Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete - Using Quickcrete, how much to mix?

This is my first crack at concrete. Small job and I figure I'll need a
bit over 1.5 cubic feet, and I'm planning to do the work this afternoon.
I've almost finished my forms and am reading the instructions in my
Reader's Digest Complete DIY book.

I read the instructions on the bag of Quickcrete (60 lb.) I bought, and
it says to use 4 quarts of water with it, maximum 5 quarts. There's no
mention of how many cubic feet (or inches, I figure a cubic foot is 1725
cubic inches) I can expect to get out of a 60 lb. bag. I don't want to
mix much more than I'll need, and figure a sure don't want to mix less.
How do I determine how much to mix?

To extend the mix, I figure to put in some crushed concrete or rocks I
have. I have tons of that stuff around (maybe literally!), and figure
I'll crush some with a sledge hammer. Not much, just some near the
bottom of the pour.

Thanks for the help!

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
news
[...]

Assuming you're planting a post, I'd say get a second 60# bag and bring the
volume up to 1.5 CF with your aggregate. Remember to slope the surface for
drainage away from the post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Musicant wrote:
[...]

Get another bag. Mix up one bag. If it's not enough, mix up the second.

Unmixed concrete doesn't keep very long. It sucks the moisture out of the
air.

Hint 1: A wheelbarrow makes an excellent mixing venue.
Hint 2. Start mixing with much less water than you think you'll need. Add a
little bit at a time. It is VERY easy to use too much water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 13:06:19 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
: This is my first crack at concrete. Small job and I figure I'll need a
: bit over 1.5 cubic feet, and I'm planning to do the work this afternoon.
:...
: I read the instructions on the bag of Quickcrete (60 lb.) I bought, and
: it says to use 4 quarts of water with it, maximum 5 quarts. There's no
: mention of how many cubic feet (or inches, I figure a cubic foot is 1725
: cubic inches) I can expect to get out of a 60 lb. bag. I don't want to
: mix much more than I'll need, and figure a sure don't want to mix less.
: How do I determine how much to mix?
:
:http://www.quikrete.com/Calculator/Main.asp
:
:A 60-lb bag will make just under 0.5 cu-ft, an 80 about 0.6. It's
rinted on the bags somewhere, I'm sure.

Yeah, probably printed. I cut out the instructions and threw away the
bag, storing the mix in plastic containers to seal out moisture. The
instructions don't say.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:30:23 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

an Musicant wrote:
[...]
OK, thanks. I'll go buy another bag. Even so, I figure I'll have to add
rock, I probably have a couple of tons in the yard! I have to break up
some, though. Did some already.l

I wish I was doing something as easy as a post, It's actually a tricky
little border. The one that's there for some reason they didn't complete
it and the rest was done with unmortared bricks, just stacked there.
Tired of realigning the bricks I decided to complete the raised concrete
border, which requires forms and some care so the whole thing matches.

I have a wheelbarrow I can use. I saw a crew do some concrete work in my
yard around a year ago and have an idea how to go about it. They did a
trenchless sewer replacement. I enjoyed watching them do the concrete.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote

Dan, I was hunting up thre quickcrete site and noted the forms for making a
brick-look. Seemed easy. Is that what you are doing? I may do it here.
The simple standard brick look seems right for this project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 15:20:08 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
:...
: OK, thanks. I'll go buy another bag. Even so, I figure I'll have to add
: rock, I probably have a couple of tons in the yard! I have to break up
: some, though. Did some already.l
:
:Get two, once you're started you won't have time for a trip.
:
:...
:
: I have a wheelbarrow I can use. I saw a crew do some concrete work in my
: yard around a year ago and have an idea how to go about it. ...
:
:You have a trowel and edging tool to use to put a finish on it?

Well, don't have an edging tool and thought of making or buying one but
the concrete edging I'm duplicating here doesn't really have an edge.
The edge is basically sharp, or almost, so I'm not concerned about it. I
do have a trowel.

I bought only one extra bag, but it proved more than enough. I wound up
using a little over 1 1/2 bags. I mixed one, used it and then mixed the
other.

What I decided was that I'd dug down too far and I filled in a lot of
the trough with dirt. I think it was really too deep and a waste of
concrete.

