Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Fred

Default Garden Shed (0/1)

Hi Scotty,

Thanks to the other folks for these great links...
http://members.cox.net/mconger/Timot...nstruction.htm
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...t/1276536.html

These are wonderful!!! Very professional.

From way on the other end of the spectrum..... I just finished building a
small (6x8) garden shed last weekend and thought I would pass on my
experience for what it's worth.... (I posted a sketch at
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and will try to post photos later if
anyone is interested. If you can't see that newsgroup, send me an email.)

I bought all the materials new at Home Depot -- plywood, studs, screws,
paint.... everything totals just over $400. If anyone wants a list, just
post a reply and I'll whip it out. The list, I mean....

Note that this is a SHED -- not a house or a structure built to code like
the above links. No lights, power, no water, no shirt, no shoes, no service,
etc., etc. -- just a place to store the lawnmower and hide from the lovely
wife as required.

But (and this is a big butt) it is EXACTLY what I needed and didn't take
that much time or money. It is plenty strong enough to withstand the
elements, hang shelves and tools inside. And it's nice and dry inside -- it
poured down rain four hours after I got the roof on. :O) Ask me again next
year if it held up.

Before I started, I tried to find one pre-built. I saw 6x8, 7x7, etc.,
Rubbermaid, tin, wood... but they were either too flimsy looking, full of
leaks or over priced. The nearest to what I wanted was in the $800-1000
range. I figured up the costs of materials and came up with around $400 for
a 6x8 PLUS it would be 8-ft high (extra shelf space), so I decided to build
it myself.

Here's the time it took....

- 4 hours planning
- 2 hours buying materials
- 12 hours assembly

Planning.....
I know, I know... 4 hours is a lot of time to plan something like this.
That's much more time than most people, but that's because I generally mess
these things up! This time I didn't want to spend my time cutting and
re-cutting wood and wasting the weekend. If you can do it in 5 minutes,
that's great, but take my advice and PLAN every single piece. Because I
spent all this time with a pencil, I was able to get Home Depot to cut every
piece to fit and didn't even have to get my saw out of the garage! Which is
a good thing because I have no idea where it is...

Materials.... (again, glad to give a detailed list later if anyone is
interested)
I kept the materials simple.... 3/4-in plywood for the floor, supported on
bricks. Used 2x4 and 2x2 for framing, and 1/2-in plywood for the walls.
Coated the underside of the floor with Henry's roofing material and painted
the outside walls with primer and one finish coat. For the roof, I used
corrugated polycarbonate -- the translucent type with UV protection -- and
the matching mounting pieces (this is important or it will flop all over the
place!)

Assembly...
I spent about 2 hours at Home Depot getting materials. Again, be sure to get
the wood cut there - they do it free and then all you have is a "some
assembly required" project.

7 hours on Saturday framing, floor, 2 walls, drinking Pepsi.
5 hours on Sunday finishing the structure and adding the roof (time includes
another trip to Home Depot for the corrugated roofing material and odd
pieces of wood I left out). Drank more Pepsi.

In retrospect, the there isn't much I would do differently. Only think left
to do is paint it and the time will tell what kind of job I did.

Fred

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Fred

Hi Mike!! Thanks for the email. I can receive email but not send it, so
I'll post the materials list to the newsgroup shortly. But first let me
know if you monitoring this newsgroup?

Fred

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Fred

Default Garden Shed (0/2) - Materials List & Steps

For what it's worth.... posted at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

If you can't access it, pls send me an email.

Fred

Wiring the garden shed Declan UK diy 17 January 18th 06 09:05 PM
Wiring the garden shed Declan UK diy 1 January 9th 06 11:34 AM
A very long electrical supply to garden shed Cordless Crazy UK diy 8 August 26th 05 09:54 AM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM
Spur feed to garden shed... Me UK diy 4 August 6th 03 10:13 AM