Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to drag large garbage can?

Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square. Full,
they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with heavy ice
plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep driveway (50' in
length). We have three of these black cans for household garbage and
landscape debris.

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster cans
up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying them (one
at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

--
-
Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 May 2010 20:22:05 -0700, "Walter E." wrote:

Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square. Full,
they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with heavy ice
plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep driveway (50' in
length). We have three of these black cans for household garbage and
landscape debris.

We have one of those. It's heavier going down the driveway than up. ;-)

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster cans
up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying them (one
at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.

You're 80YO and fill three cans a week? People typically use less as they get
older (fewer in the house, smaller meals, less junk,...).

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

Pay a neighbor kid $5 a week?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for the idea but there are no neighbors close to us (semi-rural
environment)

--
-
Walter

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

If I was your neighbor, you could call me to help. I would hope
you had a neighbor who wouldn't mind coming over to grab your can.

sorry, I couldn't help it 8-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, most of the stuff is not empty pizza wrappers, although we have a lot
of those, too. It's gardening debris from a one acre lot.

--
-
Walter

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter E. wrote:
Well, most of the stuff is not empty pizza wrappers, although we have
a lot of those, too. It's gardening debris from a one acre lot.

Heh!

We have those cans and the city won't pick them up if they contain "yard
waste;" There's a separate protocol for that.

I recommend piling up the clippings, etc., in the backyard and burning them.

Alternatively, put your yard waste in easier-to-handle plastic bags, put an
empty can on the curb, and discover some clever way to get the bags to the
can (in the back of your pickup, using a wheelbarrow, attaching the bags to
the harness of a (large) dog...

Can you rig up some sort of pulley system, like tenement clothes-lines?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter E. wrote:
Well, most of the stuff is not empty pizza wrappers, although we have a
lot of those, too. It's gardening debris from a one acre lot.

If you like gardening you should be making compost out of that stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter E. wrote:
Well, most of the stuff is not empty pizza wrappers, although we have a
lot of those, too. It's gardening debris from a one acre lot.

No compost pile? Yard and garden waste shouldn't be going to the
landfill anyway.

Build an enclosure for the cans up by the road, and take it up one
five-gallon bucket at a time, on a hand-truck if needed. May take a
little relandscaping to make it look right, but if you are still keeping
a garden that big, shouldn't be anything you can't handle.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 03 May 2010 22:52:06 -0500, "
wrote:

We have one of those. It's heavier going down the driveway than up. ;-)

But he lives at the bottom of his driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have one of those. It's heavier going down the driveway than up. ;-)

But he lives at the bottom of his driveway.

I think it's time to call in the experts. Where's Walter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have one of those. It's heavier going down the driveway than up. ;-)

But he lives at the bottom of his driveway.

Though I've certainly seen it, I'd never buy a house lower than street level.
Hauling garbage cans would be the least of my worries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Though I've certainly seen it, I'd never buy a house lower than street
level. Hauling garbage cans would be the least of my worries.

yuck, I'd never buy one.

Especially in Nashville

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have one of those. It's heavier going down the driveway than up. ;-)
But he lives at the bottom of his driveway.

Though I've certainly seen it, I'd never buy a house lower than street level.
Hauling garbage cans would be the least of my worries.

Chuckle. Try living in a lake-front house on most man-made lakes. Hill
slump is a big problem, and you have to design the utility feeds and
foundations accordingly.

Good point. I was thinking about doing just that in a few years. Maybe not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2010 11:22 PM, Walter E. wrote:
Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square.
Full, they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with
heavy ice plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep
driveway (50' in length). We have three of these black cans for
household garbage and landscape debris.

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster
cans up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying
them (one at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

In our town, people with disabilities are not required to bring the
trash cans to the curb. You might call the town and explain that it
is not feasible for you to bring the cans to the curb. I suspect (in
light of all the disability laws) that they will have someone fetch them
for you.

Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"GeorgeD" wrote in message
[...]

