Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Apr 13, 2:58*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
HerHusband wrote:
Sure, create a swale in your own backyard because the neighbor just
ran 50 feet of pipe right up to the edge of your property and
channeled all the water from his roof into it. * Maybe a nice big
drywell for the neighbors water would be helpful too.

Obviously, I don't know what kind of person the neighbor is, or what
the topography of the land is. My point was if the water runoff
occurred naturally anyway, I would rather solve the drainage issue,
than argue with the neighbor about his drain line.

How about next he starts throwing his leaves and garbage over the
fence too? I guess some folks were just made to be walked all over
and afraid to assert their own rights.

I'm not against taking legal action, I just think it should be the
last resort. I'm always amazed how many people immediately jump to the
conclusion that someone is trying to screw them over and rush to clog
the courts with lawsuits.

In my opinion, it would be a rare individual who would intentionally
direct water runoff to a neighbors property. Yes, those types of
folks are out there, but in most cases he's probably just trying to
solve issues on his own property and didn't take the time to consider
the side effects. He may not have taken any action from the intial
complaints because he didn't "KNOW" what to do about it. Maybe he
moved the pipe after your complaints and caused problems for a
different neighbor?

Instead of just complaining and blaming the neighbor, offer to help
find a workable solution for both parties. THEN if he doesn't take
action, you can pursue legal actions. *Remember, you still have to
live next to this person when all is said and done. I would make
every effort to come to a peaceful solution than to start a war that
could last for years.

So when would you actually try to force him to not divert water onto your yard.
After the third offense. Fourth, fifth?

This was clearly posted as a second offense, with multiple complaints before the
first was temporarily corrected.- Hide quoted text -

There is nothign in the OP to indicate "multiple complaints". Yes,
some "hints" of prior problems but only one incident is mentioned.

Her Husband is correct. Taking legal action prior to trying to
resolve it amicably is downright stupid UNLESS there is already a
neighbor/neighbor war going on.

Harry K