Pedro Popadopolous

Default Garden shed - How big????

Hi,

I have a piece of concrete 10ft x 16ft with 2 wooden sheds on. They are a
little worse for wear at the moment....

I want to replace it with a single garden building. I have seen a yardmaster
metal garage shed which is 16ft x 9ft. Could I use that? Do I need any
special permission? It would be used for garden storage only and there is no
access for cars so defo cannot be deemed to be a garage.....

Any advice?

Christian McArdle

I want to replace it with a single garden building. I have seen a
yardmaster
metal garage shed which is 16ft x 9ft. Could I use that?

Probably. The floor area of your shed is (I think) under 15m2, so you could
use wood, too, even close to a boundary.

Do I need any special permission?

That depends. Is it in the back garden? How tall is it? How close to a
boundary? How close to a road/public footpath? How close to the house? How
big is your garden? Is the house listed? Do you live in a conservation area?
Do you live in a national park?

Christian.

T i m

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:58:27 +0100, "Pedro Popadopolous"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a piece of concrete 10ft x 16ft with 2 wooden sheds on. They are a
little worse for wear at the moment....

I want to replace it with a single garden building. I have seen a yardmaster
metal garage shed which is 16ft x 9ft. Could I use that? Do I need any
special permission? It would be used for garden storage only and there is no
access for cars so defo cannot be deemed to be a garage.....

Erm, I replaced an old timber / tin roof 'garage' with a steel framed,
cement fibre sides, fiberglass roof and some years later a pre-fab
concrete panel with cement fibre roof.

From memory I contacted the 'Planning' and 'Building' on both
occations and from the planning point of view as long as it's below
certian heights (I think pitched roof was 3m) and below a percentage
volume of yer house FWII you could do it under 'permitted
developement' (basically you don't need planning).

'Building' were interested to know if any of the ''structural
components' were flammable (mine weren't) so apart from roof drainage
that was pretty well it?

Best speak to the council, the rules seem so variable re time and
those people! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Pedro Popadopolous

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
I want to replace it with a single garden building. I have seen a

yardmaster
metal garage shed which is 16ft x 9ft. Could I use that?

Probably. The floor area of your shed is (I think) under 15m2, so you
could
use wood, too, even close to a boundary.

Do I need any special permission?

That depends. Is it in the back garden? How tall is it? How close to a
boundary? How close to a road/public footpath? How close to the house? How
big is your garden? Is the house listed? Do you live in a conservation
area?
Do you live in a national park?

Christian.

Hi,

It is in back garden
it is just under 3m high
about 10m from a public footpath
will be about 5m from one corner of house to side
far away from road (200m)
Is within 2 foot of my side fence
garden is 100ft across back by 60ft up sides
houes is not listed
no conservation area
no national park

Help?

Bob Minchin

Pedro Popadopolous wrote in message ...

[...]

Should be OK (JUST) under permitted development from what you say.
Make sure it is definately 5m from the nearest point of the dwelling and
make sure you don't live in the shed. Planners do not have to be consulted
although for a fee, most will give you a letter confirming the lack of
planning need. This may help you with any neighbour problems,otherwise not
worth bothering.

From BR point of view, 15m2means you can building it right up to the
boundary and make it from any material flammable or not.

This is based on my discussions with both planners and BCO last week.

HTH

Bob

Christian McArdle

Should be OK (JUST) under permitted development from what you say.

You also need to check that permitted development rights apply. The more
modern the house the more likely that no permitted development is allowed.
You should also check with the council that there isn't an "Article 4
Direction" in force.

Christian.

Alan

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a piece of concrete 10ft x 16ft with 2 wooden sheds on. They are a
little worse for wear at the moment....

I want to replace it with a single garden building. I have seen a

yardmaster
metal garage shed which is 16ft x 9ft. Could I use that? Do I need any
special permission? It would be used for garden storage only and there is

no
access for cars so defo cannot be deemed to be a garage.....

Any advice?

I have a 28' x 13' "Shed" in my back garden which is counted as a temporary
structure as made of wood!

That suits me just fine - Planning people at the time of build seemed
perfectly happy to refer to it as a "shed" because it's wood.

I bought it from http://www.warwickbuildings.co.uk/

Alan.

Garden Shed Roof Leaking News UK diy 3 November 6th 03 09:05 PM
existing base for garden shed....break it? john west++++ UK diy 2 October 9th 03 01:47 PM
break up base for garden shed? john west++++ UK diy 1 October 8th 03 11:31 AM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM
Spur feed to garden shed... Me UK diy 4 August 6th 03 10:13 AM