Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Bob F wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:11:24 -0400, "
wrote:

Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up
the the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and
drenching the footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did
it a few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from
front to back, instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over
nothing? Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely"
asking him to move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through
the fence and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it
magically reappears again back towards my yard?

I would not move it. Degree of concern should be where the water
drains from, what alternatives there are, who was "there" first and
general slope of the properties. MUST he drain there to keep water
away from the foundation of his house? Got basements? Distance
from house to house? Drainage pipe to shed? Any potential real
harm to your shed? "Drenching the footings" sounds like a non-issue
unless there is standing water or really soggy soil around the shed.

It is illegal for a property owner to direct run-off onto another
person's property. In current developments here the location of
downspout discharges in relation to property lines is subject to
planning department approval (building permits0

The OP doesn't give enough info to show whether this is really
altering what existed before he put the pipe next to the fence. The
solution might be as simple as placing some rock to break and
disperse the flow of the water.

It seems pretty clear to me.

"My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up
the the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and
drenching the footings of my shed."

The water didn't used to go there. Now it does.

Soooooooooooo........did the neighbor attach one foot of pipe to extend
drainage one foot further from the foundation of his own house or did he
run 20' of pipe from his downspout all the way to the fence line?
Details matter sometimes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 12:12*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
I have the nicest neighbors anyone could ever want. *My property
is higher than his and my gutters drain onto his property. *It
was that way when I moved in 16 years ago. *He ignored it because
he was working on other things. *He asked me if he could help me
put in a French Drain to move the runoff further away.

The plastic piping comes in whatever length you want it and it's
inexpensive.

Dick

Yeah, but this wasn't that way for 16 years. It was just created by
the neighbor redirecting a point source of water directed right at
this guy's legally placed shed near the property boundary. I'd
certainly go talk to him, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna kiss his
ass, say thank you Sir and offer to help pay for and offer labor for a
remedy. If he won't cooperate, and change what he just implemented,
then I'd go to code enforcement.

I see this situation as totally different than say a row house
situation, where rain water may have gone one way or another for
decades, but now a neighbor wants to implement a better solution. In
that case, I would cooperate, help, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Perry Aynum wrote:
[...]

Details matter sometimes.- Hide quoted text -

Whatever he did, he can't suddenly start dumping water onto the
neighbors property, creating a flood around his shed, where it didn't
occur before. And I agree with Bob. From the way it's stated, it
appears far more likely that it's not just a foot of corrugated pipe.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a piece of corrugated pipe to
move water just a foot.

But let's ask Perry exactly what he did, how much further he
redirected the water, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:29:04 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

What kind of fence? Can you put something on your side of
the fence (lawn edging plastic stuff several inches tall?)
to keep the water out of your yard?

In my area, that could be illegal. The best idea is to start
by finding out the facts of local code.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That's what I'd do. Since he did this intentionally without consulting you,
I'd get a few scoops of rock and sand mix and just make a swale there so no
water could enter the property, and it would just send it back on his side..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:54:39 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled "HeyBub" , to say:

His waiting room had a 25' round ceiling, painted sky blue with cherubs and
angles flitting about. The ceiling was ringed with TWENTY 4-foot crystal
chandeliers. His consulting room was about 15x20 foot, one side completely
mirrored, there were were two life-size semi-nude statutes, brocade on the
opposite wall and on the ceiling, another chandelier. He sat at a
gold-filigreed table with curved legs while I sat in a chair of French
revolution heritage. The whole thing looked like the anteroom to Marie
Antonette's boudoir.

Gay gay gay gay gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

--

Real men don't text.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the
the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and drenching
the footings of my shed.
I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it
a few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to
back, instead of the back corner.
Do I have a reason to complain to the guy?

Your neighbor is probably just trying to solve his own drainage issues.
While he may be reckless in the way he handled it, maybe you could just
mention the problem and offer to help find a solution.

