Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Dishwasher

Our 22 year old dishwasher is finally worn out, so we're going to replace it.
When I removed it, I found several things that I didn't like. The copper tubing
for the water inlet is kinked. That makes me nervous. The power is coming
through a hole in the floor that is big enough for a mouse to get through.
That's an easy fix.

The dishwasher was installed incorrectly. The idiots who installed it put wood
shims under each roller and under the front feet. According to the manual, the
wheels should have been set on 4 or 5 for the cabinet height. They were set on
2. The front feet had plenty of room to unscrew.

When I made my daily trip to Lowes, the salesman suggested that I get one of the
steel clad dishwasher hoses to replace the copper tubing all together. (My first
thoughts were to replace the copper with Pex, but it's not worth the trouble,
since I don't have the experience or the tools to use it.) Any thoughts to the
contrary?

My wife wants a plain and simple under-the-counter stainless dish washer. Is one
brand particularly better than another? We're not interested in ones like they
put in million dollar houses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/16/10 10:59 pm, mcp6453 wrote:

When I made my daily trip to Lowes, the salesman suggested that I get one of the
steel clad dishwasher hoses to replace the copper tubing all together. (My first
thoughts were to replace the copper with Pex, but it's not worth the trouble,
since I don't have the experience or the tools to use it.) Any thoughts to the
contrary?

I used a Watts "FloodSafe" hose. If the water flows excessively fast (as
it would if there were a leak), a valve at the supply end closes and
shuts off the flow.

My wife wants a plain and simple under-the-counter stainless dish washer. Is one
brand particularly better than another? We're not interested in ones like they
put in million dollar houses.

We have been satisfied with our Whirlpool-built Kenmore. We got an
intermediate-level model then bought as discounted spare parts
(pcappliancerepair.com) the more useful items that would have been
included (along with items that we considered not worth the money) in
the much-more-expensive top-of-the-line model.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

Consumer Reports recommends:
Kenmore 1374[2 $720
Bosch SHE33M0[2]UC $600
Whirlpool Gold GU2300XTV[Q] $550
Kenmore 1389[2] $500
Whirlpool DU1055XTV[Q] $400

The first two have something called a stainless steel look option.
The last three don't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
[...]

I just replaced my dishwasher and went through your situation. My research
showed that there were no clear winners as the "best" dishwasher, at least
as far as the end users were concerned. It seemed an equal number of people
liked as hated most machines.
Most new machines are built totally different from the older ones. They call
it "tall tub", which would indicate more room inside, however our
measurements show a shallower tub from front to back, and clearly less room
inside. On older machines there was room under the machine to work the
plumbing and electrical. The newer machines have essentially a tunnel that
the wiring and plumbing pass through, necessitating the electrical cable to
be in one specific spot, in line with the junction box, and pretty much
requiring the water line to be flexible hose.
We replaced a ten year old Maytag $350 plain vanilla machine that worked
poor to fair with a $1250 Bosch that works fair

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message

When I made my daily trip to Lowes, the salesman suggested that I get one
of the
steel clad dishwasher hoses to replace the copper tubing all together. (My
first
thoughts were to replace the copper with Pex, but it's not worth the
trouble,
since I don't have the experience or the tools to use it.) Any thoughts to
the
contrary?

My wife wants a plain and simple under-the-counter stainless dish washer.
Is one
brand particularly better than another? We're not interested in ones like
they
put in million dollar houses.

The SS clad fex hose are fine, easy to use and seem to last. The one on our
DW is about 15 years old.

If I were replacing the DW after all these years I would use a new hose and
not reuse the old one.

With appliances, I find the best bang for my buck at about the mid-point of
any product line. I am completely out of touch with prices right now. When
we bought our current unit Whirlpool ranged from a low of about 200 to a
high of about 750. We bought the multi-cycle model for about 450 then and
it has served us very well. I suspect the mid-point of any brand would be
good.

I prefer the Whirlpool brand because of the silverware basket in the door as
we do not run ours after every meal.

I will say that the new Bosch a family member bought is about the quietest
machine I have ever heard running.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"mcp6453" wrote in message

[...]

I agree, the Bosch I have is the quietest machine I've come across. Mine has
a small red light that beams onto the floor, so you know it's running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:

Our 22 year old dishwasher is finally worn out, so we're going to
replace it.

When I made my daily trip to Lowes, the salesman suggested that I
get one of the steel clad dishwasher hoses to replace the copper
tubing all together.

We have a Kenmore portable dishwasher that we bought in 1996. Just a
few days ago I drilled two 1" holes in the kitchen floor under where the
washer normally sits when it's not in use.

I bought one of those steel-braided hoses and with a little extra
plumbing in the basement I connected the washer up to the hot-water
supply and a drain line.

The steel hose I bought was technically for a clothes washer. It has 1"
garden-hose ends on it. I did this because the dish washer has that
same exact connector type on it inside the machine, and I didn't want to
mess with buying $20 worth of brass connector parts that I would have
been needed if I bought the "dish-washer" steel hose.

