Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Bob,

So when would you actually try to force him to not divert water onto
your yard. After the third offense. Fourth, fifth?

When I had made every effort to peacefully find a "solution" with the
neighbor. This may be after the second offense, or after the tenth. Just
standing on my side of the fence and complaining isn't helping anyone, it
just makes me an annoying neighbor. But showing the neighbor what the
problem is and offering to help find a solution would benefit both parties.

This was clearly posted as a second offense, with multiple
complaints before the first was temporarily corrected.

OK, let's assume neighbor is doing this on purpose and you have exhausted
all peaceful solutions. Do you KNOW what is legal in your area?

I think Phisherman gave some great advice, call the county and check what
the local laws are. You may find the neighbor is completely within his
legal rights. Afterall, I think the original poster stated the drainline
ended eight feet away from the property line. That's a lot different than
dumping right at the fence. And the restrictions may be a lot different on
a city lot than they would be on rural property. If he is not breaking any
local codes, that makes YOU the annoying neighbor complaining about things
he has every right to do. In that case, you're right back to solving the
problem on your own.

Otherwise, you can show the neighbor the requirements and let him know you
would like to solve this peacefully before you have to take legal action.
Keep in mind, if he's dumping 8 feet from the fence and the laws state he
has to keep back at least 12 feet, he may just cut four feet off the pipe.
Will that eliminate the problem? Good luck...

Oh, and before you call the law into matters, you might want to make sure
sure you don't have any barking dogs, junk cars sitting around, fences too
tall or close to the property line, structures that exceed height or size
restrictions, buildings or other projects you constructed without a permit,
etc.. The law works both ways you know... You might also want to think
twice if the neighbor is a lawyer or a member of a biker gang...

Anthony