Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rewiring permit snag - abandoned wires

Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

Hi,
I lived in a house built in the mid-70's which had Al wires. Lived there
for almost 20 yars before I built and moved into this house.
Never had any Al wire trouble while I was living there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Limp Arbor wrote:
Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

See Question 4 at
http://www.mikeholt.
com/mojonewsarchive/NECQ-HTML/HTML/NEC_Questions003~20030324.htm

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

I think you're OK -- NEC seems to address abandoned cable only in commercial
buildings, not dwellings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 10:13*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. *He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

Note that it doesn't matter much what the NEC says. The inspector
wants it all out.

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

That makes too much sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2010 11:17 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

Hi,
I lived in a house built in the mid-70's which had Al wires. Lived there
for almost 20 yars before I built and moved into this house.
Never had any Al wire trouble while I was living there.

Ditto here. I lived in an early 70s
house for 38 years. I did pigtail all
of the aluminum at the outlets instead
of daisy chaining. Never had a problem
other than noticing a bit more voltage
drop on those circuit when starting a
motor, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 10:13*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. *He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

You could take the liberty of bull****ting him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 11:13*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. *He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

Good news! The inspector just called me back and said when I'm
removing the old Al wire just cut it off where accessible.

As long as none of the ends are exposed where it could be used again
I'm good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 3:08*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Apr 7, 11:13*am, Limp Arbor wrote:

Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. *He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

Good news! *The inspector just called me back and said when I'm
removing the old Al wire just cut it off where accessible.

As long as none of the ends are exposed where it could be used again
I'm good to go.

"As long as none of the ends are exposed where it could be used
again I'm good to go."

Why is it that I'm picturing the *next* homeowner cursing you as he
tries to extend the wires to a switch or receptacle?

"D*mn Him! Why did he cut these friggin' wires so far back? He could
have left me just a little more to work with!"

;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Limp Arbor wrote:
On Apr 7, 1:38=A0pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Apr 7, 10:13=A0am, Limp Arbor wrote:

Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

You could take the liberty of bull****ting him.

That is plan B

And when he says he won't sign off on the permit until you show him what
you've done...?

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's rare now days. A government employee who makes sense?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

Good news! The inspector just called me back and said when
I'm
removing the old Al wire just cut it off where accessible.

As long as none of the ends are exposed where it could be
used again
I'm good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 7, 11:13*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. *He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

AFAIK code explicitly permits what you suggest unless it is a new
revision and/or a local addendum.

I just got a new copy of the NEC but haven't even cracked it open yet
so I may not know something.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message ...
That's rare now days. A government employee who makes sense?

Years ago, our home's garage floor was 36" below the house floor
level, while the ceilings were the same. I had constructed a new
garage, and wanted to convert part of the old one to a game room.
I went the permit route, rather than just going ahead on my own.
The width of the new room was 14'. To keep the flooring level, I
built a knee wall 7' out from the foundation and raised the floor
using 2 X 10's set 16" OC and bridged.

The inspector who looked at my framing told me I had to remove the
2 X 10's and replace them with 2 X 8's, (possibly 2 X 6's- it was
a long time ago) since I was actually only spanning about 7' with
the joists. Needless to say, logic eventually prevailed.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message ...
That's rare now days. A government employee who makes sense?

Speaking of inspectors, I once "rewired" a modest home with
concrete block interior and exterior walls. The fellow who had
initially wired the home did it by laying 18ga. extension cord in
the mortar joint. Later, he became the wiring inspector for the
town.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member
of Congress.... But then I repeat myself.'

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's rare now days. A government employee who makes sense?

Nonsense. Most of the ones I've dealt with make great sense. Every inspector has
been great. The "tank and boiler inspector" that came out and tested the spare
used air compressor tank I bought was spectacular.

I get so tired of the bitching about government employees. I've dealt with far
worse in private businesses I've dealt with. Try getting a useful answer at Home
Depot, for instance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's rare now days. A government employee who makes sense?

Nonsense. Most of the ones I've dealt with make great sense.
Every inspector has been great. The "tank and boiler inspector"
that came out and tested the spare used air compressor tank I
bought was spectacular.

I get so tired of the bitching about government employees. I've
dealt with far worse in private businesses I've dealt with. Try
getting a useful answer at Home Depot, for instance.

