Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default How to drag large garbage can?

On May 4, 2:52*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On May 3, 8:22*pm, "Walter E." wrote:

Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square. Full,
they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with heavy ice
plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep driveway (50' in
length). We have three of these black cans for household garbage and
landscape debris.

I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster cans
up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying them (one
at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.

The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the
hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over
sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.

Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.

--
-
Walterwww.rationality.net

Walter, DON'T DON'T DON'T t!!!! *I have read the entire thread, and
beg you to heed the advice contacting the municipality or
whomever,
and requesting aid in light of your age and the steep driveway.
Explore all levels of government, and if nothing works, contact a
senior center
in your nearest municipality and explain your predicament. *I bet they
will be able to help you.

If all else fails, do budget for a few bucks to a youngster (or even
an unemployed person). *IT'S NOT WORTH THE POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCES!

Last summer, I was pushing -- on the flats --my wheeled recycling
cart, which the transient apt. dwellers across the alley had filled
with 40 lbs. of their moving-out paper discards. *(The alley, BTW),has
plenty of oversize recycling carts!! *When I raised hell with the
City, they finally provided this building with the recycling carts
they should have had all along -- this was after decades of them
dumping in my cans.)

It got away from me and I ended up head-first inside the can, with a
giant gash and *a broken wrist. * You can imagine how long it took for
the wrist to heal (I am no spring chicken either!). *It is NOT WORTH
IT for you to risk something similar, or heaven forbid, a broken
hip. !!!

Pls reassure me & group that you are taking action -- in keeping with
your URL "Rationality.net" g

Hypatia

WALTER, ARE YOU LISTENING?

I hope by now you have reached out to your local government,
municipal, county, whatever, for assistance,
as well as to the Senior Center, and/or to a house of worship, if you
belong to one (though somebody who
signs "rationality.net" may not be affiliated g

Somebody in this thread -- maybe more than one poster -- mentioned
slipping on the ice.

Here's "Dear Abby" for today:

"DEAR ABBY: Early this year, my mother went to the curb to collect the
empty trash bin and put it away for the week. As she wheeled it behind
her home, she slipped on the ice and BROKE HER HIP.C She lives alone
and was in the back of her property where NOBODY COULD SEE OR HEAR
HER.
Fortunately, she'd had the foresight to GRAB HER CELL PHONE before she
went outside. Because she was unable to stand up she could have frozen
to death. She called 911 and within minutes an ambulance arrived to
take her to the hospital.

Mom had surgery to repair the hip and is recovering, but it was a
close call. This is a reminder to your readers that if they live alone
-- or have parents who do -- to make sure to have a cell phone
available at all times. -- RELIEVED SON IN ELKHART, IND.

DEAR RELIEVED SON: I'm pleased to pass along your important message.
Your mother did, indeed, have a close call. It must have been her
guardian angel who handed her her cell phone as she left the house
that wintry day. Please tell her I said so and that I hope she's
better soon."

I don't go for that "guardian angel" crap; maybe the mother was just
being "rational".

Reason I'm posting this is to reinforce what seems to be a NG opinion
that you are taking big chances, mickey-mousing
your trash collection by the various means you have outlined.

Take your sword and cut the Gordian knot before it's too late!

Hypatia