Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Garden Shed

Art Todesco wrote the following:
On 4/17/2010 7:22 AM, ransley wrote:
On Apr 17, 5:04 am, wrote:
I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about
skunks
living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. I
am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much
underneath it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb.
Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of
gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate

Put screen around the bottom

As to screening, I was told by my local Animal Control to use the 1/2"
hardware cloth screening. They told me to attach it to the structure,
mine was a concrete stoop where the skunk were digging under the
stoop. Then, and most importantly, the hardware cloth should go
vertically down underground about 1/2 foot and then 90 degrees out for
at lease a foot or 2. I did this. I didn't want to drill and screw
the hardware cloth into the concrete, so I just made a 90 degree
piece, 6" vertical and about a foot horizontal. The soil held it
nicely in place. The next day, the skunk dug in about 4 different
places and when encountering the hardware cloth, moved on. Solved the
problem; that was probably 15 years ago.

Exactly what I did to keep the chipmunks from digging under my 4 Seasons
Sunroom.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY