Posted to alt.home.repair
WhiteTea WhiteTea is offline

Default Outlets went out but no breaker is tripped

On Jul 7, 10:23*am, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:21:12 -0700 (PDT), WhiteTea

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:41*am, LouB wrote:
WhiteTea wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:16 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"WhiteTea" wrote in message

I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in
one room.
None of the breakers are tripped.
All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a
time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and
switch.
Any feedback appreciated.
Andy
I agree with that attempt. *Sometimes, not often, a breaker will trip and
fail to show it fully.

Checking every GFIC in the house is also a good thing to do because this
portion of the circuit might be after a GFIC that has tripped.

If neither of those solve the problem then you have to trace the circuit
looking for a loose connection.

Colbyt

I couldn't find any tripped GFCIs.

I recall having problems with a GFCI when I had a mobile home.
It kept tripping for no reason.

This is going to be fun.

Are you sure the outlet is dead? *Maybe what is plugged into the outlet
is sick.

I used a voltmeter.

I just found that 2 GFCIs had tripped, resetting got all the outlets
going.

I would like to know why they tripped.

As far as I can tell, the load at the time it tripped was 5.8 amps for
a frig and a small amount for a fish tank pump and light.

Andy

The refrigerator should NOT be on a circuit with a GFCI.

Your fishtank is a likely cause of the GFCI tripping.

See previous post.

I plugged the fish tank pump back into the same circuit.
Maybe with the fridge on a separate line, the pump won't trip.

If it was my house, I would have one dedicated wire and breaker just
for the garage outlets.

We'll see what happens.

Andy