I think it probably came out pretty OK, but won't know for sure until
it's cured, I guess. I don't know when to remove the forms. Should I
wait 5 days until the concrete's cured?

I was disappointed in the Quikcrete. It seemed to me that there was too
large a proportion of rocks, not enough cement. It was a LOT of work
getting a smooth surface. Maybe I didn't put in enough water, but
instructions I read suggested that too much water is apt to produce
crumbly concrete, whereas too little will produce concrete that's hard
to work. Rather than risk the former, I went with being maybe bit
conservative in the amount of water.

To cure, I think I'm supposed to keep it damp. How important is that?
It's supposed to rain here starting in a couple of days for maybe 1/2 a
day.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:27:25 -0400, wrote:

:On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 13:01:45 -0700, Dan Musicant )
:
:wrote:
:
:an Musicant wrote:
:: This is my first crack at concrete. Small job and I figure I'll need a
:: bit over 1.5 cubic feet, and I'm planning to do the work this
:: afternoon. I've almost finished my forms and am reading the
:: instructions in my Reader's Digest Complete DIY book.
::
[...]
:Concrete is cheap. If this is something more than fence posts, don't
:try to save 4 bucks using rocks. If I was figuring 1.5 cu/ft I would
:get 4 60s and have one left over if I was right but you don't want to
:be 1.45 yards in and run out. (or just put in too much water and need
:some more concrete mix to get it right). Kept in a drywall bucket with
:a good top it lasts quite a while if you don't mix it up..

Yes, it was pretty cheap. I got two 60 lb. bags of Quikcrete concrete
mix for under $5. I decided I didn't really need 1.5 cu. ft., more like
..75. I did put some rocks in there, but it turned out I really didn't
need those because I had a fair amount left over (mixed).

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 17:17:01 -0400, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

:"Dan Musicant" wrote
:
an, I was hunting up thre quickcrete site and noted the forms for making a
:brick-look. Seemed easy. Is that what you are doing? I may do it here.
:The simple standard brick look seems right for this project.

I'll try to describe what I did. Just next to my house there's a small
rectangular patch of ground with plants. It's about 3.5 feet by 12 feet.
On one long side is the side of the house, red brick. On the other 3
sides is a concrete surround, raised about 4 inches above the concrete
patio. For some reason, one of the shorts sides was missing, and a very
short portion of the long side. I put in the missing concrete today.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, don't have an edging tool and thought of making or buying one
but the concrete edging I'm duplicating here doesn't really have an
edge. The edge is basically sharp, or almost, so I'm not concerned
about it. I do have a trowel.

I bought only one extra bag, but it proved more than enough. I wound
up using a little over 1 1/2 bags. I mixed one, used it and then
mixed the other.

What I decided was that I'd dug down too far and I filled in a lot of
the trough with dirt. I think it was really too deep and a waste of
concrete.

I think it probably came out pretty OK, but won't know for sure until
it's cured, I guess. I don't know when to remove the forms. Should I
wait 5 days until the concrete's cured?

You can remove the forms after an hour or so. I watched a professional
crew do a driveway ramp last month at a Habitat for Humanity house, and
they took off the forms after 30 minutes.

I was disappointed in the Quikcrete. It seemed to me that there was
too large a proportion of rocks, not enough cement. It was a LOT of
work getting a smooth surface. Maybe I didn't put in enough water, but
instructions I read suggested that too much water is apt to produce
crumbly concrete, whereas too little will produce concrete that's hard
to work. Rather than risk the former, I went with being maybe bit
conservative in the amount of water.

Quikcrete is fast-setting, hence the name. You only have about 15
minutes to mix it, pour it, and work it, maybe a little longer if you
mix it wet. Sakcrete is the regular stuff, with the long open time.

I like the consistency to be about like peanut butter.

To cure, I think I'm supposed to keep it damp. How important is that?
It's supposed to rain here starting in a couple of days for maybe 1/2
a day.

Don't worry about it. It's already cured. You used Quikcrete, remember?
You can spray it lightly with the hose a couple of times per day if you
want, and you can put some old tote sacks over it to keep it moist
longer. The "keep it moist" recommendation is for big jobs, like a
slab, where you worry about cracks.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 11:06*am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
This is my first crack at concrete. Small job and I figure I'll need a
bit over 1.5 cubic feet, and I'm planning to do the work this afternoon..

