Me

Default Spur feed to garden shed...

Hi

Comments, please. I've read history in this group, consulted the Wiring Regs and the OSG. I
can find nothing that precludes me from implementing my preferred design for a power feed to the
garden shed.

I intend to take feed from kitchen ring main through a DP switch and a 13A fused spur unit to a
4mm.sq SWA cable running to the shed. I intend to fit some RCD protected mains sockets in the
shed, and take a feed through a 5A fused plate for lighting. The SWA cable is 3 core so I get a
4mm earth as well as the armour. The cable is burried at 400mm in an old metal pipe and plastic
tape above. The house istallation is PME and I have test equipment to check earth loop
impedence etc once the job is done. I will rely on the earth from the house (rather than treat
the shed as a TT, float the earth at the shed end and drop an electrode). The load in the shed
is minimal, including the use of power tools and garden tools and while I may install a small
freezer I will accept a trip risk.

I have considerable DIY electrical experience and I would not as a matter of personal preference
take a spur off the kitchen ring but I have no spare ways on the CU whuch is towards the front
of the house which has concrete floors and there's no viable cable route. My only other
possibility would be a feed from the Cooker Unit (this is a serious possibility if we put in a
gas cooker when the kitchen is refurbed!).

Can anyone point me to any breach of regs or problems in the above design - I know it's not
ideal, but it is a considered design.

Thanks
John

BigWallop

"Me" wrote in message
[...]

Wouldn't it be easier to take a two way consumer unit from your meter or
doubled up with the mains switch in the existing CU, and then run the SWA
supply from that. You say you have three cores in the SWA, so it would
allow for the lighting and power to be drawn from the red and yellow cores
and share the black as a neutral. You'll still have the armour as a decent
earth to a metal clad junction box in the shed, or spike it at the shed end
and reinforce the bonding to ground from there as it wouldn't hurt to give
any extra. This way it is on its own and will not effect the house supply
if a fault is detected in the shed.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

ARWadsworth

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Me" wrote in message
[...]

It would be better but not easier, as OP said

the CU which
is towards the front
of the house which has concrete floors and there's no viable cable

route.

Personally I see no problem as long as the sockets that will be used for
power tools are RCD protected.

Adam

Christian McArdle

I intend to take feed from kitchen ring main through a DP switch
and a 13A fused spur unit to a 4mm.sq SWA cable running to the
shed. I intend to fit some RCD protected mains sockets in the
shed, and take a feed through a 5A fused plate for lighting.

Rather than use RCD protected sockets in the shed, I'd use an RCD fused
connection unit instead of the DP switch/fused connection unit you intend.
This will mean that the cable run and lighting is also RCD protected (making
low earth loop impedence a belt and braces approach, rather than critical)
and be cheaper if you are installing more than one socket.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

I intend to take feed from kitchen ring main through a DP (...)

I forgot. If the shed has any structural metalwork or metal services, such
as plumbing of any kind, they will need to be main bonded back to the main
earthing terminal near the consumer unit using an unbroken cable of very
large cross sectional area. As you say the consumer unit is inaccessible,
this would preclude your technique and require a TT installation.

Christian.

I beams for shed roof Grunff UK diy 3 July 31st 03 07:29 PM
Power sockets in brick shed Andy Jeffries UK diy 9 July 31st 03 09:53 AM
Garden (re)design Martin UK diy 5 July 27th 03 06:17 PM
Private Sewers [Long and boring post!] Roger Mills UK diy 6 July 11th 03 04:18 PM
Shed Again Steve UK diy 1 July 10th 03 07:21 AM