OMIGAWD, THERE ARE REASONABLE INTELLIGENT PEOPLE HERE WHO CAN READ! Kudos,
George.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter E." wrote:

-snip-

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

I'd be willing to bet you're not the only 80yr old with a long
driveway your hauler has ever come across. Give them a call & see
if they have an idea.

I'd probably end up building something like a walker with good sized
swivel tires so all I had to contend with was forward motion- not
holding the weight on 2 wheels.

Got an old golf cart lying around?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter E. wrote:
Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square.
Full, they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with
heavy ice plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep
driveway (50' in length). We have three of these black cans for
household garbage and landscape debris.

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster
cans up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying
them (one at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

Paved drive? Could buy or build a small cart to take stuff up the hill.
We have the monster cans with wheels, but they are in the lot and the
city rolls them out to the truck. I would not consider filling a
standard garb. can, much less the monster cans, and trying to maneuver
it by myself. The solution might be to have an enclosure at the top of
the hill for the cans and take smaller batches of trash to the cans there.

I'm not 80, but I can almost see it from here. No 80 y/o has any
business trudging up a hill with a load like you describe...gotta plan
for your own safety, above all else. A garden cart will take plenty in
one batch up the hill to empty there. Hauling a heavy can with an arm
out the window of your car is likely to get you a broken arm, or worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Walter E. wrote:
[...]

I had a similar problem and I decided to start a mulch pile in a remote
corner of my property. Mostly grass clippings and small bush cuttings.
That took care of most of the heavy stuff. A neighbor complained about
it to the code enforcement people. They came out and said I had a great
idea and they started to encourage all rural folks to do the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck wrote:
wrote:
Walter E. wrote:
[...]

Good job! A lot of places won't take grass clippings and other garden
waste. Although I like the compost idea, I'm sort of stuck wondering if
that compost stuff wouldn't help the landfill compost most of the paper
type waste?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-04, Tony wrote:

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

Put a sign on it:

Do not remove under penalty of law.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I'm not 80, but I can almost see it from here. No 80 y/o has any business
trudging up a hill with a load like you describe

Not true! Taking things "easy" is how you become decrepit. My 86 year old
mother regularly hikes (even with recent foot surgery), works out every day,
and does all her own yard work. Dragging the cans to the curb every week is
a given. And she's only 110 lbs at 5 ft. Man up already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
wrote in message

I'm not 80, but I can almost see it from here. No 80 y/o has any business
trudging up a hill with a load like you describe

Not true! Taking things "easy" is how you become decrepit. My 86 year old
mother regularly hikes (even with recent foot surgery), works out every day,
and does all her own yard work. Dragging the cans to the curb every week is
a given. And she's only 110 lbs at 5 ft. Man up already.

I'll bet your mom doesn't haul 200# loads. More power to her. There is
a big difference between being active and taking chances. 80 y/o bones
break easily, and don't heal as easily. I've become much more aware of
fall hazards around the house, and have made my home safer. I do a lot
of physical work and hope always to be able to do so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
h wrote:
wrote in message

I'm not 80, but I can almost see it from here. No 80 y/o has any
business trudging up a hill with a load like you describe

Not true! Taking things "easy" is how you become decrepit. My 86 year old
mother regularly hikes (even with recent foot surgery), works out every
day, and does all her own yard work. Dragging the cans to the curb every
week is a given. And she's only 110 lbs at 5 ft. Man up already.

I'll bet your mom doesn't haul 200# loads. More power to her. There is a
big difference between being active and taking chances. 80 y/o bones
break easily, and don't heal as easily. I've become much more aware of
fall hazards around the house, and have made my home safer. I do a lot of
physical work and hope always to be able to do so.

I disagree. Her wheelbarrow is nearly as large as she is, yet she fills it
full up with dirt/gravel/whatever, and hauls it all over the yard. Could
easily be 200lbs. Again, if you don't use it, you lose it. Weight resistance
builds bone strength/density. She fell on the ice last year and not only did
she not break anything, she didn't even bruise. Her solution to slipping on
the ice wasn't to get someone to do her shoveling for her, she bought
crampons to slip on over her boots. She has someone plow the driveway, but
she like to shovel the front and back walkways - she says it "keeps her
young".

