Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to drag large garbage can?

On Mon, 3 May 2010 20:22:05 -0700, "Walter E." wrote:

Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square. Full,
they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with heavy ice
plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep driveway (50' in
length). We have three of these black cans for household garbage and
landscape debris.

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster cans
up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying them (one
at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

How about leaving the cans near the road and taking small amounts out
in your trunk?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 May 2010 17:23:16 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

medical credentials

When the Physician's Assistant or a Nurse asked me "what is wrong with
him?" My pat answer was, "I don't know I'm not a doctor!"

Took a guy to the local "outside" hospital once with six (6) stab
wounds in his chest and one gurgling lung (red foam). The hospital
nurse, then asked me "what is wrong with him?".

Being tired of the same old question, I said to her: "He's running out
of air!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

wrote in message
As I said before, there is a big difference between healthy exercise and
taking chances. As active as many elderly are, a broken hip can mean
permanent disability or death. As a retired nurse, I have seen it many,
many times.

Bottom line, when you stop doing things for yourself, just dig a hole and
lie down, since you're already dead. Meaning, that if you are not
exercising VIGOROUSLY for at LEAST 60 MINUTES EVERY day, you aren't doing
anything and should just give it up. Exercising (weight resistance
training) actually builds up bones and guards against breaks, even in
advanced old age, as any nurse should know. You can get the exercise
moving your trash, your dirt, cleaning your house, your gutters, dancing,
taking yoga or boxing classes, or going to the gym. Work it out on your
own, but most people will die much sooner than they should because they
never get off their asses. Most people, Americans in particular, are lazy.

I'm sorry, sir. I was either drunk, unconscious, or absent the day you
showed your medical credentials to the group. Could you please provide them
again?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

wrote in message
m...
h wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Your English comprehension isn't too good...who suggested that anyone
stop being active?

Umm, you said to weenie-out and let other people do things for you. SAME
THING! Reading comprehension not your long suit, huh? PLONK!

Boy, I guess you showed HIM!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 May 2010 19:45:06 -0400, "h"
wrote:

PLONK!
"Stefann King" wrote in message
.. .
PLONK!

This jerk has already PLONKED half a dozen people. Let's all trample
on her/his/its tender little feelings. If it PLONKS everyone, it'll
get no more posts and will have nothing to reply to. Maybe then it'll
go somewhere else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

PLONK!
"Stefann King" wrote in message
. ..
PLONK!

This jerk has already PLONKED half a dozen people. Let's all trample
on her/his/its tender little feelings. If it PLONKS everyone, it'll
get no more posts and will have nothing to reply to. Maybe then it'll
go somewhere else.

Well PLONK you too
Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Umm, I'm FEMALE, you moron. PLONK!

"h" must stand for "harlot". Perhaps a ginger with
that temper. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

h wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Umm, I'm FEMALE, you moron. PLONK!

"h" must stand for "harlot". Perhaps a ginger with
that temper. *snicker*

TDD

Man, that bitch plonks someone every damn day. Must be getting lonely by
now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

PLONK!
"Stefann King" wrote in message
PLONK!

This jerk has already PLONKED half a dozen people. Let's all trample
on her/his/its tender little feelings. If it PLONKS everyone, it'll
get no more posts and will have nothing to reply to. Maybe then it'll
go somewhere else.

A millennium later, an archaeologist digs up the computer believed
to have belonged to the fabled Plonkasaurus. It was an odd creature
of the times and had extreme difficulty communicating with other
beasts of that ancient era.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

h wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Umm, I'm FEMALE, you moron. PLONK!

"h" must stand for "harlot". Perhaps a ginger with
that temper. *snicker*

TDD

Man, that bitch plonks someone every damn day. Must be getting lonely by
now.

I wonder if she PLONKS on the first date?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
-
Walterwww.rationality.net

If you have a tractor or rider mower attach cans to a cart, use
tractor to take cans up and down hill. leave cart at bottom of hill on
garbage day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

PLONK!
"Stefann King" wrote in message
PLONK!

This jerk has already PLONKED half a dozen people. Let's all trample
on her/his/its tender little feelings. If it PLONKS everyone, it'll
get no more posts and will have nothing to reply to. Maybe then it'll
go somewhere else.

Well PLONK you too

Thank you very much. You and 'h' should be very happy together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 May 2010 21:15:27 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

the computer believed
to have belonged to the fabled Plonkasaurus

Wiping my eyes from laughter......
Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message

Umm, I'm FEMALE, you moron. PLONK!

