Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden Shed

I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about skunks
living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. I
am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much underneath it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb.
Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of
gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about skunks
living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. I
am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much underneath
it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb.
Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of
gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate

Is your Yorkie a standard or an attack Yorkie? You can
tell the later by the six inch fangs.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 5:04*am, Kate wrote:
I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about skunks
living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. *I
am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much underneath it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb.
Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of
gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate

Put screen around the bottom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2010 7:22 AM, ransley wrote:
On Apr 17, 5:04 am, wrote:
I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about skunks
living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. I
am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much underneath it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb.
Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of
gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate

Put screen around the bottom

As to screening, I was told by my local
Animal Control to use the 1/2" hardware
cloth screening. They told me to attach
it to the structure, mine was a concrete
stoop where the skunk were digging under
the stoop. Then, and most importantly,
the hardware cloth should go vertically
down underground about 1/2 foot and then
90 degrees out for at lease a foot or 2.
I did this. I didn't want to drill
and screw the hardware cloth into the
concrete, so I just made a 90 degree
piece, 6" vertical and about a foot
horizontal. The soil held it nicely in
place. The next day, the skunk dug in
about 4 different places and when
encountering the hardware cloth, moved
on. Solved the problem; that was
probably 15 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Apr 17, 5:04 am, Kate wrote:
I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about skunks
living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. I
am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much underneath it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb.
Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of
gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate

Put screen around the bottom

But make sure it is vacant at the time, and also put metal fabric down
far enough so they won't just dig under it to get back in.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 5:04 am, wrote:
[...]

Exactly what I did to keep the chipmunks from digging under my 4 Seasons
Sunroom.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 5:04 am, wrote:
[...]

This is an excellent idea. I called my local friendly Ace store and
they have it.

Many thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 4/17/2010 5:04 AM, Kate wrote:
I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about skunks
living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. I
am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much underneath
it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb.
Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of
gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate

On the other hand if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone.
I've had skunks living under my shed for years. They mind their own
business and for all it's worth make better neighbors than some of
the people in the area.

Yorkie will eventually figure it out, both my dogs have been sprayed a
couple of times. They leave the skunks alone now.

I live in an area with lot's of wildlife. I'm as likely to find a bear
or a deer in my yard as a skunk.

The critters were here before me and will still be here when I'm gone.
I made a deal with Mother Nature before I started building. I'll only
take what I need and leave the rest for her. She rewards me constantly.

Sorry to say this but you people living in manicured HOA ghettos,
knee deep in every poison available don't have a clue.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 03:04:52 -0700, Kate wrote:

I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about skunks
living underneath it.

Any evidence of skunks?!

- eating grubs or worms in the lawn

- disappearing pet food

- both grubs and food disappearing, so the skunk takes a nap under the
shade

Concern yourself when you see a skunk.

Art gave you good advice for when the time comes...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2010 12:02 PM, Marina wrote:
wrote in
:

I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about
skunks living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood.
I am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much
underneath it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5
lb. Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder
blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of
gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate

Something to think about....if you have racoons in the area, they could
bite and claw their way thru the siding. That's what they did to my shed.
They also tried it on the house, but the house shingles are stronger. But
they did manage to do a bit of damage to the surface.

I have not seen any racoons, but anything is possible.
How did you remedy that problem?

Thanks for the tip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2010 12:14 PM, LdB wrote:
On 4/17/2010 5:04 AM, Kate wrote:
[...]

I understand where you are coming from.

My little dog is only five pounds, and it would just take one time and
the skunk could drag her off. That is what I have heard anyway.

I would be heartbroken if that happened, knowing that I could have done
something about it.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marina" wrote in message
Kate wrote in
:

[...]

I had some homeless guy living under my deck. Had to call the cops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
On 4/17/2010 12:14 PM, LdB wrote:
On 4/17/2010 5:04 AM, Kate wrote:
[...]

I once had a Weimaraner that retrieved bricks and small motor vehicles.
He considered anything stinky to be perfume, I think he would have made
friends with a skunk and requested a spray.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 4/17/2010 6:35 PM, Kate wrote:
On 4/17/2010 12:14 PM, LdB wrote:
On 4/17/2010 5:04 AM, Kate wrote:
[...]

