Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default drag soldering temperatures

Hello all,
I just realized that they make hoof tips for my MX500. I occasionally
work up projects with SOIC, SSOP, and QFP chips, and while I get good
results with a micro tip, I can do better with a hoof. I've got a
bunch of QFP reworks coming up in the near future.

I have a lot of metcal tips, and I know from experience that you
sometimes need to bump up to the next hotter range with long-reach
tips. So rather than spend 80 bucks on both tips, I was wondering if
someone could tell me whether the 600 or 700 degree gives better
results.

The part I'm looking at is the SMTC-_167. It's available in 600 or 700
degrees F.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 21, 10:33*am, "
wrote:
Hello all,
I just realized that they make hoof tips for my MX500. I occasionally
work up projects with SOIC, SSOP, and QFP chips, and while I get good
results with a micro tip, I can do better with a hoof. I've got a
bunch of QFP reworks coming up in the near future.

I have a lot of metcal tips, and I know from experience that you
sometimes need to bump up to the next hotter range with long-reach
tips. So rather than spend 80 bucks on both tips, I was wondering if
someone could tell me whether the 600 or 700 degree gives better
results.

The part I'm looking at is the SMTC-_167. It's available in 600 or 700
degrees F.

I vote for 700. I have some 600 degree tips for my Metcal and I don't
like them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks. I suspected as much. I have a long-reach fine point at 600 F
that just doesn't get hot enough for any but the tiniest components.
Smartheat tips seem to be no better than anything else when you put
more than a few millimeters between the heater and the actual tip. The
biggest advantage IMO is the handpiece. Whenever I use another iron I
feel like I'm swinging a baseball bat or jousting.

On Mar 23, 8:41*am, Boris Mohar wrote:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:46:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Mar 21, 10:33*am, "
wrote:

The part I'm looking at is the SMTC-_167. It's available in 600 or 700
degrees F.

I vote for 700. I have some 600 degree tips for my Metcal and I don't
like them.

*I second that.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 24, 7:50*am, " wrote:
Thanks. I suspected as much. I have a long-reach fine point at 600

that just doesn't get hot enough for any but the tiniest

components.
Smartheat tips seem to be no better than anything else when you put
more than a few millimeters between the heater and the actual tip.

The
biggest advantage IMO is the handpiece. Whenever I use another iron

feel like I'm swinging a baseball bat or jousting.

You mean a soldering tusk? I just picked up a dozen tips on eBay, 2 of
which are 800 degree STTC-836. I haven't tried them yet and don't
expect to 'need' them but it's nice to have them available. Also got 4
STTC-126 tips (my favorite for both SMT and through hole) for $41.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How many kinds of soldering implements are named after cattle parts?

The tip I'm looking at is SMTC-1167. I'd describe it as an oblique
conical frustum.. like the one you describe but with a rounded tip and
flat on only one side. I don't have one of these on my bench but I
tried drag soldering with a similar one and I can't get it to work as
well.

When I left a job about ten years ago, I poured the contents of my
desk drawer into a cardboard box and didn't give it much thought. I
went through it later and found about a dozen metcal tips in there
that my predecessor had left behind, some in original packaging. A
year or so later, that turned out to be one of the factors in buying
my MX500.

I see a lot of metcal stuff for sale on eBay.. is it generally pretty
safe?

On Mar 24, 10:34*pm, wrote:
On Mar 24, 7:50*am, " wrote:
* Thanks. I suspected as much. I have a long-reach fine point at 600
* that just doesn't get hot enough for any but the tiniest
components.
* Smartheat tips seem to be no better than anything else when you put
* more than a few millimeters between the heater and the actual tip.
The
* biggest advantage IMO is the handpiece. Whenever I use another iron
* feel like I'm swinging a baseball bat or jousting.

You mean a soldering tusk? I just picked up a dozen tips on eBay, 2 of
which are 800 degree STTC-836. I haven't tried them yet and don't
expect to 'need' them but it's nice to have them available. Also got 4
STTC-126 tips (my favorite for both SMT and through hole) for $41.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

How many kinds of soldering implements are named after cattle parts?

How many cars were marketed to Proctologists?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

How many kinds of soldering implements are named after cattle parts?

How many cars were marketed to Proctologists?

Ford Probe?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"[SMF]" wrote:

" wrote:

How many kinds of soldering implements are named after cattle parts?

How many cars were marketed to Proctologists?

Ford Probe?

You got it, in one! ;-)