Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs David Combs is offline

Default Outlets went out but no breaker is tripped

In article ,
wrote:

Generally speaking, you don't want anything with a motor on a GFCI. I
don't think the fishtank pump motor is big enough to matter, though.
The reason I suspect the fishtank for tripping the GFCI is the
abundance of water and humidity involved. If the light fixture gets
even slightly damp, it could trip the GFCI.

If that's true, then NO WONDER mine flipped when I plugged my leaf-blower
into it!

But really -- I thought it was a LOT safer to use gfci's.

Like in a basement shop with concrete floor on high-humidity
day. Electric drill -- you'd plug that into a gfci, wouldn't
you?

Or in a kitchen, where maybe EVERY outlet is either individually
gfci'd (I gather from reading this group that that's overkill) or
(better) is "downwind" of one.

Then what about, you know, a blender, cuisineart, etc. Or even
a shopvac for messy times.

---

Please, just what is it about a motor that's bad for a gfci?

(Not that I have any real idea or feeling for how one works.)

Thanks!

David