Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outlets went out but no breaker is tripped

I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in
one room.

None of the breakers are tripped.

All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a
time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and
switch.

Any feedback appreciated.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

WhiteTea wrote:
I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in
one room.

None of the breakers are tripped.

All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a
time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and
switch.

If they're not working and the breaker isn't tripped, how will that
isolate anything? There will be no change. You can isolate all other
circuits and perhaps guess which one feeds the one from that, but that's
all...

The symptom is one of a loose connection from the last feed point that
is live on the circuit feeding the faulty boxes. It may be at the first
box that is not working or the last one that is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WhiteTea" wrote in message
I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in
one room.

None of the breakers are tripped.

All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a
time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and
switch.

Any feedback appreciated.

Andy

I agree with that attempt. Sometimes, not often, a breaker will trip and
fail to show it fully.

Checking every GFIC in the house is also a good thing to do because this
portion of the circuit might be after a GFIC that has tripped.

If neither of those solve the problem then you have to trace the circuit
looking for a loose connection.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 8:47*am, Hipupchuck wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in
one room.

None of the breakers are tripped.

All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a
time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and
switch.

Any feedback appreciated.

Andy

Look behind a dresser for a GFCI outlet with a red light and tripped
button, even in another room or closet.

Looking for a GFCI is a good idea, but not all GFCI's have red lights.

This is the latest stupid idea from the stupid bitch regulatory organization.

Adding a GFCI is a code compliant method for allowing the installation
of 3-prong outlets downstream of the GFCI even if there is no ground.
This allowed use makes the regulatory organization a friendly
organization.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 8:16*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in
one room.

None of the breakers are tripped.

All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a
time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and
switch.

Any feedback appreciated.

Andy

I agree with that attempt. *Sometimes, not often, a breaker will trip and
fail to show it fully.

Checking every GFIC in the house is also a good thing to do because this
portion of the circuit might be after a GFIC that has tripped.

If neither of those solve the problem then you have to trace the circuit
looking for a loose connection.

Colbyt

Thanks.

I flipped all the breakers and the circuits are still dead.
I will check the GFCIs.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 8:16*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in
one room.

None of the breakers are tripped.

All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a
time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and
switch.

Any feedback appreciated.

Andy

I agree with that attempt. *Sometimes, not often, a breaker will trip and
fail to show it fully.

Checking every GFIC in the house is also a good thing to do because this
portion of the circuit might be after a GFIC that has tripped.

If neither of those solve the problem then you have to trace the circuit
looking for a loose connection.

Colbyt

I couldn't find any tripped GFCIs.

I recall having problems with a GFCI when I had a mobile home.
It kept tripping for no reason.

This is going to be fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 7:47*am, Hipupchuck wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in
one room.

None of the breakers are tripped.

All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a
time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and
switch.

Any feedback appreciated.

Andy

Look behind a dresser for a GFCI outlet with a red light and tripped
button, even in another room or closet. This is the latest stupid idea
from the stupid bitch regulatory organization.

I think one problem is that there are too many GFCI where they are not
necessary.

I checked one in one bathroom and this is what I found.
(After doing a test and reset.)

1. Voltage is 116V going into the GFCI.
2. No voltage when checking the two outlets.

What is the purpose of the light on the GFCI.

It obviously does not show that the GFCI is working.

Maybe it's a nightlight. :-)

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

Are you sure the outlet is dead? Maybe what is plugged into the outlet
is sick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 9:41*am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

[...]

I used a voltmeter.

I just found that 2 GFCIs had tripped, resetting got all the outlets
going.

I would like to know why they tripped.

As far as I can tell, the load at the time it tripped was 5.8 amps for
a frig and a small amount for a fish tank pump and light.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 7, 10:21*am, WhiteTea wrote:

the load at the time it tripped was 5.8 amps for
a frig

Refrigerators on a GFI are not a good idea. Building codes commonly
require a dedicated circuit for such. YMMV

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 10:23*am, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:21:12 -0700 (PDT), WhiteTea

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41*am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

[...]

The refrigerator should NOT be on a circuit with a GFCI.

Your fishtank is a likely cause of the GFCI tripping.

It's my daughter's house.

She is awaiting a fridge that will fit in the space between some
cabinets because the current one
is too wide.

She had it plugged into an outlet in the garage.

I have now plugged the extension cord into the outlet made for the
fridge.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41*am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

[...]

See previous post.

I plugged the fish tank pump back into the same circuit.
Maybe with the fridge on a separate line, the pump won't trip.

If it was my house, I would have one dedicated wire and breaker just
for the garage outlets.

We'll see what happens.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WhiteTea" wrote in message

What is the purpose of the light on the GFCI.

It obviously does not show that the GFCI is working.

All the ones I have seen with an led only lite when it is tripped or blown.

Using a 1500w hairdyer on a 15 amp GFIC can kill them over a period of time.
Also sometimes they just die, always in the tripped position has been my
experience.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 1:46*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

What is the purpose of the light on the GFCI.

It obviously does not show that the GFCI is working.

All the ones I have seen with an led only lite when it is tripped or blown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 18:32:24 -0400, Hipupchuck

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41 am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message
[...]

Generally speaking, you don't want anything with a motor on a GFCI. I
don't think the fishtank pump motor is big enough to matter, though.
The reason I suspect the fishtank for tripping the GFCI is the
abundance of water and humidity involved. If the light fixture gets
even slightly damp, it could trip the GFCI.