What are you talking about? New to usenet, huh? At least put enough of the
conversation to give us a slight hint. Or are we supposed to know?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

h wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Umm, I'm FEMALE, you moron. PLONK!

"h" must stand for "harlot". Perhaps a ginger with
that temper. *snicker*

TDD

Man, that bitch plonks someone every damn day. Must be getting lonely by
now.

I wonder if she PLONKS on the first date?

Your ridiculous "snicker* on nearly every post has earned you a PLONK!
*snicker*

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

h wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Umm, I'm FEMALE, you moron. PLONK!

"h" must stand for "harlot". Perhaps a ginger with
that temper. *snicker*

TDD
Man, that bitch plonks someone every damn day. Must be getting lonely by
now.

I wonder if she PLONKS on the first date?

Your ridiculous "snicker* on nearly every post has earned you a PLONK!
*snicker*

MOMMIEEEEEEE! The evil biotch PLONKED meeeeeee! Waaaa! Waaaa! Waaaa!

*snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 03 May 2010 22:52:06 -0500, "
wrote:

We have one of those. It's heavier going down the driveway than up. ;-)

But he lives at the bottom of his driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
wrote in message
m...
h wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I said no such thing. Double plonk )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have one of those. It's heavier going down the driveway than up. ;-)

But he lives at the bottom of his driveway.

I think it's time to call in the experts. Where's Walter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 9:22*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Does The Scooter Store install trailer hitches? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter E. wrote:

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress...8187185505.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 4:45*am, "Walter E." wrote:
The monster garbage trucks are too huge and heavy for my driveway.

Jeez, for an 80 year old you aren't too swift. 80 years of life
experience, wisdom, and knowledge. One would think you'd know better.

They're not going to drive the "monster" garbage truck down a 50'
driveway! Hell, the truck would pretty much fill the entire driveway!
It's over 30' long by itself.

The garbage man WALKS down the driveway, wheels the cans to the road,
and dumps them in the truck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Two ways to go he

Reduce the weight of each trip. Leave your garbage bin empty all
week, roll it down the hill empty, carry the bags down one at a time.
They can be as small as you want, you're the one filling them.

More controversial, reduce the total weight of your garbage. This may
depend on what recycling is available in your area. I lived in a
location where the allowable garbage pickup was one kitchen sized bin
(1 foot square, 3 feet high) every two weeks, and if it contained
anything recyclable (paper, aluminum, etc.) then it could be rejected
or you could be fined. We recycled everything possible and had no
trouble fitting our garbage into the bin. This was from a family of
four. It can be done with little effort once it is a habit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 2:52*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On May 3, 8:22*pm, "Walter E." wrote:

[...]

Walter, DON'T DON'T DON'T t!!!! *I have read the entire thread, and
beg you to heed the advice contacting the municipality or
whomever,
and requesting aid in light of your age and the steep driveway.
Explore all levels of government, and if nothing works, contact a
senior center
in your nearest municipality and explain your predicament. *I bet they
will be able to help you.

If all else fails, do budget for a few bucks to a youngster (or even
an unemployed person). *IT'S NOT WORTH THE POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCES!

Last summer, I was pushing -- on the flats --my wheeled recycling
cart, which the transient apt. dwellers across the alley had filled
with 40 lbs. of their moving-out paper discards. *(The alley, BTW),has
plenty of oversize recycling carts!! *When I raised hell with the
City, they finally provided this building with the recycling carts
they should have had all along -- this was after decades of them
dumping in my cans.)

It got away from me and I ended up head-first inside the can, with a
giant gash and *a broken wrist. * You can imagine how long it took for
the wrist to heal (I am no spring chicken either!). *It is NOT WORTH
IT for you to risk something similar, or heaven forbid, a broken
hip. !!!

Pls reassure me & group that you are taking action -- in keeping with
your URL "Rationality.net" g

Hypatia

WALTER, ARE YOU LISTENING?

I hope by now you have reached out to your local government,
municipal, county, whatever, for assistance,
as well as to the Senior Center, and/or to a house of worship, if you
belong to one (though somebody who
signs "rationality.net" may not be affiliated g

Somebody in this thread -- maybe more than one poster -- mentioned
slipping on the ice.

Here's "Dear Abby" for today:

"DEAR ABBY: Early this year, my mother went to the curb to collect the
empty trash bin and put it away for the week. As she wheeled it behind
her home, she slipped on the ice and BROKE HER HIP.C She lives alone
and was in the back of her property where NOBODY COULD SEE OR HEAR
HER.
Fortunately, she'd had the foresight to GRAB HER CELL PHONE before she
went outside. Because she was unable to stand up she could have frozen
to death. She called 911 and within minutes an ambulance arrived to
take her to the hospital.

