Posted to alt.home.repair
Josh[_5_] Josh[_5_] is offline

Default Outlets went out but no breaker is tripped

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:44:41 -0400, Congoleum Breckenridge
wrote:

David Combs wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Generally speaking, you don't want anything with a motor on a GFCI. I
don't think the fishtank pump motor is big enough to matter, though.
The reason I suspect the fishtank for tripping the GFCI is the
abundance of water and humidity involved. If the light fixture gets
even slightly damp, it could trip the GFCI.

Motorize items that should never be plugged into a GFCI:
Sump Pump
Well/Cistern Pump
Refrigerator/Freezer
Garage Door Opener

Most of which are not really because they're more likely to trip a
GFCI (either due to a fault in the device or the GFCI), but because
the consequence of the power being cut to them is greater than the
electrical risk the GFCI is protecting against, which isn't true of
other devices, motors or not.

I wouldn't plug my life support equipment into a GFCI either, but I
certainly am happy to know my power washer, hair dryer, trouble light,
etc are on one.

Josh