What about an electric razor motor? Electric tooth brush motor? Clippers
motor?

I only want my GFCI in the main panel so I can find it. All the others
are bypassed.

Try reading what I wrote. Your question is already answered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

Huh? The reason not to put a fridge on a gfci is that if it trips all
the food can spoil.

Huh? The reason not to put a frige on a gfci is that electric motors are
quite likely to trip them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 22:29:59 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 12:29:25 -0400, wrote:

Generally speaking, you don't want anything with a motor on a GFCI. I

Huh? The reason not to put a fridge on a gfci is that if it trips all
the food can spoil.

Does your fridge have a motor by any chance?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41*am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

[...]

even slightly damp, it could trip the GFCI.- Hide quoted text -

FWIW, I ran 2 fishtanks on separate GFCI's for years without a single
trip.

The tanks were in the kid's rooms. I assumed that if code calls for
GFCI's near any water (sink, shower, garage) then a light fixture in a
flimsy plastic housing hovering over 20 gallons of water would
certainly warrant protection, especially when kids are involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:46*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

What is the purpose of the light on the GFCI.

It obviously does not show that the GFCI is working.

All the ones I have seen with an led only lite when it is tripped or blown.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:08:45 -0400, wrote:

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41*am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

[...]

Obviously, GFCI's, like fuses, shuld never trip unless there is a
reason. Regardless of your very small sample group, fishtanks are
frequently a cause of GFCI's tripping, for obvious reasons. Because of
that potential, they should always be on a GFCI protected circuit.

Hmmm. Won't that likely kill tropical fish if the breaker trips and
isn't noticed soon? Especially if you are saying that they trip
frequently.

My Oscar broke his heater, which was encased in a big glass test tube,
and, I believe, died of the cold. I'd had him for a couple years.

Isn't there a better way to protect whatever is being protected, like
an isolation transformer big enough to power the pump and the heater
and the light but no bigger? Or some other method?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.aquaria.tropical.fish.hobbist,rec.aquaria.marine.misc,uk.rec.aquaria.misc

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41*am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

[...]

and the light but no bigger? *Or some other method?- Hide quoted text -

Yep a real hobbyist wouod have their own nuke power plant in their
yard. So evidently your not really into the hobby. Flush the ****ing
fish and find something else to whine about asshole.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.support.boy-lovers,alt.callahans,alt.masturbation.male,soc.men

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41*am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

[...]

So how many other groups are you going to post this inane crap to
loser? Let me help you. I forwarded it to some "special" groups just
for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.aquaria.tropical.fish.hobbist,rec.aquaria.marine.misc,uk.rec.aquaria.misc

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41*am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

[...]

P;ug it in yur asshole dude..or if yuo know she can
generate 2000 volts with that sloppy dripping pussy of hers when she
plugs that man mad vasgia into it..............spark fly. Tynk7@aol
the chick with a dick, man made at that from MIchael Jacksons missing
nose
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

Generally speaking, you don't want anything with a motor on a GFCI. I
don't think the fishtank pump motor is big enough to matter, though.
The reason I suspect the fishtank for tripping the GFCI is the
abundance of water and humidity involved. If the light fixture gets
even slightly damp, it could trip the GFCI.

If that's true, then NO WONDER mine flipped when I plugged my leaf-blower
into it!

But really -- I thought it was a LOT safer to use gfci's.

Like in a basement shop with concrete floor on high-humidity
day. Electric drill -- you'd plug that into a gfci, wouldn't
you?

Or in a kitchen, where maybe EVERY outlet is either individually
gfci'd (I gather from reading this group that that's overkill) or
(better) is "downwind" of one.

Then what about, you know, a blender, cuisineart, etc. Or even
a shopvac for messy times.

---

Please, just what is it about a motor that's bad for a gfci?

(Not that I have any real idea or feeling for how one works.)

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Generally speaking, you don't want anything with a motor on a GFCI. I
don't think the fishtank pump motor is big enough to matter, though.
The reason I suspect the fishtank for tripping the GFCI is the
abundance of water and humidity involved. If the light fixture gets
even slightly damp, it could trip the GFCI.

Motorize items that should never be plugged into a GFCI:
Sump Pump
Well/Cistern Pump
Refrigerator/Freezer
Garage Door Opener
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:44:41 -0400, Congoleum Breckenridge
wrote:

David Combs wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Generally speaking, you don't want anything with a motor on a GFCI. I
don't think the fishtank pump motor is big enough to matter, though.
The reason I suspect the fishtank for tripping the GFCI is the
abundance of water and humidity involved. If the light fixture gets
even slightly damp, it could trip the GFCI.

Motorize items that should never be plugged into a GFCI:
Sump Pump
Well/Cistern Pump
Refrigerator/Freezer
Garage Door Opener

Most of which are not really because they're more likely to trip a
GFCI (either due to a fault in the device or the GFCI), but because
the consequence of the power being cut to them is greater than the
electrical risk the GFCI is protecting against, which isn't true of
other devices, motors or not.

I wouldn't plug my life support equipment into a GFCI either, but I
certainly am happy to know my power washer, hair dryer, trouble light,
etc are on one.

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen that, with the cheaper bag stab outlets.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus