Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dead circuit with no tripped breaker or fuse

I lost power to a circuit when a family member turned on the TV. I
was vacuuming in the other end of the house, but on a different
circuit (and subsequently it did not affect my vacuuming). Family
member said the TV shut off by itself and won't turn back on. All
outlets in the circuit are dead.

I flipped all the breakers and checked all the fuses to no avail.
Assuming my breaker is OK (perhaps a bad assumption), I'm going to
start looking for an open in one of the outlets.

The odd thing that is bugging me is coincidentally I was working on a
different circuit the night before replacing some light fixtures/
switches. I'm figuring this is a coincidence, but I'm suspicious. I
replaced a couple light fixtures, two switches and removed a 3-way
circuit and replaced with a 2-way switch. Everything went smoothly
and functioned (and continues to function normally). While I was
doing this, the circuit that "failed" this morning was working (i.e.
TV and lights were on -- I was working at night, wife was watching
TV).

I don't see how anything I could have done on one circuit would affect
the other. I even watched TV when I was done. No problems. But it
is odd timing.

Am I on the right track?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 8:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

You might have a gfi outlet that tripped which feeds the other outlets
downstream. Check to be sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 19, 7:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

Probably.

My vote is for a bad outlet, likely back stabbers that came loose,
assuming there is no GFI upstream.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 5:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

May be an upstream GFCI as Mikepier suggests. Due to the timing of
your other work I would take a look there as well. Is it possible
that one of the replaced switches had a common hot feed that is now
switched?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 10:54 pm, Eric9822 wrote:
On Jul 19, 5:39 pm, wrote:

[...]

switched?- Hide quoted text -

See if there is juice to the first outlet in the run.
Any time you wiggle around in the wiring backstabbed stuff can come
loose.
That's why the electricians like to use the screws, fewer callbacks.