I read the instructions on the bag of Quickcrete (60 lb.) I bought, and
it says to use 4 quarts of water with it, maximum 5 quarts. There's no
mention of how many cubic feet (or inches, I figure a cubic foot is 1725
cubic inches) I can expect to get out of a 60 lb. bag. I don't want to
mix much more than I'll need, and figure a sure don't want to mix less.
How do I determine how much to mix?

http://www.quikrete.com/Calculator/Main.asp

A 60-lb bag will make just under 0.5 cu-ft, an 80 about 0.6. *It's
printed on the bags somewhere, I'm sure.

--

Info from a from a Jun 16 2007 thread

http://www.quickrete.com/PDFs/SPEC_DATA-ConcreteMix.pdf

60 lb bag .45 cu ft
80 lb bag .60 cu ft

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 06:51:37 -0500, wrote:

:On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:23:38 -0700, Dan Musicant )
:wrote:
:
:I was disappointed in the Quikcrete. It seemed to me that there was too
:large a proportion of rocks, not enough cement. It was a LOT of work
:getting a smooth surface. Maybe I didn't put in enough water, but
:instructions I read suggested that too much water is apt to produce
:crumbly concrete, whereas too little will produce concrete that's hard
:to work. Rather than risk the former, I went with being maybe bit
:conservative in the amount of water.
:
:I have always felt that Quickcrete (all brands), never contain enough
:raw cement. It's weak. I either mix my own using sand, stone, and
ortland cement, or if the job is real small I use Quickcrete, but I
:add a little more portland cement. (I bought a bag of portland some
:years ago, and keep it in a well sealed plastic pail).

THAT idea I like! Portland cement to supplement the Quikcrete. It was
murder getting that stuff smooth. I was just lucky I didn't have a lot
to do. Less than 2 square feet to smooth. It was tricky, though. There
was a tight corner where I couldn't use my trowel and I used a small
wood & compressed board one I made many years ago. Lucky I had that.

:
:As far as keeping it moist, for a small job like yours, wet rags over
:the pour work well. Saves soaking it several times a day. In hot
:weather, a tarp or plastic trash bags over the rags help too.
:
ont wait 5 days to remove forms. They will be hard to remove.
:Remove within 24 hours. In hot weather that can mean an hour after
:the pouring, but I prefer to wait several hours to avoid sag. You can
:usually tell when it's set.

I'll remove the forms today for sure. Thanks.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 03:46:18 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:

:Quikcrete is fast-setting, hence the name. You only have about 15
:minutes to mix it, pour it, and work it, maybe a little longer if you
:mix it wet. Sakcrete is the regular stuff, with the long open time.

I took a lot longer than that. It wasn't too warm. Maybe 72-70, and the
sun was obscured by clouds. It was damn hard to smooth the surface
though, but I resisted the temptation to add water. I did spray one area
a tiny bit with water.
:
:I like the consistency to be about like peanut butter.

Must be the chunkiest damn peanut butter ever. To me it seemed like
almost all rocks.
:
: To cure, I think I'm supposed to keep it damp. How important is that?
: It's supposed to rain here starting in a couple of days for maybe 1/2
: a day.
:
on't worry about it. It's already cured. You used Quikcrete, remember?
:You can spray it lightly with the hose a couple of times per day if you
:want, and you can put some old tote sacks over it to keep it moist
:longer. The "keep it moist" recommendation is for big jobs, like a
:slab, where you worry about cracks.

Next time I'll look for slower stuff. I was in no hurry. It seems set OK
now. The sides are very rough, though. Since they were against the forms
I had no chance to smooth them with the trowel. I did try to force the
mix down very will with a narrow tamping tool, but even so, the sides
are just stones exposed. Only the top is smooth.

Here are some pictures:

Rough sides:
http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user... ughsides.jpg

Is there something I can do to fill in the sides? I figure it will hold
up, it just looks lousy.

Forms:
http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user...le=Fo rms.jpg

Net effect:
http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user...e teffect.jpg

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Rough sides:

http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user... ughsides.jpg

Is there something I can do to fill in the sides? I figure it will
hold up, it just looks lousy.

Forms:

http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user...le=Fo rms.jpg

Net effect:

http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user...e teffect.jpg

You needed more water. Oh well, live and learn. It will work just fine.