Mom had surgery to repair the hip and is recovering, but it was a
close call. This is a reminder to your readers that if they live alone
-- or have parents who do -- to make sure to have a cell phone
available at all times. -- RELIEVED SON IN ELKHART, IND.

DEAR RELIEVED SON: I'm pleased to pass along your important message.
Your mother did, indeed, have a close call. It must have been her
guardian angel who handed her her cell phone as she left the house
that wintry day. Please tell her I said so and that I hope she's
better soon."

I don't go for that "guardian angel" crap; maybe the mother was just
being "rational".

Reason I'm posting this is to reinforce what seems to be a NG opinion
that you are taking big chances, mickey-mousing
your trash collection by the various means you have outlined.

Take your sword and cut the Gordian knot before it's too late!

Hypatia

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 May 2010 05:46:24 -0700 (PDT), keith
wrote:

On May 4, 9:22*pm, " wrote:
[...]

I think you can get Monster Truck Scooters now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2010 10:22 PM, Walter E. wrote:
Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square.
Full, they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with
heavy ice plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep
driveway (50' in length). We have three of these black cans for
household garbage and landscape debris.

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster
cans up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying
them (one at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

Hire a boy to take it out for you.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have one of those. It's heavier going down the driveway than up. ;-)

But he lives at the bottom of his driveway.

Though I've certainly seen it, I'd never buy a house lower than street level.
Hauling garbage cans would be the least of my worries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have one of those. It's heavier going down the driveway than up. ;-)
But he lives at the bottom of his driveway.

Though I've certainly seen it, I'd never buy a house lower than street level.
Hauling garbage cans would be the least of my worries.

Chuckle. Try living in a lake-front house on most man-made lakes. Hill
slump is a big problem, and you have to design the utility feeds and
foundations accordingly.

Good point. I was thinking about doing just that in a few years. Maybe not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter E." wrote in message
[...]

Get a smaller cart and fill the bins at the curb. You have to make more
trips that way but it is a whole lot better than hurting yourself.

You also might get a trailer that you could pull with the garden tractor.
The trash company could probably deal with the cans on the trailer.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 10:29*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Joe Carthy wrote:
Steve Barker wrote in
m:

*wrote:

We have one of those. *It's heavier going down the driveway than
up. *;-)
But he lives at the bottom of his driveway.
Though I've certainly seen it, I'd never buy a house lower than
street level. Hauling garbage cans would be the least of my worries.
I've seen dozens that lay like that. *And many of them right in town..

yuck, I'd never buy one.

Depends on how the lot was graded, and how much further downhill the lot
went past the house. Rainwater running into garage and basement can be
an expensive PITA. But if the house is in a bowl, the whole damn thing
can flood. If at all possible, you want the house to be the highest
point on the lot. But as I have learned from sad experience, having a
driveway that rises around 8 feet over a 60-foot run, can also be a
problem if you live in snow country. After losing one transmission, I
now have resigned myself to plowing before trying to get up the drive,
if I can't see the pavement through the snow. I suppose that is one of
the reasons this place sat empty for six months before I bought it at a
discount.

When I lived in Vermont (classifies as "snow country" ;-), our
driveway was like that. No big problem at all. It sure beats a
driveway sloped the opposite direction. At least I could get home
(before removing the snow) without worrying about losing the garage
door. Snow melts, too.

How in the world did you lose a transmission?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Though I've certainly seen it, I'd never buy a house lower than street
level. Hauling garbage cans would be the least of my worries.

yuck, I'd never buy one.

Especially in Nashville

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
the computer believed
to have belonged to the fabled Plonkasaurus

Wiping my eyes from laughter......

You really need to get out more. PLONK!
Posted to alt.home.repair

keith wrote:
On May 5, 10:29 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Joe Carthy wrote:
Steve Barker wrote in
:
wrote:
[...]

My driveway slopes up from street to house. Driveway is asphalt. Until I
realized FWD transmissions (esp mopar minvans) were not as solidly built
as RWD transmissions back in the old days, if there was only a couple
inches of snow, I would sometimes drive uphill through the snow. Made it
through about 1.5 winters before tranny told me that was a bad thing to
do. At that point, the value of the van with a good tranny was the same
as the cost to rebuild the tranny. I have a snowblower and a good leaf
blower now, so I seldom have to hand shovel very much. But I do have to
get up half an hour early on snowy days to clear drive, even for only a
couple inches, because if I drive out over it (which presumably does no
harm), I have 2 stripes of ice to contend with at the end of the day.