The type of steel hose I bought is labelled as a "flood-proof" type. It
has some sort of regulating valve built into it that I guess can sense a
large water flow (which might be caused if the plastic water inlet body
in the washer breaks) and so it shuts down the water flow automatically.

The washer still runs great, and looks practically brand new inside - no
stains, rust, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

I just replaced my dishwasher and went through your situation. My
research showed that there were no clear winners as the "best"
dishwasher, at least as far as the end users were concerned. It
seemed an equal number of people liked as hated most machines.
Most new machines are built totally different from the older ones.
They call it "tall tub", which would indicate more room inside,
however our measurements show a shallower tub from front to back, and
clearly less room inside.

It has been a few years since we bought a new one but my findings were
similar to yours. Most every DW will get the dishes clean. What you are
buying for more money is features and style.

The Whirlpool family is supposed to be a tad more reliable. The Bosch is
well liked for noise level, but my local dealer says it is more prone to
needing service calls. He still sells them, but no longer has them on the
floor. Maytag touted three racks instead of two. I found the bottom rack
too low and useless so we did not buy that brand.

My advice is to set a budget and buy the one your wife likes the best for
whatever her reason is. We got a Kitchen Aid that she things is pretty.
Works well.

You may get a better deal and better value from the local dealer as opposed
to the big box store, More reliable delivery, good price, good install.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
[...]

Everytime I have to get in to replace or fix something I find something the
privious owner did that makes me wonder WTF?

I recently replaced our acient Kitchen Aid with a GE that doesn't get the
dishes clean and the wheels on the dish holders are already falling off.

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They make
restaurant dishwashers) but they still make decent dishwashers. If those are
too expensive I'd look at what the big box stores have but check the
hardware and make sue it looks sturdy. Had I looked at the cheapo casters GE
uses I'd of passed on the model I bought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They make
restaurant dishwashers) but they still make decent dishwashers.

Yes, they are now a part of Whirlpool

If
those are too expensive I'd look at what the big box stores have

Why? Do you think they have better product or prices? Most small dealers
now belong to buying co-ops and can sell at the same prices. They often
offer much better service too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They make
restaurant dishwashers) but they still make decent dishwashers.

Yes, they are now a part of Whirlpool

If
those are too expensive I'd look at what the big box stores have

Why? Do you think they have better product or prices? Most small dealers
now belong to buying co-ops and can sell at the same prices. They often
offer much better service too.

Yeah.. I just think they usually have better prices but that could be poopee
talk

Sorry about the spelling. Don't know what got into me. Actually that's how
bad I spell w/o the checker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They make
restaurant dishwashers) but they still make decent dishwashers.

Yes, they are now a part of Whirlpool

If
those are too expensive I'd look at what the big box stores have

Why? Do you think they have better product or prices? Most small
dealers now belong to buying co-ops and can sell at the same prices.
They often offer much better service too.

Yeah.. I just think they usually have better prices but that could be
poopee talk

Sorry about the spelling. Don't know what got into me. Actually that's how
bad I spell w/o the checker.

I went to Lowe's to see their models and prices. They probably had over 20
models on display. Truth is, most looked pretty much the same, mechanically.
The Bosch that I ended up buying, I bought online for a total of $250 less
than Lowe's was selling it for

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They make
restaurant dishwashers) but they still make decent dishwashers.

Yes, they are now a part of Whirlpool

If
those are too expensive I'd look at what the big box stores have

Why? Do you think they have better product or prices? Most small
dealers now belong to buying co-ops and can sell at the same prices.
They often offer much better service too.

Yeah.. I just think they usually have better prices but that could be
poopee talk

Sorry about the spelling. Don't know what got into me. Actually that's
how bad I spell w/o the checker.

I went to Lowe's to see their models and prices. They probably had over 20
models on display. Truth is, most looked pretty much the same,
mechanically. The Bosch that I ended up buying, I bought online for a
total of $250 less than Lowe's was selling it for

I recently shopped for a pool heater and the dealers here can't touch the
online prices. I found one local though. A $1300 heater used (for a few
days) for $500. Lady bought the wrong kind for her pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They make
[...]

About five or six years ago, I was shopping for a pool heater. I was
checking stores and online. The online prices were so much less than the
local stores, plus with no tax, the decision was a no brainer. They did want
an extra $50 if I needed a lift-gate truck. I told them I have a loader,
just let me know when it's coming. Ultimately they delivered it,
unannounced, with a lift-gate truck, no additional charge, and it came from
a pool supply company about 25 miles away, despite the online store being
from another state.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They make
[...]

One place wanted $125 another $250 for shipping. Tale gate service. No tax.
The locals can't compete even with the shipping when you throw in the 8.25
tax.

this is what i got used w/30 day warranty no shipping....: It needs a fork
lift. We'll have to use a dolly.

http://www.raypak.com/jumpPool.cfm?t...ak_Digital.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They make
[...]