Let the concrete cure for a few weeks (or months if you want) until it
gets its final color, then apply some sanded mortar. The store will
have a color chart you can use to get the best match. I have a Mapei
(brand name) chart that must have 60 different colors, so there's bound
to be one that will suit you.

Heck, go wild and cover the whole border with the nice turquoise color.
;-)

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 23:44:45 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"

:
: Rough sides:
:
[...]
:;-)

I have some Quikcrete mortar, 60 lb that I've been storing in plastic,
sort of like drywall mix containers to remortar my external brick walls.
I'll maybe use that or if I don't like the color go for a color match.
Thanks!

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:46:51 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
:...
: Next time I'll look for slower stuff. I was in no hurry. It seems set OK
: now. The sides are very rough, though. Since they were against the forms
: I had no chance to smooth them with the trowel. I did try to force the
: mix down very will with a narrow tamping tool, but even so, the sides
: are just stones exposed. Only the top is smooth.
:
: Here are some pictures:
:
: Rough sides:
:...
:
:Too dry--it's got to have enough liquidity that it will flow and this
bviously didn't.
:
: Is there something I can do to fill in the sides? I figure it will hold
: up, it just looks lousy.
:...
:Now you can use another Quikrete product!
:
:Either the vinyl patching concrete or the surface repair will work. I'd
:do either right away, however, while the other is still green and damp
:for better bonding.
:
:I've had good success on the old barn foundation w/ some chips, etc.,
:that weren't very deep w/ it holding using the vinyl patch.
:
:The stucco overcoat isn't bad idea other then doing whole thing rather
:than patching the new section only...of course, that has the advantage
f it then does all have same finish.

Well, this was a good lesson in how to and how not to. I'll go down to
that hardware emporium (OSH) and I'm sure they'll have those products.

The Quikcrete bags said to start with 2 qt water and add more a little
at a time and in no circumstances use more than 3.5 qt. I started with a
gallon jug, starting with 2 qt and used about 2.5-2.75 qt all in all,
sort of in between their min-max values.

I suppose since it was mixed dry, proper curing is even more important.
I've been spraying a few times a day with a mister.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:46:51 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
:...
: Next time I'll look for slower stuff. ...

I intended to comment on this before -- the earlier comment that "all"
Quikrete products are fast-setting is simply not so--"Quikrete" is a
registered trademark for the Quikrete companies' products. Everything
is branded w/ the trademark. They do have quick-setting products, but
they (iirc) come in red bags and are easily identified.

Well, this was a good lesson in how to and how not to. I'll go down to
that hardware emporium (OSH) and I'm sure they'll have those products.

The Quikcrete bags said to start with 2 qt water and add more a little
at a time and in no circumstances use more than 3.5 qt. I started with a
gallon jug, starting with 2 qt and used about 2.5-2.75 qt all in all,
sort of in between their min-max values.

I suppose since it was mixed dry, proper curing is even more important.
I've been spraying a few times a day with a mister.

I judge based on mixing and how stiff I want the mixture for a given
purpose--a little practice and you'll learn. It shouldn't be
exceedingly runny, of course, but as you learned it does need to be able
to flow sufficiently to fill voids.

No larger a pour than you have and since you've said the weather hasn't
been hot, there's no concern over excessive drying out too quickly on this.

Get whatever you choose for the patching/surfacing and go ahead while
it's green so it'll bond better than if you wait a month...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:13:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
: On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:46:51 -0500, dpb wrote:
:
: wrote:
: :...
[...]

I'm doing it today. It's going to rain some tonight. I figure that's OK
if I get this done ~10 hours earlier. I could easily tarp, otherwise.
Should I tarp? Thanks.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote

an, I was hunting up thre quickcrete site and noted the forms for making
:brick-look. Seemed easy. Is that what you are doing? I may do it here.
:The simple standard brick look seems right for this project.

I'll try to describe what I did. Just next to my house there's a small
rectangular patch of ground with plants. It's about 3.5 feet by 12 feet.
On one long side is the side of the house, red brick. On the other 3
sides is a concrete surround, raised about 4 inches above the concrete
patio. For some reason, one of the shorts sides was missing, and a very
short portion of the long side. I put in the missing concrete today.

Ok thanks! Not the same project we need but interesting thread to me! Kind
of the 'learn something new each day'.

