Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.aquaria.tropical.fish.hobbist,rec.aquaria.marine.misc,uk.rec.aquaria.misc
Tynk Tynk is offline

Default Outlets went out but no breaker is tripped

On Jul 9, 11:03*pm, mm wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:08:45 -0400, wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 06:37:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jul 7, 12:29*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:02:50 -0700 (PDT), WhiteTea

wrote:
On Jul 7, 10:23*am, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:21:12 -0700 (PDT), WhiteTea

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41*am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in
one room.
None of the breakers are tripped.
All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a
time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and
switch.
Any feedback appreciated.
Andy
I agree with that attempt. *Sometimes, not often, a breaker will trip and
fail to show it fully.

Checking every GFIC in the house is also a good thing to do because this
portion of the circuit might be after a GFIC that has tripped.

If neither of those solve the problem then you have to trace the circuit
looking for a loose connection.

Colbyt

I couldn't find any tripped GFCIs.

I recall having problems with a GFCI when I had a mobile home..
It kept tripping for no reason.

This is going to be fun.

Are you sure the outlet is dead? *Maybe what is plugged into the outlet
is sick.

I used a voltmeter.

I just found that 2 GFCIs had tripped, resetting got all the outlets
going.

I would like to know why they tripped.

As far as I can tell, the load at the time it tripped was 5.8 amps for
a frig and a small amount for a fish tank pump and light.

Andy

The refrigerator should NOT be on a circuit with a GFCI.

Your fishtank is a likely cause of the GFCI tripping.

See previous post.

I plugged the fish tank pump back into the same circuit.
Maybe with the fridge on a separate line, the pump won't trip.

If it was my house, I would have one dedicated wire and breaker just
for the garage outlets.

We'll see what happens.

Andy

Generally speaking, you don't want anything with a motor on a GFCI. I
don't think the fishtank pump motor is big enough to matter, though.
The reason I suspect the fishtank for tripping the GFCI is the
abundance of water and humidity involved. If the light fixture gets
even slightly damp, it could trip the GFCI.- Hide quoted text -

FWIW, I ran 2 fishtanks on separate GFCI's for years without a single
trip.

The tanks were in the kid's rooms. I assumed that if code calls for
GFCI's near any water (sink, shower, garage) then a light fixture in a
flimsy plastic housing hovering over 20 gallons of water would
certainly warrant protection, especially when kids are involved.

Obviously, GFCI's, like fuses, shuld never trip unless there is a
reason. Regardless of your very small sample group, fishtanks are
frequently a cause of GFCI's tripping, for obvious reasons. Because of
that potential, they should always be on a GFCI protected circuit.

Hmmm. Won't that likely kill tropical fish if the breaker trips and
isn't noticed soon? *Especially if you are saying that they trip
frequently.

My Oscar broke his heater, which was encased in a big glass test tube,
and, I believe, died of the cold. *I'd had him for a couple years.

Isn't there a better way to protect whatever is being protected, like
an isolation transformer big enough to power the pump and the heater
and the light but no bigger? *Or some other method?- Hide quoted text -

Yep a real hobbyist wouod have their own nuke power plant in their
yard. So evidently your not really into the hobby. Flush the ****ing
fish and find something else to whine about asshole.