Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 53
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?


  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 388
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:46:14 -0400, "Perry Aynum"
wrote:

My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?


Considering the tone of your message, I would totally avoid
any contact with the neighbor and certainly any illegal action on your
part.

You need to contact the local authorities. In most areas
there are regulations about changing drainage patterns and how you
handle such drains. It sounds like your neighbor is in violation of
the typical regulation. Let the authorities handle it.

  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,563
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property


"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
...
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the
fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the
footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a
few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back,
instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to
move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?



Water has to drain somewhere and ultimately it will flow to whatever
downhill location exists. There is probably little to nothing you can do
about it anyway, so I would ignore the prick, and not give him any
satisfaction in knowing that he's annoyed you. There are lots of small
people in the world. Ignoring them is absolute torture to them



  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 358
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Perry Aynum wrote:

My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the
fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the
footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a
few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back,
instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to
move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?


Call your Building Dept. or Code enforcement.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,066
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

He is trying to care for his issues. The law ends up saying you
can't add water to someone else's property and you can't stop
water that has always gone that way. Have you looked over the
situation? Is there a place or direction that could be beneficial
for both of you without messing up someone else? If water has
always flowed toward you, he may need a rock garden or some other
diffusion system to prevent rutting out either of you. A mutual
solution is always better.


--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)




"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
...
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right
up the the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property,
and drenching the footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he
did it a few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway
from front to back, instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over
nothing? Someone please talk me out of calling him and
"politely" asking him to move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through
the fence and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it
magically reappears again back towards my yard?





  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,530
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

What kind of fence? Can you put something on your side of
the fence (lawn edging plastic stuff several inches tall?)
to keep the water out of your yard?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..


"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
...
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from
his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the
the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the
footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact,
he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front
to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued
over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely"
asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole
through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it
magically reappears
again back towards my yard?



  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 391
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

DanG wrote:
He is trying to care for his issues. The law ends up saying you
can't add water to someone else's property and you can't stop
water that has always gone that way. Have you looked over the
situation? Is there a place or direction that could be beneficial
for both of you without messing up someone else? If water has
always flowed toward you, he may need a rock garden or some other
diffusion system to prevent rutting out either of you. A mutual
solution is always better.



I agree. Nothing can create ill will faster than calling the
authorities before discussing the issue with your neighbor. If you let
him know you have a problem due to his actions, perhaps the two of you
can find a solution that satisfies both of you. If not, then you can
call the authorities for help.

I no longer live in a mega-city environment, but I did live in one for
many years. It is amazing how many people in large cities don't even
know their neighbors name, hence the reluctance to discuss a problem.
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,353
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property


"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
...
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the
fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the
footings of my shed.


Water does tend to run down hill and if you property is lower than his you
will get the water sooner or later anyway.

It does sound like he may being a bit of a butt to not allow the ground to
absorb some of the water before it reaches you.

Before you follow the advice of other posters and call code enforcement,
make sure your own house is in order. Did you get the proper permits for
the shed? Did you alter the natural drainage patterns with the shed (illegal
most places with codes)?

While it is annoying I doubt that a shed has enough weight for it to really
be an issue. Maybe some flow routing can help?

Colbyt


  #9   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,500
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Apr 11, 10:30*am, Ken wrote:
DanG wrote:
He is trying to care for his issues. *The law ends up saying you
can't add water to someone else's property and you can't stop
water that has always gone that way. *Have you looked over the
situation? *Is there a place or direction that could be beneficial
for both of you without messing up someone else? * If water has
always flowed toward you, he may need a rock garden or some other
diffusion *system to prevent *rutting out either of you. *A mutual
solution is always better.


* * * * I agree. *Nothing can create ill will faster than calling the
authorities before discussing the issue with your neighbor. *If you let
him know you have a problem due to his actions, perhaps the two of you
can find a solution that satisfies both of you. *If not, then you can
call the authorities for help.

* * * * I no longer live in a mega-city environment, but I did live in one for
many years. *It is amazing how many people in large cities don't even
know their neighbors name, hence the reluctance to discuss a problem.


