Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

On Apr 11, 9:46*am, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts
down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it
is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my
shed.

I can't believe this is anything but intentional. *In fact, he did it a few
years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead
of the back corner.

Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? *Am I torqued over nothing?
Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move
it again.

Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence
and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears
again back towards my yard?

Let me reiterate what others have said, because it is the best answer:
you need to talk with your neighbor! Approach him without rancor or
accusation. Say something along the lines of, "I don't know if you're
aware, but your downspout drains into my yard and is creating a
problem, and I wonder what solution we might be able to come up with
that will be good for both of us."

Approaching him that way either defuses him and he'll have to work
with you, or he will be a jerk to your face in which case you respond
by saying that his action has forced you to contact the county/city/
town/-ship for their help in solving the problem.

NOW...my wife and I have gotten into this rain runoff barrel thing
where we capture the water from the downspout to use to water the
lawn, garden and flower beds. So one possible solution would be to
suggest neighbor guy could get a barrel to help with his own lawn, or
you could offer to rig something up that would allow you to capture
his runoff and use it yourself. (Heck, if it's that much runoff, get a
greywater tank system and use his runoff to flush your toilets!)

Just some thoughts...