"Howdy neighbor, I see you just added a drainline for your downspouts. I
bet that really helps keep things dry over there. Unfortunately, the way
you have the pipes routed, it's flooding the area around my shed. Can I
help you install a drywell to disperse the flow? That way you can keep
things dry over there without flooding my property. Or maybe we can reroute
the lines so it runs off the other direction away from my buildings."

If he's a halfway decent person, I would think he would be happy to work
with you to find a solution that works for both of you. For example, I have
drainlines routed to the back of my property, and if I found out they were
causing issues for my neighbors, I would be happy to fix things so it
doesn't impact them.

On the off chance he's just a jerk, I would just look at it as natural
drainage. He's not CREATING water afterall, he's just redirecting the
natural flows. So how would you handle the situation if it were naturally
occurring? Maybe you could create a swale along your property, or add your
own drain lines to reroute the excess water to areas it won't hurt
anything.

Taking legal matters would be my absolute last resort. It would be
expensive, stressful, time consuming, and create even more tension with
your neighbor. In my opinion, it would just make a bad situation even
worse. He may fix this problem to appease the law, and then find something
else to annoy you with in the future.

Just my two cents,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

And since he's already done this to you once, and didn't fix it until you had
complained twice, how many more time will you be so nice and helpful?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 10:15*am, "DanG" wrote:
He is trying to care for his issues. *The law ends up saying you
can't add water to someone else's property and you can't stop
water that has always gone that way. *Have you looked over the
situation? *Is there a place or direction that could be beneficial
for both of you without messing up someone else? * If water has
always flowed toward you, he may need a rock garden or some other
diffusion *system to prevent *rutting out either of you. *A mutual
solution is always better.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Perry Aynum" wrote in message

My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right
up the the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property,
and drenching the footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. *In fact, he
did it a few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway
from front to back, instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? *Am I torqued over
nothing? Someone please talk me out of calling him and
"politely" asking him to move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through
the fence and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it
magically reappears again back towards my yard?- Hide quoted text -

My neighbor built a dam that blocked drainage of my property across
his and he had to remove it. He did so quite willingly once he was
informed of the law.

JImmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is the missing piece of information. It would have been helpful if
you had shared that the first time around.

I did mention that he did do this in my original post, and this is the 2nd
go-round. Please see the 2nd paragraph.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whatever he did, he can't suddenly start dumping water onto the
neighbors property, creating a flood around his shed, where it didn't
occur before. And I agree with Bob. From the way it's stated, it
appears far more likely that it's not just a foot of corrugated pipe.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a piece of corrugated pipe to
move water just a foot.

But let's ask Perry exactly what he did, how much further he
redirected the water, etc.

He ran what must be about 30' or 40' feet of corrugated pipes from
downspouts on both ends of his garage into a "T", and then ran them down to
about 6 to 8' up from the corner, so it drains right into my shed area. THe
drains pipes are orders of magnitude different from a 6' drain pipe
extension.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Daniels wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:54:39 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled "HeyBub" , to say:

His waiting room had a 25' round ceiling, painted sky blue with
cherubs and angles flitting about. The ceiling was ringed with
TWENTY 4-foot crystal chandeliers. His consulting room was about
15x20 foot, one side completely mirrored, there were were two
life-size semi-nude statutes, brocade on the opposite wall and
on the ceiling, another chandelier. He sat at a gold-filigreed
table with curved legs while I sat in a chair of French
revolution heritage. The whole thing looked like the anteroom to
Marie Antonette's boudoir.

Gay gay gay gay gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The thought occurred to me and is one reason I opted for a local anesthetic
instead of general sedation.

But, turns out, he's only an employee of "Elizabeth's Cosmetic Surgery,
LLC." [Not the real name] "Elizabeth's" picture was prominently displayed in
several places, including business cards. She's hot! Plus, the other
patients I saw there were women. The office manager is, however, a little
light in the loafers.

Maybe "Elizabeth" used to be a male?