+1

I'd start with figuring out if there is any easy solution as to where
he could be routing the water that would alleviate your concerns.
Then I'd talk to the neighbor. If that doesn't work, then I'd proceed
with a call to code enforcement and see what they have to say. It's
possible the neighbor didn't even think about what he was doing. But
of course it's also very possible he's just a jerk.
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,016
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

Before you follow the advice of other posters and call code enforcement,
make sure your own house is in order. Did you get the proper permits for
the shed? Did you alter the natural drainage patterns with the shed (illegal
most places with codes)?

Did you put the shed in a drainage easement. My property for instance
has a 20 foot drainage easement in the back yard that is easily
overlooked if you don't think about it.

--
If you¹re going to sin, sin against God,
not the bureaucracy; God will forgive you
but the bureaucracy won¹t.
‹Hyman G. Rickover



  #11   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 53
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property


Before you follow the advice of other posters and call code enforcement,
make sure your own house is in order. Did you get the proper permits for
the shed? Did you alter the natural drainage patterns with the shed
(illegal
most places with codes)?

Did you put the shed in a drainage easement. My property for instance
has a 20 foot drainage easement in the back yard that is easily
overlooked if you don't think about it.


Cold you explain what you mean by "drainage easement"?

To answer the other question - yes, I pulled a permit for the shed and it
is compliant.


  #12   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,016
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

In article ,
"Perry Aynum" wrote:


Before you follow the advice of other posters and call code enforcement,
make sure your own house is in order. Did you get the proper permits for
the shed? Did you alter the natural drainage patterns with the shed
(illegal
most places with codes)?

Did you put the shed in a drainage easement. My property for instance
has a 20 foot drainage easement in the back yard that is easily
overlooked if you don't think about it.


Cold you explain what you mean by "drainage easement"?

An easement for drainage (g). It is an area in back of my house that
basically contains the drainage swale and some extra. The developer put
in these easements for drainage where you can't put anything that would
impede drainage. Can't even run my fence in there because stuff floating
by might get caught and do the impeding.


To answer the other question - yes, I pulled a permit for the shed and it
is compliant.

Then that is probably not a concern.

--
If you¹re going to sin, sin against God,
not the bureaucracy; God will forgive you
but the bureaucracy won¹t.
‹Hyman G. Rickover

  #13   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,803
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the
the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and
drenching the footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it
a few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to
back, instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him
to move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the
fence and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically
reappears again back towards my yard?


Google "water drain to neighboring property".

http://www.google.com/search?q=water...x=&startPage=1


  #14   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 283
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property


"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
...
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the
fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the
footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a
few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back,
instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to
move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?

Maybe one night the end of the drain pipe becomes clogged with debris
resulting in water backing up all the way to his gutters.

  #15   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,418
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?



I would not move it. Degree of concern should be where the water drains
from, what alternatives there are, who was "there" first and general
slope of the properties. MUST he drain there to keep water away from
the foundation of his house? Got basements? Distance from house to
house? Drainage pipe to shed? Any potential real harm to your shed?
"Drenching the footings" sounds like a non-issue unless there is
standing water or really soggy soil around the shed.


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,538
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:11:24 -0400, "
wrote:

Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?



I would not move it. Degree of concern should be where the water drains
from, what alternatives there are, who was "there" first and general
slope of the properties. MUST he drain there to keep water away from
the foundation of his house? Got basements? Distance from house to
house? Drainage pipe to shed? Any potential real harm to your shed?
"Drenching the footings" sounds like a non-issue unless there is
standing water or really soggy soil around the shed.



It is illegal for a property owner to direct run-off onto another
person's property. In current developments here the location of
downspout discharges in relation to property lines is subject to
planning department approval (building permits0
  #17   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,824
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:33:36 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:


"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
...
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the
fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the
footings of my shed.


Water does tend to run down hill and if you property is lower than his you
will get the water sooner or later anyway.


AIUI, the Earth rotates once a day, so half the time, the water should
flow the other way.


  #18   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,852
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?



As crazy as I am, I would probably dig a pit and put a
large sump pump in it that would spray the water back
the way it came. *snicker*

TDD
  #19   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 347
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property


"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
...
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the
fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the
footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a
few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back,
instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to
move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?