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
wrote in message
m...
h wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

As I said before, there is a big difference between healthy exercise and
taking chances. As active as many elderly are, a broken hip can mean
permanent disability or death. As a retired nurse, I have seen it many,
many times. Just keeping mental track, I figured over the years that
the most common cause of falls for elderly that resulted in broken hips
was...hurrying to the restroom.

My mom gave herself a present for her 80th and hired someone to clean
her eavestroughs for her. They did not do a satisfactory job, so she
resumed climbing on a ladder and doing it herself (single story home).

My husband is exceedingly strong, but when he isn't around and I want to
do something that requires moving something heavy, I engineer it.
Fitness does not equal foolishness...if the trip is a long one, there is
no reason to risk a fall on ice or a back injury toting a heavy load.
Taking more, smaller loads increases exercise and reduces chance of
strain. As others have suggested, using vegetative waste for mulch is
also a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter E. wrote:
Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square.
Full, they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with
heavy ice plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep
driveway (50' in length). We have three of these black cans for
household garbage and landscape debris.

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster
cans up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying
them (one at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

Get a cheap utility trailer for your garden tractor. Keep the cans in
the trailer. On garbage day, haul the trailer up to the road with your
garden tractor and unhitch it there. If needed, get a $20 trailer jack
with a wheel so you can hook up easy.

--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 May 2010 20:22:05 -0700, "Walter E." wrote
Re How to drag large garbage can?:

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

I had a similar problem that I solved by leaving the trash can by the
road, chained to a tree. I bring the trash (in plastic bags) to the
can by placing it in the trunk of my car trunk and bring the bag to
the can when I go to pick up the mail. On trash pick-up day I unchain
the can and re-chain it after the pickup.

Now I never have to deal with more than the weigh of a single plastic
trash bag.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 May 2010 20:22:05 -0700, "Walter E." wrote

I had a similar problem that I solved by leaving the trash can by the
road, chained to a tree. I bring the trash (in plastic bags) to the
can by placing it in the trunk of my car trunk and bring the bag to
the can when I go to pick up the mail. On trash pick-up day I unchain
the can and re-chain it after the pickup.

I'm sure your neighbors love that. In my town, you'd be in violation of
local laws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 May 2010 11:38:16 -0400, "h"
wrote Re How to drag large garbage can?:

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 3 May 2010 20:22:05 -0700, "Walter E." wrote

I had a similar problem that I solved by leaving the trash can by the
road, chained to a tree. I bring the trash (in plastic bags) to the
can by placing it in the trunk of my car trunk and bring the bag to
the can when I go to pick up the mail. On trash pick-up day I unchain
the can and re-chain it after the pickup.

I'm sure your neighbors love that. In my town, you'd be in violation of
local laws.

I live in a rural area like the OP. The nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile
away. There are no such laws here, and the can is not visible from
the road.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 May 2010 20:22:05 -0700, "Walter E." wrote
Re How to drag large garbage can?:

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

I had a similar problem that I solved by leaving the trash can by the
road, chained to a tree. I bring the trash (in plastic bags) to the
can by placing it in the trunk of my car trunk and bring the bag to
the can when I go to pick up the mail. On trash pick-up day I unchain
the can and re-chain it after the pickup.

Now I never have to deal with more than the weigh of a single plastic
trash bag.

I love walking bags of trash down to the can. Particularly if it is
raining, snowing, sleeting, windy, and my favorite ....... ICY! Makes me
feel more like a man.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter E." wrote in message
[...]

You qualify for some type of assistance on and above that of a regular
citizen. What if you were in a wheelchair?

Call the hauler, and explain the situation, and you are requesting special
service. If that doesn't work, , and ask to speak to the (ADA American's
with Disability Act) compliance officer. If they are a big outfit, they
will have one. If they are not, they will not want to be messing with the
feds, and you will probably get their attention. BE NICE! Explain to them
that you just can't lug these things down to the pickup point, THAT YOU ARE
REQUESTING A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION UNDER THE ADA LAW. Also, casually
mention that you'd hate it if you were to have an accident while trying to
use THEIR equipment. I bet they will do one of two things. One, they will
send a special truck to pick up your trash, or they will have the guys come
up the hill and schlep the garbage down. If they do have the guys do the
extra work, you might have an extra charge, but I'd investigate that, too.
And if they did do the extra work to come all the way up, go out there when
it's hot and give them a couple of cold sodas or Gatorades or donuts and
coffee when it's cold. If you get the hearts of the guys on the truck, they
will go the extra mile for you. The ones I had at my houses would have
taken away a dead body for a $5 tip and a couple of cold Gatorades.