I dunno.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 11:12*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
I have the nicest neighbors anyone could ever want. *My property
is higher than his and my gutters drain onto his property. *It
was that way when I moved in 16 years ago. *He ignored it because
he was working on other things. *He asked me if he could help me
put in a French Drain to move the runoff further away.

The plastic piping comes in whatever length you want it and it's
inexpensive.

Dick

A number of years ago I had a neighbor behind me threaten to sue me
over a drain that I had put into the corner of my back yard. The yard
had a natural slope from the front to back and left to right. The
drain pipes were put into the right rear corner of the yard. The drop
from the front to back was at least 3.5 feet.

What I asked the neighbor to do was come visit me during the next
major rain. We lived in North Houston where major rain events were
quite common. A few weeks later he took me up on my offer and visited
me in the middle of a heavy down pour to complain about the water
coming through the pipe. I took him into the back yard where he
immediately dropped his objections to my drain pipes.

As I said, the drain pipe was in the right corner but was only about
three inches in diameter. The flower beds around the back yard were
all built up considerably with high backings against the fence. They
ranged from 1 to 2 feet high against the fence. A walkway wound
through the back yard that used epoxy stone and flagstone to allow for
some water absorbtion. Due to the natural drainage of both my
property and my next door neighbors property, all of the rain water
from both ran across my back yard.

What convinced the neighbor to drop his suit was seeing that instead
of dumping all that water directly onto his property as it was
falling, I was restricting the water from flowing onto his property.
The water in that corner of the yard was over two feet deep and the
walkway around the backyard was like a retention pond with the water
between 6" and 2 ft. deep. It would normally take upwards of an hour
for the water to drain after a major rain. The neighbor decided to
put in a drain system from the point where I was funneling the water
around and by the side of his house to the street.

Sometimes the best thing is to talk with your neighbor and get a view
of why they have done what they have done before getting mad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:10:33 -0400, "Perry Aynum"
wrote:

He ran what must be about 30' or 40' feet of corrugated pipes from
downspouts on both ends of his garage into a "T", and then ran them down to
about 6 to 8' up from the corner, so it drains right into my shed area. THe
drains pipes are orders of magnitude different from a 6' drain pipe
extension.

Is this perforated drain pipes or solid? HE needs a French drain on
his property with perforated pipe. Let his land absorb the water.

Think of a septic leech field.

What's that saying fool me once, fool me twice.... The guy is on a two
stike rule (boxing gloves optional).

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Oren wrote:
If my neighbor sicced the authorities on me for some piddly drainage
issue, I'd hit the sonofabitch so hard his mother would die.

And how many times would you do it to him before he would be
justified in escalating?

Don't you think after the first time he should know better?

Does he have two black-eyes?

Off-topic:

*I* have two black eyes!

I had lower blepharoplasty done last week. But I want to tell you about the
surgeon's office.

His waiting room had a 25' round ceiling, painted sky blue with cherubs and
angles flitting about. The ceiling was ringed with TWENTY 4-foot crystal
chandeliers. His consulting room was about 15x20 foot, one side completely
mirrored, there were were two life-size semi-nude statutes, brocade on the
opposite wall and on the ceiling, another chandelier. He sat at a
gold-filigreed table with curved legs while I sat in a chair of French
revolution heritage. The whole thing looked like the anteroom to Marie
Antonette's boudoir.

The rest of the office was filled with crystal, giant tapestries,
ostentatiously framed oil paintings, marble floors, gold doorknobs, the
works.

When I left, I immediately went to the only tree in the parking lot and peed
on it - I just had to do something manly.

I did ask the surgeon, in passing, what it was like to work in an office of
beautiful women, or women who would shortly be beautiful. His response: "You
ever hear a woman go on about her hairdresser? Same thing. They are seldom
completely pleased."

I responded: "It's not just that. I was married once. Same thing."

Sorry for the digression, but I just had to get this off my chest (I've
already pulled out all the hair!).