I am wondering if those quickcrete molds (see, about 2x2) work well. They
let you use quickcrete to make a sort of faux brick or stone walkway. I
need something all along the ground level sunroom addition we made, or the
mud from rain drops splatters the screens and glass. I was thinking in our
case, a double wide set (about 4ft out) would meet our needs. The other
idea was a 3ft or so suround of ground level trex decking but we havent the
money for that just now.

I liked the look best of the simple 'brick' mold where you add their
colorant to make it terra cotta. I am lucky as they have a store near me.

Now, to see (possibly in a separate post so as to not mess up yours) if any
have any experience with this sort of need, and what they found.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 20:07:28 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

:"Dan Musicant" wrote
:
[...]
My back yard has some faux brick concrete work.

A tip or two: I used my wheelbarrow, a nice big 6 cubic footer. Use a
garden hoe to mix, mix, mix the Quikcrete (or any other concrete
mixture, even one you make yourself from Portland cement, sand and
aggregate) with the water. I have 3 hoes, and one was perfect. The
corners are rounded, so it doesn't scratch up my wheelbarrow. I cleaned
the thing out afterward. I don't want my wheelbarrow looking like the
one the plumbers used when they did my sewer lines!

My little project here came out pretty well. The portion I did actually
looks a lot better than the stuff it was completing, which wasn't too
sharp.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

:Ok thanks! Not the same project we need but interesting thread to me!
Kind
f the 'learn something new each day'.

My back yard has some faux brick concrete work.

Good! That seems the cheapest easiest way to go for us. Thats a high
concern as we've had $25,000 in repairs since since return (would be closer
to $50,000 had we not been handy folks able to do much of it ourselves).
Just bad luck of the draw with tenants but at least they kept us with enough
from rent that we still own a house.

A tip or two: I used my wheelbarrow, a nice big 6 cubic footer. Use a
garden hoe to mix, mix, mix the Quikcrete (or any other concrete
mixture, even one you make yourself from Portland cement, sand and
aggregate) with the water. I have 3 hoes, and one was perfect. The
corners are rounded, so it doesn't scratch up my wheelbarrow. I cleaned
the thing out afterward. I don't want my wheelbarrow looking like the
one the plumbers used when they did my sewer lines!

Grin, good point. I have a cat liter bucket I was going to try to use. One
of those tidy-cat plastic things but it may be hard to mix properly in that.
My only wheelbarrow is plastic and cracked at the bottom. My own fault
there, when stacking the 2 cords of wood, I dropped some pieces from too far
up and it caused that. Still works for all other needs.

Thinking... I have lots of construction grade (thick mill) plastic in big
pieces I can use to line that wheelbarrow. If a little seeps though, it
wont be a problem. Alternative is a bonus left from the renters, a large
cat litter pan we found tucked in the rafters in the garage last week
(grin). Seems that would work too.

My little project here came out pretty well. The portion I did actually
looks a lot better than the stuff it was completing, which wasn't too
sharp.

Hehehe sometimes, thats the way of it. I've not done *much* work with
cement but I have done small odd jobs over the years with little batches.
Most 'recent' (if you can call 2000 'recent') before this was a nearby
neighbor who's retired (limited fixed income), and crumbled back steps.
Quite elderly with arthritis in the hips so this was both dangerous for him,
and beyond his ability to fix. Other than replacing his steps with pre-made
'blocks' and just mortaring them in with a little cement we mixed up, all my
other projects have had others do the 'cement detail' while I sorta watched
if not doing some other task.

(OT but a sideline of mine from 1989-2001 was about 10 hours a month helping
people with disabilities, make adaptions they needed but couldnt pay for.
Mostly I built or adapted computers for the blind with screen reader
software but i also did a fair amount of making ramps and things like that
as part of a group. Many fine memories of working with and for people but
(grin) not much personal cement work on my own part. Oh and yes, one of the
members was a proper certified inspector and would run the permits for us if
the particular job in his estimation required one. Like many things, you do
what you can).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 19:23:06 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

:"Dan Musicant" wrote
: "cshenk" wrote:
:
: :Ok thanks! Not the same project we need but interesting thread to me!
: Kind
: f the 'learn something new each day'.
:
: My back yard has some faux brick concrete work.
:
:Good! That seems the cheapest easiest way to go for us. Thats a high
:concern as we've had $25,000 in repairs since since return (would be closer
:to $50,000 had we not been handy folks able to do much of it ourselves).
:Just bad luck of the draw with tenants but at least they kept us with enough
:from rent that we still own a house.