Try reason and niceness first before you pullout the ADA card. No need to
wave the feds in their face if you can just get what you want with a little
kindness.

As I have written in my blog under "Stuff" category, get every aid you can
because of your age and limitations. You earned them and you paid for them
by paying taxes for a very long time.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter E." wrote in message
[...]

I am 62. I have two of those large puppies because we only get garbage
pickup once a week. The pickup point is at least 1/2 mile away from my
house. I have an ATV. For a long time, I would tie one to the back, and
roll it down, tipped slightly. Sometimes, I had two of them on there.
Sometimes they spilled. But the route was fairly flat with only a couple of
steep dips. I never could get the hang of just pulling it with my hand, as
I have had two shoulder surgeries and heart surgery.

I did find a little trailer at a yard sale that will carry the two of them,
and up to five empty ones. When they are all empty, I bring back mine and
the neighbor's. If he's first to get there when they're empty, he brings
mine.

That would not help you. Get some help before you hurt yourself. I know
you're tough, but it's time to stand back and watch the young guys do it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter E. wrote:
Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square.
Full, they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them
with heavy ice plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly
steep driveway (50' in length). We have three of these black cans for
household garbage and landscape debris.

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these
monster cans up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have
tried tying them (one at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside
my trunk.
The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up
the hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip
over sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same
problem.
Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

At the very least, you should be able to get them to supply you with smaller,
more manageable containers. I'd be surprised that they wouldn't offer to get the
containers for you in this case, however.

A compost pile can make good stuff out of all that organic waste. I'd never give
it all away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter E. wrote:
Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square.
Full, they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with
heavy ice plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep
driveway (50' in length). We have three of these black cans for
household garbage and landscape debris.

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster
cans up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying
them (one at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

Get an incinerator or outdoor wood stove. Burn everything.
Take your cans and bottles back to the store and throw them in THEIR
dumpster.

--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 8:22*pm, "Walter E." wrote:
[...]

Walter, DON'T DON'T DON'T t!!!! I have read the entire thread, and
beg you to heed the advice contacting the municipality or
whomever,
and requesting aid in light of your age and the steep driveway.
Explore all levels of government, and if nothing works, contact a
senior center
in your nearest municipality and explain your predicament. I bet they
will be able to help you.

If all else fails, do budget for a few bucks to a youngster (or even
an unemployed person). IT'S NOT WORTH THE POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCES!

Last summer, I was pushing -- on the flats --my wheeled recycling
cart, which the transient apt. dwellers across the alley had filled
with 40 lbs. of their moving-out paper discards. (The alley, BTW),has
plenty of oversize recycling carts!! When I raised hell with the
City, they finally provided this building with the recycling carts
they should have had all along -- this was after decades of them
dumping in my cans.)

It got away from me and I ended up head-first inside the can, with a
giant gash and a broken wrist. You can imagine how long it took for
the wrist to heal (I am no spring chicken either!). It is NOT WORTH
IT for you to risk something similar, or heaven forbid, a broken
hip. !!!

Pls reassure me & group that you are taking action -- in keeping with
your URL "Rationality.net" g

Hypatia

drag soldering temperatures [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 March 25th 10 11:22 PM
OT - I'm going drag racing Arthur2 UK diy 2 February 7th 09 11:34 AM
Might a deep sink and large garbage disposer be a problem? Joy Home Repair 10 April 6th 08 01:56 AM
bearing drag snakeriver Woodturning 11 November 14th 05 05:51 PM
for Sale Large SPINDLE Adaptor and Large 3C Collet for S/Bend LATHE [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 11th 05 09:32 PM