Wow, that's nice. That's just what I need... That and about $30K worth of
pool renovation. I'm getting a Bobcat skid steer, a pile of sand, and a jack
hammer instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They
make
[...]

That thing will heat my pool in no time. You should fix your pool if you
can. You'll get the money back if you sell.

Mines about 28 years old, 10,000 gal. We have a small backyard. I fixed some
of the mosaic and the spa needs new plaster. Of course my wife says it
needs to be re-plaster and retiled.

There's a guy (website) that did it himself with his family. Tough job that
needs skill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They make
[...]

You do know the law says you are supposed to pay the 'use tax' on
purchases like that, right? (aka substitute sales tax). I'd be careful
about admitting you are a scofflaw about it online, lest the state tax
people (or your neighbors) use that as an excuse to make your life
miserable.

Just sayin'

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They
make
[...]

I actually read that guy's blog. He knows a lot less than he thinks he
knows, believe me. I've kicked it around and decided to fill it in, but in
the process, I am preparing the site for a future install of a fiberglass
pool, which will probably be around the 10,000 gallon size. The current
cement pool is 32K gallons, too big, too old, too much maintenance

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They
make
[...]

OMG, we didn't say we didn't pay the tax, only that they didn't charge tax

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/16/10 11:09 pm, I wrote:

snip

My wife wants a plain and simple under-the-counter stainless dish
washer. Is one
brand particularly better than another? We're not interested in ones
like they
put in million dollar houses.

We have been satisfied with our Whirlpool-built Kenmore. We got an
intermediate-level model then bought as discounted spare parts
(pcappliancerepair.com) the more useful items that would have been
included (along with items that we considered not worth the money) in
the much-more-expensive top-of-the-line model.

I forgot to mention that we have deliberately avoided the stainless
steel look -- the "new Avocado." But we did insist on one with a
stainless steel interior.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They
make
[...]

Around here a house with a pool generally sels for LESS than one
without as the demand for pools is low.

If you are REAL lucky, you might get 50 cents on the dollar for the
pool when you sell. (but then we are not far from the great lakes in
any direction, and many smaller lakes as well - and we have some
pretty good municiple pool facilities )

It depends on the market but you're right. a pool can draw the price down.
But it takes strategy. Sell your house June, July and August in Central TX.
Here you add 30 or 40k if you have a pool.

I thought owning a pool was expensive but for what you get out of them. Kids
love pool parties. So do adults. Public Pools? Nah....I swim in hotel pools
when we travel but I went to our public pool and it was right out of
Southpark...the water was too warm. kids everywhere. I didn't see one go to
the bathroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

From what I understand Kitchen Aid is not owned by Hobart (They
make
[...]

We have to pay tax on the $500 one. But the installation is not taxed here
in Texas.

We can still make internet purchases here w/o taxes. This will be taxed
through my property and the sales tax. The county sure seems to think this
place is a hot seller. Jacked it up this year for more than what I paid for
it. a holes but our market is good. Texas good, California.bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:59:43 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

Do it the best way you won't get any leaks. I have all copper on the
D/W line and the icemaker line--no leaks so far after 19 years, why
change? A battery-operated water detector is cheap insurance too.

My wife wants a plain and simple under-the-counter stainless dish washer. Is one
brand particularly better than another? We're not interested in ones like they
put in million dollar houses.

If you can live with a noisy dishwasher get the lowest priced one that
suites your finish/color. SS finishes may cost more and a SS interior
cleans dishes no better than a PVC tub. You can wrap the unit with
polyspun filler material to help reduce the noise. Reliable brands:
Bosch, Whirlpool, Kenmore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:08:53 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...

"mcp6453" wrote in message

[...]

My Bosch has a LED display showing a status icon and time remaining,
but I bought that model due to the low 47 dB rating. A DW rated at
42 dB would be sweet, but carries a high cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

My Bosch has a LED display showing a status icon and time remaining,
but I bought that model due to the low 47 dB rating. A DW rated at
42 dB would be sweet, but carries a high cost.

The "cheap" Kitchen Aid is 54 dBA while the more expensive is 41dBA. Price
difference is about $500 I'm not sure what the rating is on our 4 year old
model, but for us, it is quiet, but not a big deal. Most of the time I turn
it on either late at night or early in the morning and no one is near the
machine when it runs.

Dishwasher Help janbennett UK diy 5 April 18th 08 12:41 PM
G.E. Dishwasher Recall - What to do with Old Dishwasher Greg Wilkerson Home Repair 10 July 3rd 07 02:46 AM
dishwasher [email protected] Home Repair 1 October 25th 06 04:10 PM
dishwasher SeaKan Home Repair 6 November 20th 05 05:35 AM
Dishwasher Bob Home Repair 4 October 20th 05 10:04 AM