I've got cats as well as dogs, nobody's ever got dragged away by
anything. Falling back on my experience living in the city I know that
pets are far more likely to be harmed by your neighbors than any of
the wildlife around here whether it be by attack or disease.

I walk with my dogs for at least an hour and a half every day. Our
last walk of the day is usually around midnight. I've been less than a
stones throw from every critter in the area. Wolves, and bears
included. I feel safer with them than I would with some of the
screwballs that frequent this newsgroup. You can bet there's a few
like them within a stones throw of your house. If there was any harm
done around your place by a skunk I'll lay odds it would be done by
the two legged variety.

Give your four legged visitors a little respect, they'll return it.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:40:23 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I once had a Weimaraner that retrieved bricks and small motor vehicles.

That must have been one dumb ass Weimaraner. Wait 'till that bitch
makes puppies.

No wait.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:35:08 -0700, Kate wrote:

My little dog is only five pounds, and it would just take one time and
the skunk could drag her off. That is what I have heard anyway.

Forget the skunk! Watch out for Eagles, large - really huge owls.

Skunks don't "drag" dogs off.

I have seen a skunk in Pennsylvania, est. 16 lbs. He could stand flat
footed an kiss a turkey in the last part over the fence.

I would be heartbroken if that happened, knowing that I could have done
something about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I once had a Weimaraner that retrieved bricks and small motor vehicles.

That must have been one dumb ass Weimaraner. Wait 'till that bitch
makes puppies.

No wait.

Last time I saw him was 31 years ago and I wish I had a descendant
of my dog. I raised him from a pup and he was a great dog. You can
call my mother names but don't dis my dog. In fact, if someone calls
me SOB, I ask, "How do you know my mother, where did you meat her?"
*snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I once had a Weimaraner that retrieved bricks and small motor vehicles.

That must have been one dumb ass Weimaraner. Wait 'till that bitch
makes puppies.

No wait.

Last time I saw him was 31 years ago and I wish I had a descendant
of my dog. I raised him from a pup and he was a great dog. You can
call my mother names but don't dis my dog. In fact, if someone calls
me SOB, I ask, "How do you know my mother, where did you meat her?"
*snicker*

TDD

Back in the 70's my Weimaraner, Gretchen "hooked" up with my Blue Tic
/ Walker hound, Blu. They made chocolate puppies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I once had a Weimaraner that retrieved bricks and small motor vehicles.
That must have been one dumb ass Weimaraner. Wait 'till that bitch
makes puppies.

No wait.

Last time I saw him was 31 years ago and I wish I had a descendant
of my dog. I raised him from a pup and he was a great dog. You can
call my mother names but don't dis my dog. In fact, if someone calls
me SOB, I ask, "How do you know my mother, where did you meat her?"
*snicker*

TDD

Back in the 70's my Weimaraner, Gretchen "hooked" up with my Blue Tic
/ Walker hound, Blu. They made chocolate puppies.

Some of those New Orleans dogs, they could be mayor. *snicker*
I'll bet those were some bonkers puppies.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 03:04:52 -0700, Kate wrote:

I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about skunks
living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. I
am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much underneath it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb.
Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of
gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate

I'd remove the wood, it rots. Use galvanized hardware cloth to keep
out varments but allow plenty of airflow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LdB" wrote in message
On 4/17/2010 6:35 PM, Kate wrote:
On 4/17/2010 12:14 PM, LdB wrote:
On 4/17/2010 5:04 AM, Kate wrote:
[...]

Maybe you live in a Disney movie but out here in the REAL world pets
disappear all the time...It is in the local papers ALL the time..Especially
in early spring , late winter when food is really scarce.....Be it by
coyotes , bobcats , fishers or eagles and hawks...Coyotes are the most
common cause...Up here in Maine there is no closed season on the vermin and
even contests to see who can get the most , biggest , ect...They are also
taking a BIG toll on the Whitetails..They weren't ALWAYS here either...They
are a recent immigrant...

Garden Shed (0/1) Fred Woodworking 2 June 4th 06 08:01 PM
Garden shed - How big???? Pedro Popadopolous UK diy 6 July 20th 05 10:33 PM
Garden Shed Woodworking 9 May 3rd 05 01:52 PM
So this is a garden shed... Rod Hewitt UK diy 12 November 23rd 03 04:30 PM
Garden Shed Andrew McKay UK diy 4 August 25th 03 04:45 PM