There is a Florida eye surgeon - incredibly wealthy - who used to have a
Polaroid photo taken of himself with each patient and presented to the
patient. Like I make a scrapbook of surgeries with the surgeon's photo?
Yuck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 2:28*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Sure, create a swale in your own backyard because the neighbor just
ran 50 feet of pipe right up to the edge of your property and
channeled all the water from his roof into it. Maybe a nice big
drywell for the neighbors water would be helpful too. How about next
he starts throwing his leaves and garbage over the fence too? I
guess some folks were just made to be walked all over and afraid to
assert their own rights.

Taking legal matters would be my absolute last resort. It would be
expensive, stressful, time consuming, and create even more tension
with your neighbor. In my opinion, it would just make a bad situation
even worse. He may fix this problem to appease the law, and then find
something else to annoy you with in the future.

Just my two cents,

And since he's already done this to you once, and didn't fix it until you had
complained twice, how many more time will you be so nice and helpful?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 4:05*pm, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
This is the missing piece of information. *It would have been helpful if
you had shared that the first time around.

I did mention that he did do this in my original post, and this is the 2nd
go-round. *Please see the 2nd paragraph.

Don't worry about it. Reading comprehension is a lost art.

If you put more than two sentences in a paragraph, or more than three
in a post, it's too much for most people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure, create a swale in your own backyard because the neighbor just
ran 50 feet of pipe right up to the edge of your property and
channeled all the water from his roof into it. Maybe a nice big
drywell for the neighbors water would be helpful too.

Obviously, I don't know what kind of person the neighbor is, or what the
topography of the land is. My point was if the water runoff occurred
naturally anyway, I would rather solve the drainage issue, than argue with
the neighbor about his drain line.

How about next he starts throwing his leaves and garbage over the
fence too? I guess some folks were just made to be walked all over
and afraid to assert their own rights.

I'm not against taking legal action, I just think it should be the last
resort. I'm always amazed how many people immediately jump to the
conclusion that someone is trying to screw them over and rush to clog the
courts with lawsuits.

In my opinion, it would be a rare individual who would intentionally direct
water runoff to a neighbors property. Yes, those types of folks are out
there, but in most cases he's probably just trying to solve issues on his
own property and didn't take the time to consider the side effects. He may
not have taken any action from the intial complaints because he didn't
"KNOW" what to do about it. Maybe he moved the pipe after your complaints
and caused problems for a different neighbor?

Instead of just complaining and blaming the neighbor, offer to help find a
workable solution for both parties. THEN if he doesn't take action, you can
pursue legal actions. Remember, you still have to live next to this person
when all is said and done. I would make every effort to come to a peaceful
solution than to start a war that could last for years.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

So when would you actually try to force him to not divert water onto your yard.
After the third offense. Fourth, fifth?

This was clearly posted as a second offense, with multiple complaints before the
first was temporarily corrected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 2:58*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
HerHusband wrote:
[...]

first was temporarily corrected.- Hide quoted text -

There is nothign in the OP to indicate "multiple complaints". Yes,
some "hints" of prior problems but only one incident is mentioned.

Her Husband is correct. Taking legal action prior to trying to
resolve it amicably is downright stupid UNLESS there is already a
neighbor/neighbor war going on.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:46:14 -0400, "Perry Aynum"
wrote:

My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?

Check your local laws and tell him. The law might be something like 5
feet from the property line. Try to speak slowly and as calm as
possible when you discuss. Or, build a berm to keep the flow away
from your property. Avoid arguments.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 9:42*pm, harry k wrote:
On Apr 13, 2:58*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

This is nothing?

"I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it
a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back,
instead of the back corner. "

Her Husband is correct. *Taking legal action prior to trying to
resolve it amicably is downright stupid UNLESS there is already a
neighbor/neighbor war going on.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 5:03*am, wrote:
On Apr 13, 9:42*pm, harry k wrote:

On Apr 13, 2:58*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

So show where there is "multiple complaints" in that quote.