Bob, I respectfully disagree. The government employees I have
encountered in almost all contact with the government at any level
are folk too dumb or too lazy to make a living in any other field.
This is even worse when it comes to elected office.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member
of Congress.... But then I repeat myself.'

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/07/2010 06:22 PM, Nonny wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's rare now days. A government employee who makes sense?

Nonsense. Most of the ones I've dealt with make great sense. Every
inspector has been great. The "tank and boiler inspector" that came
out and tested the spare used air compressor tank I bought was
spectacular.

I get so tired of the bitching about government employees. I've dealt
with far worse in private businesses I've dealt with. Try getting a
useful answer at Home Depot, for instance.

Bob, I respectfully disagree. The government employees I have
encountered in almost all contact with the government at any level are
folk too dumb or too lazy to make a living in any other field. This is
even worse when it comes to elected office.

I deal with a few inspectors on a regular basis. Some are a PITA, some
I really like. Even most of the PITA ones seem to be conscientious and
care about things being done right.

Maybe I live in a unique area...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Or maybe you can just really see reality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonny" wrote
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's rare now days. A government employee who makes sense?

Nonsense. Most of the ones I've dealt with make great sense. Every
inspector has been great. The "tank and boiler inspector" that came out
and tested the spare used air compressor tank I bought was spectacular.

I get so tired of the bitching about government employees. I've dealt
with far worse in private businesses I've dealt with. Try getting a
useful answer at Home Depot, for instance.

Bob, I respectfully disagree. The government employees I have encountered
in almost all contact with the government at any level are folk too dumb
or too lazy to make a living in any other field. This is even worse when
it comes to elected office.

--
Nonny

I can agree with the elected officials. As for others, it is unfair to
paint them all with the same brush. I've worked with some that have been
great. Very helpful, very smart, doing a fair day's work too. Sure a few
are idiots as every other line of work has too.

Every town hall has a few incompetent drones, but I can tell you stories of
various inspectors and highway department workers do a great job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 22:37:03 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Nonny" wrote
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

You want to work with Transport Canada (not).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 12:08*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Apr 7, 11:13*am, Limp Arbor wrote:

Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. *He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

Good news! *The inspector just called me back and said when I'm
removing the old Al wire just cut it off where accessible.

As long as none of the ends are exposed where it could be used again
I'm good to go.

How will you or for that matter the inspector would know if there
isn’t some errant voltage running through those flush cut conductors
that have been connected by some idiot from behind some wall someplace
just waiting for someone to flip a switch someplace to energize them
and then have something that has fallen on the bare conductors to
start a fire?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's rare now days. A government employee who makes sense?

Nonsense. Most of the ones I've dealt with make great sense. Every
inspector has been great. The "tank and boiler inspector" that came
out and tested the spare used air compressor tank I bought was
spectacular.
I get so tired of the bitching about government employees. I've dealt
with far worse in private businesses I've dealt with. Try getting a
useful answer at Home Depot, for instance.

Okay, you ask your local electrical inspector the difference between thinset
and regular grout and see what kind of answer you get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy comments:

Save all the aluminum wire you pull out. If you strip off the
romex
covering and use the individual wires, they make excellent tie wraps
for shubbery and gardening purposes. Black, white, or metal ,
depending
on what matches the color scheme of your garden.

I use 6 inch lengths to tie up my tomato plants. Best use of
aluminum
wiring I have seen to date.

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 1:16*am, Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

start a fire?- Hide quoted text -

I'm not an electrician but have done quite a bit of home wiring. You
would have to be a *special* kind of idiot to find a cut off wire
behind a wall and connect it to a live circuit. None of the cut wires
will be connected to anything so there would be no reason to ever re-
use them. This probably won't be an issue anyway because judging from
the way the original wiring was shoved on top of the concrete wall in
the basement with no staples I doubt any of it was stapled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 6:51*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:13:05 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

wrote:
Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. *He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

Leave it to the government to make a job ten times harder and more
costly. *I would have not even contacted them, jsut done the job.

Aside from making me sleep better at night knowing a professional has
looked at my work and my house is not 55 times more likely to burst
into flames...

