantrum.

No, I saw the official record online....have had some rather infamous
neighbors, so I check now and then to see who went bust and who has been
arrested ) The last owner, I'm told, spent $38K redoing the unit
(about 1300 sq.ft.)...looked nice. The guy who did most of the work is
a partner of the actual owner. Purchased for $350k, sold for about half
that. Spoke with the partner a number of times during the time it was
for sale, and he never seemed particularly distressed that it took so
long. They owned it three years, spent about a year doing the work.
Could have rented it. They flipped properties for quite a few years, so
probably had made a bundle previously. Another former owner bought two
units in our condo during the run up in real estate, remodeled one,
redec. the other, and doubled his money. Defaulted on his next
mortgage, which was a little over $1.5m.

New owner is a real estate investment co...unit has a boat slip, as do
all the units in our condo. Story is that this will be the new owner's
summer place, but probably another flipper. Boat slips in the back yard
are getting hard to come by )