Drainage law in most States is a left-over from British common law. To wit:
You have an obligation to take whatever waters nature would have sent
towards you. You have to accept your neighbor's water. However, your
neighbor has an obligation not to alter the path of the water and not to
concentrate it to one location. Obviously he has done that.

As one respondent noted above, he should spill the water onto a dissipater
(rock bed possibly the whole width of his yard) and thence the water will
revert back into sheet-flow instead of being concentrated against your shed.

I disagree with all the teat-suckers that suggest you run to your government
for help. Ultimately you have to work this out with your neighbor and might
even have to bring a tort claim against him.

BTW, a simple dissipater would consist of his drain pipe ending in a "TEE"
section. The "TEE" would be perforated pipe laid within about 6-8 inches of
drain rock. The pipe should follow the contours of his lot, i.e., it should
be run level. The entire assembly can be placed a few inches below ground
and a lawn can be placed thereon. The water will exit the perforated pipe,
saturate the drain rock and hopefully percolate into the ground. Whatever
does not percolate would 'sheet-flow' across his lot onto your property just
as nature had intended.

There are some codes and design standards for the above system. Some codes
require that the dissipation system be placed a minimum of 20 feet uphill
from your common property line.

Ivan Vegvary

  #20   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,644
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Apr 11, 4:17�pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
"Perry Aynum" wrote in message

...





My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the
fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the
footings of my shed.


I can't believe this is anything but intentional. �In fact, he did it a
few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back,
instead of the back corner.


Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? �Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to
move it again.


Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?


Drainage law in most States is a left-over from British common law. �To wit:
You have an obligation to take whatever waters nature would have sent
towards you. �You have to accept your neighbor's water. �However, your
neighbor has an obligation not to alter the path of the water and not to
concentrate it to one location. �Obviously he has done that.

As one respondent noted above, he should spill the water onto a dissipater
(rock bed possibly the whole width of his yard) and thence the water will
revert back into sheet-flow instead of being concentrated against your shed.

I disagree with all the teat-suckers that suggest you run to your government
for help. �Ultimately you have to work this out with your neighbor and might
even have to bring a tort claim against him.

BTW, a simple dissipater would consist of his drain pipe ending in a "TEE"
section. �The "TEE" would be perforated pipe laid within about 6-8 inches of
drain rock. �The pipe should follow the contours of his lot, i.e., it should
be run level. �The entire assembly can be placed a few inches below ground
and a lawn can be placed thereon. �The water will exit the perforated pipe,
saturate the drain rock and hopefully percolate into the ground. �Whatever
does not percolate would 'sheet-flow' across his lot onto your property just
as nature had intended.

There are some codes and design standards for the above system. �Some codes
require that the dissipation system be placed a minimum of 20 feet uphill
from your common property line.

Ivan Vegvary- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


around here code requires downspout water to goi in dry well.........

neighbor got in troublew and was required to install dry wells.

interestingly the water from his property still flows like a creek in
heavy rains..

first ask the neigbor nice, then if that doesnt work complain to
authorties.

but know your going to start a war, if you are doing anything the
other fellow can complain about


  #21   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 252
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:17:53 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

I disagree with all the teat-suckers that suggest you run to your government
for help. Ultimately you have to work this out with your neighbor and might
even have to bring a tort claim against him.


Howdy,

How might the OP "bring a tort claim" without the
involvement of the government?

Thanks,
--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
  #22   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,538
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the
the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and
drenching the footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it
a few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to
back, instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him
to move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the
fence and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically
reappears again back towards my yard?


You should probably try to either work with your neighbor or suck it up.

The downside of starting a war - either through spiteful actions or by
involving the authorities - is the possible retaliation. Your cats end up
dead. Your garage mysteriously catches fire. Your children get "free"
tattoos. Your outdoor grill generates a fire truck call.

If my neighbor sicced the authorities on me for some piddly drainage issue,
I'd hit the sonofabitch so hard his mother would die.

But that's just me.

And it could be your neighbor.


  #23   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,353
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property


"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
...

Cold you explain what you mean by "drainage easement"?



I image the codes vary a bit from state to state depending on ground
conditions and other factors. Here in our newer developments it is a part
of plat approval that homeowners will not alter the natural path of water
after the landscape engineering plan is approved by the planning commission.

To wit: water runs down hill to a proper catch basin and is slowly released
to the natural streams. Building a berm of some sort that blocks the
natural / structured flow of the water would be a code violation.

I personally think your neighbor is a butt to do this but the old saying
that about flies and honey is true. I would discuss it with him first.

I do doubt that it will hurt your shed unless it is creating a bog which
would mean you other problems on the down hill side of your shed.




  #24   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 347
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property


"Kenneth" wrote in message
...
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:17:53 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

I disagree with all the teat-suckers that suggest you run to your
government
for help. Ultimately you have to work this out with your neighbor and
might
even have to bring a tort claim against him.


Howdy,

How might the OP "bring a tort claim" without the
involvement of the government?

Thanks,
--
Kenneth


You simply sue him for any damage (erosion, over saturation, structural
destabilization etc.) you might incur.

BTW there is a big push to get surface waters to recharge the ground instead
of sending them by man-made conveyance to the nearest ditch, gulley, stream
etc. You might be able to sue under the environmental provisions of your
state laws. Bigger dollars and possibly you attorneys fees can also be
reimbursed.

Ivan Vegvary

  #25   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,586
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?


Hi,
Tampering with the natural drain pattern is against the law.
He should not do that.


  #26   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,668
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

That sounds like a very intelligent way to handle a dispute.


On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:47:41 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

If my neighbor sicced the authorities on me for some piddly drainage issue,
I'd hit the sonofabitch so hard his mother would die.


  #27   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 53
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property


I do doubt that it will hurt your shed unless it is creating a bog which
would mean you other problems on the down hill side of your shed.



But I shouldn't have to put on rubber boots just to go out to the shed.

I am not interested in suing the guy. But the last time he did this little
trick I had to ask him twice to move the drain. I am tempted to go to the
city so the butthead gets the message this time.


  #28   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 252
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:00:58 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:


"Kenneth" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:17:53 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

I disagree with all the teat-suckers that suggest you run to your
government
for help. Ultimately you have to work this out with your neighbor and
might
even have to bring a tort claim against him.


Howdy,

How might the OP "bring a tort claim" without the
involvement of the government?

Thanks,
--
Kenneth


You simply sue him for any damage (erosion, over saturation, structural
destabilization etc.) you might incur.

BTW there is a big push to get surface waters to recharge the ground instead
of sending them by man-made conveyance to the nearest ditch, gulley, stream
etc. You might be able to sue under the environmental provisions of your
state laws. Bigger dollars and possibly you attorneys fees can also be
reimbursed.

Ivan Vegvary


Hi again,

Are you of the belief that filing a suit would not involve
the government?

Thanks again,
--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
  #29   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,418
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:11:24 -0400, "
wrote:

Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?


I would not move it. Degree of concern should be where the water drains
from, what alternatives there are, who was "there" first and general
slope of the properties. MUST he drain there to keep water away from
the foundation of his house? Got basements? Distance from house to
house? Drainage pipe to shed? Any potential real harm to your shed?
"Drenching the footings" sounds like a non-issue unless there is
standing water or really soggy soil around the shed.



It is illegal for a property owner to direct run-off onto another
person's property. In current developments here the location of
downspout discharges in relation to property lines is subject to
planning department approval (building permits0


The OP doesn't give enough info to show whether this is really altering
what existed before he put the pipe next to the fence. The solution
might be as simple as placing some rock to break and disperse the flow
of the water.

Our condo has downspouts that empty right next to the building. Over
the years, the ground was badly rutted, hedges had bare roots from soil
washed away, and it looked bad. After filling in eroded soil, very
simple changes kept it in place and made the place look nice. A couple
of suitable plants or some ground cover might accomplish the same thing.

If the neighbor extended the pipe so that water drains 20' from where it
should, then it is grounds for contacting code enforcement because it is
an obvious change - not enough info. It is certainly easy to start a
war with some people, and some will never let it end.
  #30   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,192
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:16:43 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

That sounds like a very intelligent way to handle a dispute.


On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:47:41 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

If my neighbor sicced the authorities on me for some piddly drainage issue,
I'd hit the sonofabitch so hard his mother would die.


It all happens after an invitation for a cold beverage, brunch or any
other place of neutrality. Never go into the lions den!!

One option is for the OP to Water Board the neighbor..



  #31   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,803
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Perry Aynum wrote:
I do doubt that it will hurt your shed unless it is creating a bog
which would mean you other problems on the down hill side of your
shed.


But I shouldn't have to put on rubber boots just to go out to the
shed.
I am not interested in suing the guy. But the last time he did this
little trick I had to ask him twice to move the drain. I am tempted
to go to the city so the butthead gets the message this time.


If you;ve already dealt with him doing this once and he did it again, I'd agree.


  #32   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,803
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:11:24 -0400, "
wrote:

Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up
the the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and
drenching the footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did
it a few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from
front to back, instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over
nothing? Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely"
asking him to move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through
the fence and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it
magically reappears again back towards my yard?


I would not move it. Degree of concern should be where the water
drains from, what alternatives there are, who was "there" first and
general slope of the properties. MUST he drain there to keep water
away from the foundation of his house? Got basements? Distance
from house to house? Drainage pipe to shed? Any potential real
harm to your shed? "Drenching the footings" sounds like a non-issue
unless there is standing water or really soggy soil around the shed.



It is illegal for a property owner to direct run-off onto another
person's property. In current developments here the location of
downspout discharges in relation to property lines is subject to
planning department approval (building permits0


The OP doesn't give enough info to show whether this is really
altering what existed before he put the pipe next to the fence. The
solution might be as simple as placing some rock to break and
disperse the flow of the water.


It seems pretty clear to me.

"My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up
the the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and
drenching the footings of my shed."

The water didn't used to go there. Now it does.


  #33   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,803
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

HeyBub wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the
the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and
drenching the footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it
a few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to
back, instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over
nothing? Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely"
asking him to move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the
fence and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically
reappears again back towards my yard?


You should probably try to either work with your neighbor or suck it
up.
The downside of starting a war - either through spiteful actions or by
involving the authorities - is the possible retaliation. Your cats
end up dead. Your garage mysteriously catches fire. Your children get
"free" tattoos. Your outdoor grill generates a fire truck call.

If my neighbor sicced the authorities on me for some piddly drainage
issue, I'd hit the sonofabitch so hard his mother would die.


And how many times would you do it to him before he would be justified in
escalating?

Don't you think after the first time he should know better?



  #34   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,192
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:00:58 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:


"Kenneth" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:17:53 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

I disagree with all the teat-suckers that suggest you run to your
government
for help. Ultimately you have to work this out with your neighbor and
might
even have to bring a tort claim against him.


Howdy,

How might the OP "bring a tort claim" without the
involvement of the government?

Thanks,
--
Kenneth


You simply sue him for any damage (erosion, over saturation, structural
destabilization etc.) you might incur.


Read the question posed, again.

  #35   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,353
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property


"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
...
I am not interested in suing the guy. But the last time he did this
little trick I had to ask him twice to move the drain. I am tempted to go
to the city so the butthead gets the message this time.



This is the missing piece of information. It would have been helpful if you
had shared that the first time around.

Report him to the city or sue him. He obviously is not a good neighbor.
Others have mentioned the potential repercussions. But sometimes we just
have to stand and fight. I always prefer to avoid them but am not afraid to
do it if necessary.

The city costs a lot less than lawyers.

Colbyt




  #36   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,192
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:48:35 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his
downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the
the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and
drenching the footings of my shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it
a few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to
back, instead of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over
nothing? Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely"
asking him to move it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the
fence and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically
reappears again back towards my yard?


You should probably try to either work with your neighbor or suck it
up.
The downside of starting a war - either through spiteful actions or by
involving the authorities - is the possible retaliation. Your cats
end up dead. Your garage mysteriously catches fire. Your children get
"free" tattoos. Your outdoor grill generates a fire truck call.

If my neighbor sicced the authorities on me for some piddly drainage
issue, I'd hit the sonofabitch so hard his mother would die.


And how many times would you do it to him before he would be justified in
escalating?

Don't you think after the first time he should know better?



Does he have two black-eyes?
  #37   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,538
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Oren wrote:

If my neighbor sicced the authorities on me for some piddly drainage
issue, I'd hit the sonofabitch so hard his mother would die.


And how many times would you do it to him before he would be
justified in escalating?

Don't you think after the first time he should know better?



Does he have two black-eyes?


Off-topic:

*I* have two black eyes!

I had lower blepharoplasty done last week. But I want to tell you about the
surgeon's office.

His waiting room had a 25' round ceiling, painted sky blue with cherubs and
angles flitting about. The ceiling was ringed with TWENTY 4-foot crystal
chandeliers. His consulting room was about 15x20 foot, one side completely
mirrored, there were were two life-size semi-nude statutes, brocade on the
opposite wall and on the ceiling, another chandelier. He sat at a
gold-filigreed table with curved legs while I sat in a chair of French
revolution heritage. The whole thing looked like the anteroom to Marie
Antonette's boudoir.

The rest of the office was filled with crystal, giant tapestries,
ostentatiously framed oil paintings, marble floors, gold doorknobs, the
works.

When I left, I immediately went to the only tree in the parking lot and peed
on it - I just had to do something manly.

I did ask the surgeon, in passing, what it was like to work in an office of
beautiful women, or women who would shortly be beautiful. His response: "You
ever hear a woman go on about her hairdresser? Same thing. They are seldom
completely pleased."

I responded: "It's not just that. I was married once. Same thing."

Sorry for the digression, but I just had to get this off my chest (I've
already pulled out all the hair!).



  #38   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,538
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Bob F wrote:

If my neighbor sicced the authorities on me for some piddly drainage
issue, I'd hit the sonofabitch so hard his mother would die.


And how many times would you do it to him before he would be
justified in escalating?

Don't you think after the first time he should know better?


Heh! In my days as a cop, I made a follow-up call at the hospital emergency
room to the victim of a chain-saw attack. The conversation went like this:

Me: "We got the dude that cut you and put him in jail for being drunk. I
need you to go with me to file charges of aggravated assault."

Vicitim: "Hell, no! I ain't filin' no charges!"

Me: (?) "Why not?"

Victim: (pointing to weird-shaped bandages) "****, man, look what he did and
he didn't even know me. Whadda you think he'd do if he was mad at me?"

I took to heart that the FIRST lesson given to a miscreant has to be
overwhelming, immediate, and medieval.

----
Aside:
Cop work is usually very boring. Still, your curiosity gets peaked when you
hear (earlier in the evening):

Dispatcher: "1520. Make a fight. In progress. Parking lot of Joe's Joint,
11520 West Hardy. Reportedly two white females with chainsaws involved. Any
unit clear and close to backup 1520?"

Or this one:

Dispatcher: "650"

Unit 650: "650. Go."

Dispatcher: "650, check a report of a nude, colored female running across
the Highway 90 bridge at this time."

Unit 650: "650 clear. Enroute."

(two minutes pass)

Dispatcher: "650"

Unit 650: "650, Go"

Dispatcher: "650, have additional information on your nude, colored female
subject. She is reportedly being pursued at this time by another colored
female with a knife. Handle code 3"

Unit 650: "650 Clear"

I purposefully NEVER inquired as to the circumstances behind this radio
exchange. I knew full-well that whatever the actual events were, they could
never be as good as my imagination.




  #39   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,538
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:41:16 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Perry Aynum wrote:
I do doubt that it will hurt your shed unless it is creating a bog
which would mean you other problems on the down hill side of your
shed.


But I shouldn't have to put on rubber boots just to go out to the
shed.
I am not interested in suing the guy. But the last time he did this
little trick I had to ask him twice to move the drain. I am tempted
to go to the city so the butthead gets the message this time.


If you;ve already dealt with him doing this once and he did it again, I'd agree.

Send him a registered letter of complaint, give him 3 days, then go to
the city.
  #40   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 222
Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

I have the nicest neighbors anyone could ever want. My property
is higher than his and my gutters drain onto his property. It
was that way when I moved in 16 years ago. He ignored it because
he was working on other things. He asked me if he could help me
put in a French Drain to move the runoff further away.

The plastic piping comes in whatever length you want it and it's
inexpensive.

Dick
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
neighbor built over my property line Patches Forever Home Repair 42 November 30th 06 03:33 PM
neighbor built over my property line Patches Forever Home Repair 2 November 5th 06 06:52 PM
Neighbor disputes my property line location MiamiCuse Home Repair 70 June 25th 06 06:56 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"