Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Outlets went out but no breaker is tripped

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 18:32:24 -0400, Hipupchuck

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:02:50 -0700 (PDT), WhiteTea
wrote:

On Jul 7, 10:23 am, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:21:12 -0700 (PDT), WhiteTea

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41 am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message
I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in
one room.
None of the breakers are tripped.
All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a
time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and
switch.
Any feedback appreciated.
Andy
I agree with that attempt. Sometimes, not often, a breaker will trip and
fail to show it fully.
Checking every GFIC in the house is also a good thing to do because this
portion of the circuit might be after a GFIC that has tripped.
If neither of those solve the problem then you have to trace the circuit
looking for a loose connection.
Colbyt
I couldn't find any tripped GFCIs.
I recall having problems with a GFCI when I had a mobile home.
It kept tripping for no reason.
This is going to be fun.
Are you sure the outlet is dead? Maybe what is plugged into the outlet
is sick.
I used a voltmeter.
I just found that 2 GFCIs had tripped, resetting got all the outlets
going.
I would like to know why they tripped.
As far as I can tell, the load at the time it tripped was 5.8 amps for
a frig and a small amount for a fish tank pump and light.
Andy
The refrigerator should NOT be on a circuit with a GFCI.

Your fishtank is a likely cause of the GFCI tripping.
See previous post.

I plugged the fish tank pump back into the same circuit.
Maybe with the fridge on a separate line, the pump won't trip.

If it was my house, I would have one dedicated wire and breaker just
for the garage outlets.

We'll see what happens.

Andy

Generally speaking, you don't want anything with a motor on a GFCI. I
don't think the fishtank pump motor is big enough to matter, though.
The reason I suspect the fishtank for tripping the GFCI is the
abundance of water and humidity involved. If the light fixture gets
even slightly damp, it could trip the GFCI.

What about an electric razor motor? Electric tooth brush motor? Clippers
motor?

I only want my GFCI in the main panel so I can find it. All the others
are bypassed.

Try reading what I wrote. Your question is already answered.