If you follow your own advice I can see you having a lot of neighbor
problems.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob,

So when would you actually try to force him to not divert water onto
your yard. After the third offense. Fourth, fifth?

When I had made every effort to peacefully find a "solution" with the
neighbor. This may be after the second offense, or after the tenth. Just
standing on my side of the fence and complaining isn't helping anyone, it
just makes me an annoying neighbor. But showing the neighbor what the
problem is and offering to help find a solution would benefit both parties.

This was clearly posted as a second offense, with multiple
complaints before the first was temporarily corrected.

OK, let's assume neighbor is doing this on purpose and you have exhausted
all peaceful solutions. Do you KNOW what is legal in your area?

I think Phisherman gave some great advice, call the county and check what
the local laws are. You may find the neighbor is completely within his
legal rights. Afterall, I think the original poster stated the drainline
ended eight feet away from the property line. That's a lot different than
dumping right at the fence. And the restrictions may be a lot different on
a city lot than they would be on rural property. If he is not breaking any
local codes, that makes YOU the annoying neighbor complaining about things
he has every right to do. In that case, you're right back to solving the
problem on your own.

Otherwise, you can show the neighbor the requirements and let him know you
would like to solve this peacefully before you have to take legal action.
Keep in mind, if he's dumping 8 feet from the fence and the laws state he
has to keep back at least 12 feet, he may just cut four feet off the pipe.
Will that eliminate the problem? Good luck...

Oh, and before you call the law into matters, you might want to make sure
sure you don't have any barking dogs, junk cars sitting around, fences too
tall or close to the property line, structures that exceed height or size
restrictions, buildings or other projects you constructed without a permit,
etc.. The law works both ways you know... You might also want to think
twice if the neighbor is a lawyer or a member of a biker gang...

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry k wrote:
On Apr 14, 5:03 am, wrote:
On Apr 13, 9:42 pm, harry k wrote:

On Apr 13, 2:58 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

complaints before the first was temporarily corrected.- Hide
quoted text -

There is nothign in the OP to indicate "multiple complaints". Yes,
some "hints" of prior problems but only one incident is mentioned.

This is nothing?

"I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it
a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back,
instead of the back corner. "

Her Husband is correct. Taking legal action prior to trying to
resolve it amicably is downright stupid UNLESS there is already a
neighbor/neighbor war going on.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

So show where there is "multiple complaints" in that quote.

If you follow your own advice I can see you having a lot of neighbor
problems.

And from a followup message:
"I am not interested in suing the guy. But the last time he did this little
trick I had to ask him twice to move the drain. I am tempted to go to the
city so the butthead gets the message this time."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 9:46*am, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. *In fact, he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? *Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?

Let me reiterate what others have said, because it is the best answer:
you need to talk with your neighbor! Approach him without rancor or
accusation. Say something along the lines of, "I don't know if you're
aware, but your downspout drains into my yard and is creating a
problem, and I wonder what solution we might be able to come up with
that will be good for both of us."

Approaching him that way either defuses him and he'll have to work
with you, or he will be a jerk to your face in which case you respond
by saying that his action has forced you to contact the county/city/
town/-ship for their help in solving the problem.

NOW...my wife and I have gotten into this rain runoff barrel thing
where we capture the water from the downspout to use to water the
lawn, garden and flower beds. So one possible solution would be to
suggest neighbor guy could get a barrel to help with his own lawn, or
you could offer to rig something up that would allow you to capture
his runoff and use it yourself. (Heck, if it's that much runoff, get a
greywater tank system and use his runoff to flush your toilets!)

Just some thoughts...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "MLD"
wrote:

"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the
fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the
footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a
few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back,
instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to
move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?

Maybe one night the end of the drain pipe becomes clogged with debris
resulting in water backing up all the way to his gutters.

Debris? You mean, like, uh, concrete? Good idea.