Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Garden Shed

"LdB" wrote in message
On 4/17/2010 6:35 PM, Kate wrote:
On 4/17/2010 12:14 PM, LdB wrote:
On 4/17/2010 5:04 AM, Kate wrote:
I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about
skunks
living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. I
am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much
underneath
it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb.
Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of
gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate

On the other hand if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. I've
had skunks living under my shed for years. They mind their own business
and for all it's worth make better neighbors than some of the people in
the area.

Yorkie will eventually figure it out, both my dogs have been sprayed a
couple of times. They leave the skunks alone now.

I live in an area with lot's of wildlife. I'm as likely to find a bear
or a deer in my yard as a skunk.

The critters were here before me and will still be here when I'm gone. I
made a deal with Mother Nature before I started building. I'll only take
what I need and leave the rest for her. She rewards me constantly.

Sorry to say this but you people living in manicured HOA ghettos, knee
deep in every poison available don't have a clue.

LdB

I understand where you are coming from.

My little dog is only five pounds, and it would just take one time and
the skunk could drag her off. That is what I have heard anyway.

I would be heartbroken if that happened, knowing that I could have done
something about it.

Thanks.

I've got cats as well as dogs, nobody's ever got dragged away by anything.
Falling back on my experience living in the city I know that pets are far
more likely to be harmed by your neighbors than any of the wildlife around
here whether it be by attack or disease.

I walk with my dogs for at least an hour and a half every day. Our last
walk of the day is usually around midnight. I've been less than a stones
throw from every critter in the area. Wolves, and bears included. I feel
safer with them than I would with some of the screwballs that frequent
this newsgroup. You can bet there's a few like them within a stones throw
of your house. If there was any harm done around your place by a skunk
I'll lay odds it would be done by the two legged variety.

Give your four legged visitors a little respect, they'll return it.

LdB

Maybe you live in a Disney movie but out here in the REAL world pets
disappear all the time...It is in the local papers ALL the time..Especially
in early spring , late winter when food is really scarce.....Be it by
coyotes , bobcats , fishers or eagles and hawks...Coyotes are the most
common cause...Up here in Maine there is no closed season on the vermin and
even contests to see who can get the most , biggest , ect...They are also
taking a BIG toll on the Whitetails..They weren't ALWAYS here either...They
are a recent immigrant...