Posted to alt.home.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Might a deep sink and large garbage disposer be a problem?

We are going to replace the cabinets and add a granite counter in our
kitchen and part of the job is moving the sink so all the related plumbing
lines will be relocated.

The contractor says for us to purchase our own undermount sink and a
disposer. We found a good deal on a 10 inch deep stainless steel sink
which will be another inch or so deeper due to the undermounting in the
granite.

I found a 3/4 hp Sears Kenmore disposer (7 yr in home warranty!) and was
wondering if this monster would be a problem to install with so deep a
sink.

All the pipes and drains have to be redone so it's not a question of retro
fitting them.

Does it sound like all those traps and twisty pipes will go in ok with
this arrangement?

Don't forget the dishwasher hookup!

Thanks for reassurances or pointing out possible problems!

Joy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joy" wrote in message
news
[...]

what does the plumber say about it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 7:18*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:04:58 GMT, Joy wrote:
[...]

Personally Id go for a solid surface type sink but its just
preference.
Dump the Sears crap and get a real disposal. A 1 hp model.
In-Sink-erator works just fine.http://www.insinkerator.com/product/...6&template=hhd
It will all fit just fine with the amount of plumbing fittings
available out there.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

If you were trying to put a deeper sink into an existing location, it
could be a problem, depending on how far below the sink the waste pipe
coming out of the wall is. Since you're moving the sink, it should
not be a problem. The disposal will have a diagram that shows the
mounting limitations and the plumber can handle it. If you need to
consider other models, they should be available at the manufacturers
website.

3/4 hp is fine, I've never had one more powerful and never had any
problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 7:00�pm, wrote:
On Apr 4, 7:18�pm, Bubba wrote:

[...]

problems.- Hide quoted text -

a general rule, dont buy the cheapest of anything cause its typically
built for a price point and its cheaped out.

the mst expensive cater too the high end must have the best crowd
price is no object.

reliable dependable is the mid price of whatever you buy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 6:04*pm, Joy wrote:
[...]

I don't know how big the Kenmore disposal is, but I'd lean towards
something from the Insinkerator Evolution series, not just for size,
but for quality. See your choices here..they even have a Compact model
for tight spaces:

http://www.insinkerator.com/product/selector.php

They make the Compact a bit smaller by using less insulation so it is
*supposedly* less quiet than some of their other models. I have one,
and with the water running, I can't even tell that it is on. My old
Kenmore could be heard across the street!

Another feature to look for is how the drain shield is installed. I
don't know about the current Kenmore, but the shield on my old one was
sandwiched between the sink and the chrome ring that holds the drain
in. After a few years the rubber began to rip, which not only let
noise escape, but it also spit water up at you while it was running.
To replace it meant dismantling everything under the sink to drop the
disposal.

The Insinkerator uses a removable shield that just drops in the top of
the drain. If it ever gets old, you just toss it and insert a new one.
It is baffled in such a way that it causes the running water to muffle
the noise - a pretty neat design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 9:10*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 4, 6:04*pm, Joy wrote:

[...]

the noise - a pretty neat design.- Hide quoted text -

One thing I liked about the Insinkerator was that the rim/ring piece
you see that goes in the bottom of the sink was a higher polish and
much nicer finish than the ones from other units I looked at. It's
the kind of thing you probably wouldn't notice until it was too late.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/4/2008 7:18 PM Bubba said the following:
[...]

Sears doesn't make anything. The Kenmore disposers may possibly be made
by InSinkErator. They look suspiciously alike.
Insinkerator - http://tinyurl.com/5jfq7o
Kenmore -* *http://tinyurl.com/6dtagm

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 4, 5:04*pm, Joy wrote:

snip

The contractor says for us to purchase our own undermount sink and a *
disposer. *We found a good deal on a 10 inch deep stainless steel sink *
which will be another inch or so deeper due to the undermounting in the *
granite.

Another example of following a fad which results in expense,
complications, inefficiencies and unsanitary conditions. But it will
look just the pictures in the glossy brochures, so enjoy. Keep in mind
the recession is real and compare budget figures for what you want
with more practical installations. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Might a deep sink and large garbage disposer be a problem? Clearification...

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 18:04:58 -0400, Joy wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the responces so far but most of them did not address my
question.

Two people said the disposer would fit under the deep sink with no problem
and nobody said it would not so I feel this is the correct answer so far.
I will OF COURSE ask the contractor when he is here next time, but I trust
the opinions here and you guys often point out and mention things that
others never think of!

I, too, think Kenmore disposers are made by Insinkerator. That's what the
salesman at Sears said also. The 3/4 HP model I purchased seems nice for
the price ($149 on sale) and has steel this and insulated that and a 7
year come-to-my-house warranty (I know, I know - probably only useable if
it sets the house on fire). The 5/8 HP insinkerator at Lowes was $169 not
on sale and had a 4 year warranty. My choice seems good to me.

The 18 gauge SS 10" deep sink was $278 at Lowes. It's the 19" x 25" model
and only some big plumbing stores carried the 9 and 8 inch depths in this
size but the 9 inch was about $400 and the 8 inch about $200. The 8" depth
is 20 gauge instead of 18. After taking all this into consideration, we
decided on the 10". Besides, it can double as a swimming pool!

None of this has any bearing on my original question, but the answers I am
getting here seem to be centered around the disposer and the other items
I've choosen. I don't do 'fads'. I've put a lot of research into the
faucet, sink, disposer and you don't want to know how much I've learned
about undercounter hard-wired 120V Xenon lights!

Good point about the removable rubber part in the disposer. I didn't know
any were made that were removable. I'm also used to the built in models
where, if the rubber rips, it's a hassle to replace.

So, thanks again for the current and future comments. Nobody thinks of
everything and the more comments I get, the more I learn even though all I
originally asked is if there would be a problem with a deep, undermounted
sink and a large disposer.

Joy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 5:27*pm, Joy wrote:
[...]

Joy- Hide quoted text -

If the Kenmore is indeed made by Insinkerator, then it might have the
removeable baffle.

That said, based on my experiences with other Kenmore-labled products,
I'd probably pay the extra money just so I wouldn't see the Kenmore
name everytime I reached for the dishwasher soap. Does that make
sense? Nope...but sometimes you gotta give in to the emotions.