Posted to alt.home.repair
Molly Brown Molly Brown is offline

Default rewiring permit snag - abandoned wires

On Apr 7, 12:08*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Apr 7, 11:13*am, Limp Arbor wrote:

Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper.

The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove
the Al wire. *He was going to check on it so it is not that he is
trying to gove me a hard time.

Anyone know if the NEC addresses abandoned wires behind finished
drywall?

My plan was to pull all that I could out and where staples prevented
it cut the wires so they could not be reached.

Good news! *The inspector just called me back and said when I'm
removing the old Al wire just cut it off where accessible.

As long as none of the ends are exposed where it could be used again
I'm good to go.

How will you or for that matter the inspector would know if there
isn’t some errant voltage running through those flush cut conductors
that have been connected by some idiot from behind some wall someplace
just waiting for someone to flip a switch someplace to energize them
and then have something that has fallen on the bare conductors to
start a fire?