Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Five Rooms of Flooring Going Into the Dumpster

On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:12:07 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

On May 19, 3:58Â*pm, aemeijers wrote:

Very few kitchens in the last 40 years have field-applied formica. Â*Very
few people can nail UP inside a base cabinet. If not screws, countertop
is most likely glued down with construction adhesive.

--
aem sends...

There are plenty of houses that are more than 40 years old.

And a LOT of the over 40 year old kitchens were also built with
post-formed formica screwed on from below. When you get to about 45
years you are starting to get into the built-in-place douglas fir
plywood cabinets that are glued and screwed, non-salvageable and not
worth salvaging stuff - but the vast majority of those have been
replaced at least once already. Go back 50 or more years and you get
the built-in-place solid lumber stuff - stick-built face-frame with
frame and panel doors in a good number of houses - but again, the vast
majority of those have been ripped out over the last 20 or more years.
- and they are not worth salvaging either, generally speaking. I DO
have a roughly 60 year old kitchen cabinet in my garage as a workbench
- a stick-framed, built-in -place cabinet that had a nailed down
(grouted, ceramic tiled plywood) countertop that lifted off relatively
easily with a small crow-bar.