I used to rent this house along with other renters. After a while I was
the senior guy and handled the interactions with the property managers.
Our rent was cheap compared to the rest of the town because the house is
old (just shy of 100 years), and not really kept up. Now that I've
bought the house it's my hurculean task to get the house into shape to
sell. It wouldn't be so tough if I had the money, but even if I did have
the money to make this place ship shape, experienced GC's tell me I
wouldn't get my money out, so I'm trying to be judicious in what I do.
This house isn't the best for me to stay in, so I'm looking to sell.
:
: A tip or two: I used my wheelbarrow, a nice big 6 cubic footer. Use a
: garden hoe to mix, mix, mix the Quikcrete (or any other concrete
: mixture, even one you make yourself from Portland cement, sand and
: aggregate) with the water. I have 3 hoes, and one was perfect. The
: corners are rounded, so it doesn't scratch up my wheelbarrow. I cleaned
: the thing out afterward. I don't want my wheelbarrow looking like the
: one the plumbers used when they did my sewer lines!
:
:Grin, good point. I have a cat liter bucket I was going to try to use. One
f those tidy-cat plastic things but it may be hard to mix properly in that.
:My only wheelbarrow is plastic and cracked at the bottom. My own fault
:there, when stacking the 2 cords of wood, I dropped some pieces from too far
:up and it caused that. Still works for all other needs.

If you can swing it it might be a good investment to get a good steel
wheelbarrow. I got mine on sale for $30 back around 2002. Might cost you
almost twice that nowadays, but if on sale, probably cheaper. I use mine
very frequently, and it was way worth the investment. Usually I haul
yard waste, sometimes stone and brick, and just now, mixing and moving
concrete.
:
:Thinking... I have lots of construction grade (thick mill) plastic in big
ieces I can use to line that wheelbarrow. If a little seeps though, it
:wont be a problem. Alternative is a bonus left from the renters, a large
:cat litter pan we found tucked in the rafters in the garage last week
grin). Seems that would work too.

I have plastic sheeting too, but I wouldn't try to use it for concrete
work. Just too messy, too much of a problem to mix, remix, adjust
water/mix content to get the proper balance, remix, etc.
:
: My little project here came out pretty well. The portion I did actually
: looks a lot better than the stuff it was completing, which wasn't too
: sharp.
:
:Hehehe sometimes, thats the way of it. I've not done *much* work with
:cement but I have done small odd jobs over the years with little batches.
:Most 'recent' (if you can call 2000 'recent') before this was a nearby
:neighbor who's retired (limited fixed income), and crumbled back steps.
:Quite elderly with arthritis in the hips so this was both dangerous for him,
:and beyond his ability to fix. Other than replacing his steps with pre-made
:'blocks' and just mortaring them in with a little cement we mixed up, all my
ther projects have had others do the 'cement detail' while I sorta watched
:if not doing some other task.

Concrete work isn't all that hard, but I started late in the afternoon
(after 3 PM), had never done any concrete work before and wasn't at all
sure I was going to get done before darkness (~7 PMish), and so I felt
rushed. Besides, I had no realistic idea how much time I had to work
with the mixture before it would start going off. Also, I was nervous
about mixing two different batches, working in the first before mixing
the second and worried that this strategy wasn't wise. All in all it
made me work more feverishly than I normally would and I sure felt the
strain by the end as I worked and worked to smooth the cement, which was
all the tougher becuase I mixed much to dry. So, my back was really
hurting by the time I was done. I just wanted to do the work last
Wednesday, made up my mind to do so and did. It came out OK, all in all.
Not perfect, but OK for this.
:
OT but a sideline of mine from 1989-2001 was about 10 hours a month helping
eople with disabilities, make adaptions they needed but couldnt pay for.
:Mostly I built or adapted computers for the blind with screen reader
:software but i also did a fair amount of making ramps and things like that
:as part of a group. Many fine memories of working with and for people but
grin) not much personal cement work on my own part. Oh and yes, one of the
:members was a proper certified inspector and would run the permits for us if
:the particular job in his estimation required one. Like many things, you do
:what you can).