The best-remembered lessons are the expensive ones, etc. I'm sure an AWD
or 4wd baby SUV would have no trouble with this driveway, nor would an
old-style RWD with actual snow tires in rear (not 'all season') and a
few sandbags in trunk.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
the computer believed
to have belonged to the fabled Plonkasaurus

Wiping my eyes from laughter......

You really need to get out more. PLONK!

I'm just shattered.

You don't have a kill file for me?

Like I asked before, are you the same "h" as the poster "tmclone"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 May 2010 18:39:21 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

keith wrote:
On May 5, 10:29 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Joe Carthy wrote:
Steve Barker wrote in
:
wrote:
[...]

Same. Makes the garage door harder to hit. ;-)

Until I
realized FWD transmissions (esp mopar minvans) were not as solidly built
as RWD transmissions back in the old days, if there was only a couple
inches of snow, I would sometimes drive uphill through the snow. Made it
through about 1.5 winters before tranny told me that was a bad thing to
do.

I had a couple of minivans, though they were standards. I also had a couple
of intrepids, no issues with snow. The trannies were junk (on all Chrysler
crap), but I still don't understand how a little snow got to them.

At that point, the value of the van with a good tranny was the same
as the cost to rebuild the tranny.

Yep, my '93 TSi got scrapped because of the tranny, too. The '96 Intrepid got
sold at auction before it got that far (we chickened out).

I have a snowblower and a good leaf
blower now, so I seldom have to hand shovel very much. But I do have to
get up half an hour early on snowy days to clear drive, even for only a
couple inches, because if I drive out over it (which presumably does no
harm), I have 2 stripes of ice to contend with at the end of the day.

Yeah, I had a snow blower, too. If I got any ice on the driveway it tended to
last all Winter. I did usually have to shovel out the end of the driveway,
though. That stuff would be either as hard as a rock, or slush. Either would
plug up the snow blower.

The best-remembered lessons are the expensive ones, etc. I'm sure an AWD
or 4wd baby SUV would have no trouble with this driveway, nor would an
old-style RWD with actual snow tires in rear (not 'all season') and a
few sandbags in trunk.

I still don't know what was so tough on the tranny. Spinning wheels is
counterproductive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
the computer believed
to have belonged to the fabled Plonkasaurus
Wiping my eyes from laughter......

You really need to get out more. PLONK!

I'm just shattered.

You don't have a kill file for me?

Like I asked before, are you the same "h" as the poster "tmclone"?

Researchers have always believed there existed more than one
specimen of the fabled Plonkasaurus. Ancient data storage
devices once used on the predecessor of The Universe Net or
Versenet as it is more commonly called today have given a
number of data diggers (electronic archaeologists) great
hope in finding out more about The Cult Of Plonk and those
who belonged to it. As for Versenet, the younglings call it
The Verz or simply Verz. I see younglings walking around
talking to themselves and I thought they were mentally ill
until I realized they had the new retina implant videophone. At
least when you see someone talking to their thumb, you knew
they were using their implanted thumbnail video interface. When
I was a youngling, I recall my great, great, great grandfather
telling me about oldtech called bluetooth that people once used
in conjunction with those really huge communicators called
cellphones. When my 3paw said bluetooth, I said "3pop, people
get any color tooth they want today, why could they only get a
blue tooth?" When 3paw explained that he saw people walking
around talking to themselves like they were crazy, I didn't know
then that I would have the same thing happen to me some day.
My 3paw was a cool old guy, he still wore things called eyeglasses.
My 3pop died at age 150 of TOF when Obama General Hospital
told us he didn't qualify for any more organ replacements or
regenerations. The last thing he said to us was "What a ride, what
a ride" It's amazing that when I was a youngling, people died at
such an early age. I still still think about my 3paw every day and
how much he taught me.

TDD

drag soldering temperatures [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 March 25th 10 11:22 PM
OT - I'm going drag racing Arthur2 UK diy 2 February 7th 09 11:34 AM
Might a deep sink and large garbage disposer be a problem? Joy Home Repair 10 April 6th 08 01:56 AM
bearing drag snakeriver Woodturning 11 November 14th 05 05:51 PM
for Sale Large SPINDLE Adaptor and Large 3C Collet for S/Bend LATHE [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 11th 05 09:32 PM