A permit allows me to:
Call my homeowners when the work is done and get a discount for the
upgraded panel & wiring
get a discount for the hard-wired smoke detectors
Sell the house with an upgraded panel and no Aluminum wire
Every other house in this development (about 250) has Al wire
Keep Mike Holmes from stopping at my house and saying "rip it out!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard of people rewiring entire houses with 18 ga lamp
cord. Much easier to fish through the walls.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nonny" wrote in message

Speaking of inspectors, I once "rewired" a modest home with
concrete block interior and exterior walls. The fellow who
had
initially wired the home did it by laying 18ga. extension
cord in
the mortar joint. Later, he became the wiring inspector for
the
town.

--
Nonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've not visited England. I'd sure like to, some day. I've
heard the countryside is more breath taking beautiful than
much any where else in the world.

And, the people are kind and friendly. Except for the
Mussies, drug addicted TWOK'ers, the Yobs, ruffians,
gypsies, and such.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Clot" wrote in message
Bob, I respectfully disagree. The government employees I
have
encountered in almost all contact with the government at
any level
are folk too dumb or too lazy to make a living in any
other field.
This is even worse when it comes to elected office.

From the other side of The Pond, but that's my experience
too, over here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Voltage is provided. Current runs through.

There is typically something called a circuit breaker box,
which allows one to disconnect the wire from the incoming
power wiring.

With an open cut wire, there should either be a dead short,
or an open. In either case, not much chance of over heating.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Molly Brown"
wrote in message

How will you or for that matter the inspector would know if
there
isn't some errant voltage running through those flush cut
conductors
that have been connected by some idiot from behind some wall
someplace
just waiting for someone to flip a switch someplace to
energize them
and then have something that has fallen on the bare
conductors to
start a fire?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm nominating this for the good idea of the week award. Do
I have a second?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

,
depending
on what matches the color scheme of your garden.

I use 6 inch lengths to tie up my tomato plants. Best
use of
aluminum
wiring I have seen to date.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've not visited England. I'd sure like to, some day. I've
heard the countryside is more breath taking beautiful than
much any where else in the world.

For a small country, we certainly have a wide variety of scenary though we
don't do deserts, glaciers or canyons!

And, the people are kind and friendly. Except for the
Mussies, drug addicted TWOK'ers, the Yobs, ruffians,
gypsies, and such.

In the words of Douglas Adams "mostly harmless", though we do have our share
of the latter groups you mention.

"Clot" wrote in message
Bob, I respectfully disagree. The government employees I
have
encountered in almost all contact with the government at
any level
are folk too dumb or too lazy to make a living in any
other field.
This is even worse when it comes to elected office.

From the other side of The Pond, but that's my experience
too, over here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default England, some friendly comments

"Clot" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've not visited England. I'd sure like to, some day. I've
heard the countryside is more breath taking beautiful than
much any where else in the world.

For a small country, we certainly have a wide variety of
scenary though we
don't do deserts, glaciers or canyons!

CY: The pictures I've seen, very elegant. James Herriot's
books, and the TV series, I really enjoyed. One email friend
of mine sent me a couple photos of the country side near
Thirsk (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) where Herriot lived.
Of course, that's a pen name for the man.

And, the people are kind and friendly. Except for the
Mussies, drug addicted TWOK'ers, the Yobs, ruffians,
gypsies, and such.

In the words of Douglas Adams "mostly harmless", though we
do have our share
of the latter groups you mention.

CY: I read Hitchhikers's Guide when I was in college. It
was a bit of cult classic at that time, and I was curious
what I'd missed. It's quite a book. Well, I'd best get some
more salted peanuts, and try to find my towel. The towel is
not optional. Do I see yellow?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

If the wires are cut away from the breaker box, and there is obviously no
continuation of that wire to the breaker box, it shouldn't be too hard to
derive. Certainly any inspector will figure it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It also gives to direct access to the expertise to get good answer to your
questions, just like you did in this case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
Andy comments:

Save all the aluminum wire you pull out. If you strip off the
romex
covering and use the individual wires, they make excellent tie wraps
for shubbery and gardening purposes. Black, white, or metal ,
depending
on what matches the color scheme of your garden.

I use 6 inch lengths to tie up my tomato plants. Best use of
aluminum
wiring I have seen to date.

That aluminum wire is dangerous. If not used properly, fires can result. I use
only copper for this purpose. :-) It's what I have laying around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

'It must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 10:26*am, "Clot" wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

'It must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'- Hide quoted text -

What do you British folks think about Obama returning the bust of
Winston Churchill to the UK that was in the oval office?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ouch! That's the most awful poetry I've ever heard!

"Ode to a lump of green putty I found in my navel".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus