Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Sure, create a swale in your own backyard because the neighbor just
ran 50 feet of pipe right up to the edge of your property and
channeled all the water from his roof into it. Maybe a nice big
drywell for the neighbors water would be helpful too.

Obviously, I don't know what kind of person the neighbor is, or what the
topography of the land is. My point was if the water runoff occurred
naturally anyway, I would rather solve the drainage issue, than argue with
the neighbor about his drain line.

How about next he starts throwing his leaves and garbage over the
fence too? I guess some folks were just made to be walked all over
and afraid to assert their own rights.

I'm not against taking legal action, I just think it should be the last
resort. I'm always amazed how many people immediately jump to the
conclusion that someone is trying to screw them over and rush to clog the
courts with lawsuits.

In my opinion, it would be a rare individual who would intentionally direct
water runoff to a neighbors property. Yes, those types of folks are out
there, but in most cases he's probably just trying to solve issues on his
own property and didn't take the time to consider the side effects. He may
not have taken any action from the intial complaints because he didn't
"KNOW" what to do about it. Maybe he moved the pipe after your complaints
and caused problems for a different neighbor?

Instead of just complaining and blaming the neighbor, offer to help find a
workable solution for both parties. THEN if he doesn't take action, you can
pursue legal actions. Remember, you still have to live next to this person
when all is said and done. I would make every effort to come to a peaceful
solution than to start a war that could last for years.

Anthony