There are programs like that around here. I could probably even get them
to help me, but I haven't contacted them. I've been a DIY guy for years
and years and tend to just dig in and do things myself. It's actually
pretty amazing some of the projects I've managed to do on my own.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

:Good! That seems the cheapest easiest way to go for us. Thats a high
:concern as we've had $25,000 in repairs since since return (would be
closer

I used to rent this house along with other renters. After a while I was
the senior guy and handled the interactions with the property managers.
Our rent was cheap compared to the rest of the town because the house is
old (just shy of 100 years), and not really kept up. Now that I've
bought the house it's my hurculean task to get the house into shape to
sell. It wouldn't be so tough if I had the money, but even if I did have
the money to make this place ship shape, experienced GC's tell me I
wouldn't get my money out, so I'm trying to be judicious in what I do.
This house isn't the best for me to stay in, so I'm looking to sell.

Understood. Perhaps you might be able to rent it out? Then again you
probably have too much of your cash tied up in it to really do that.

If you can swing it it might be a good investment to get a good steel
wheelbarrow. I got mine on sale for $30 back around 2002. Might cost you
almost twice that nowadays, but if on sale, probably cheaper. I use mine

Naw, not enough things need it that the old plastic one can't handle.
Cement mixing is about the only thing it's no good for now. Looks like the
deep cat liter pan would turn the trick well enough. It's one of those
overtall ones.

Wednesday, made up my mind to do so and did. It came out OK, all in all.
Not perfect, but OK for this.

Hey, that works fine!

[...]

Habitat for Humanity. Yes, might be able to get some help there!

Mom's way to make money raising us 3 kids (divorced) was what is today
called 'house flipping'. She didnt go too crazy moving us around, but we'd
often move to another part of the same school district to another house etc.

As a result, I'm more handy than most in some projects. What I know nothing
about, I just read up on here, but when I can help, I give detailed as I can
reports. Some things are just too hard to describe (how to set in a window,
how to rebuild a kitchen cabinet) but I do lots of stuff or have, before the
back problems kicked in.

Projects I have done: wallpapering (including the insides of round cornered
medicine cabinets which is a pesky thing but tells a seller *quality* right
away is in all the details of the house), painting (especially detail work),
wood staining, cabinet building or rebuilding, antiquing, chair railing,
faux wainscot (chair rail with a box framed below to look like wood panels
and whole bottom in a contrasting paint), refinished wood floors, built
exterior decks, laid floor tile, built non-load bearing walls to frame out
rooms in a (once we were done) 'finished basement', installed or replaced
toilets (traps put in by by plummer as well as some of the water leads if
new ones being added), built in floor to ceiling shelving, helped hang
doors, upholstery, rescreened just about anything or added screening where
there was none to many a porch, installed screen doors, and probably at
least 50 other things that dont come to mind just now.

Generally if it was made of wood or paper or needed fine painting, it was my
job (grin). It never even occured to me when I became an adult, that I
could have applied for jobs using those skills. Then again, it was kinda
hard back then for women to get work doing such. Times though have changed.
I still get a snicker about how Mom would :schmooze: the guys at the
hardware stores until they caught on that she wasnt dumb at all and start
asking her for advice on stuff!

One truely classic memory. Fellow who'd been house hunting had come to see
one we were selling but he didnt have enough money for it. He wanted to put
in the same sort of faux chair rail and we met him quizzing the store fellow
who was frustrated as he wasnt sure about the details. Then he saw me.
Eyes lit up and he said, 'so simple, even a child can do it'. I laughed as
he knew those boxes were mine (Mom was never bashful about showing off what
parts were done by which kid). I took him to show the right wood and they
let me have enough to frame out one box so I measured and cut one then brad
nailed it to some broken drywall. Took about 20 mins to make a perfect one
and had a small sorta 'crowd' watching this 13YO kid show how to do it. I
even showed him how to cut the inner corners of a chair rail spot where the
corners meet, then how to do one where the corner juts out (same skill as
baseboards, just shows more to the eye so gotta be neater).

And here at my home? My husband put up the ceiling molding. I didn't have
the heart to tell him he put it up, upside down (grin). I turned it into a
feature with another bit of trim! So much more peaceful that way!