Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Five Rooms of Flooring Going Into the Dumpster

wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010 13:51:12 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

On May 19, 1:43Â pm, "h" wrote:
That's assuming the demo crew know how to remove things properly. I always
cringe when I watch the DIY kitchen shows and see clueless DIYers removing
countertops and cabinets with a SLEDGEHAMMER. Unless they were installed
very strangely, they should just unscrew from whatever they were mounted to.

Screws? Ha. You're more likely to face 1000 nails that are driven
extra deep or covered with formica and adhesive.

If it is a quality cabinet - not a built-in-place-by-a -moron
cabinet, the top WILL be screwed on, and the entire cabinet set should
be easily removeable without damaging anything.
And by quality - I mean just about any quality. The countertops are
virtually all post-formed formica, not formica applied on-site to
fabricated, nailed-together countertops.

Believe what you want- I have seen plenty of kitchens, even ones where
the cabinets were decent quality, where the pre-made
formica-over-particle-board countertop was glued to the panels, face
frame, and screw plates of the base cabinets, and nary a screw used.
Lazy and/or ill-trained install crew, nothing more. When paid by the
job, they cut corners. Ten minutes with the caulking gun beats an hour
pulling drawers and climbing inside cabinets.

--
aem sends...