tom patton

Default breaking 6 inch concrete pad need a concrete breaker-follow up

Thanks for the many good tips.
Hired a self powered concrete breaker found using the Stihl saw did not
speed the job up but good for getting a straight edge.
The first 4 square feet took two hours most of that trying to remove a very
heavy breaker impaled right through the concrete-luckily it was not
reinforced.
Speeded up tremendously after learning to take little bites at a time and
broke out 8 foot by 4 foot section in 6 hours with tea breaks.
Concrete breaker hire was £42 for a day or £100 for a week.Just got it for
the week as I have a 450mm inspection pit to insert in the pad and a drain
to break out.

tom patton wrote:
Thanks for the many good tips.
Hired a self powered concrete breaker found using the Stihl saw did

not
speed the job up but good for getting a straight edge.
The first 4 square feet took two hours most of that trying to remove

a very
heavy breaker impaled right through the concrete-luckily it was not
reinforced.
Speeded up tremendously after learning to take little bites at a time

and
broke out 8 foot by 4 foot section in 6 hours with tea breaks.
Concrete breaker hire was =A342 for a day or =A3100 for a week.Just got

it for
the week as I have a 450mm inspection pit to insert in the pad and a

drain
to break out.

sounds enough to make you want to use dynamite.

NT

tom patton

I now realise why the guy using the concrete breaker is 6 foot 2 and has a
large beer belly its thirsty work.
I taped the garden hose to the breaker to trickle water on the pad worked a
treat.
I had a chisel and pointed breaking tools but suffered brain fade.
These breakers are hard to start when cold if you are a weak 58 year old--I
am told they are all hard to start- mine was an Atlas Copco.
My son could start it no problem.

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "tom
patton" says...
Thanks for the many good tips.
Hired a self powered concrete breaker found using the Stihl saw did not
speed the job up but good for getting a straight edge.
The first 4 square feet took two hours most of that trying to remove a

very
heavy breaker impaled right through the concrete-luckily it was not
reinforced.

That's when you're glad you have a spare steel - just leave the stuck
one in its hole and dig it out with the other one.

John Rumm

tom patton wrote:

I now realise why the guy using the concrete breaker is 6 foot 2 and has a
large beer belly its thirsty work.

That sounds like a good enough excuse... make mine a large one!

am told they are all hard to start- mine was an Atlas Copco.
My son could start it no problem.

Last one I hired with a separate hydraulic power plant was actually dead
easy to start - it was a Honda engine though which are usually pretty good.

Well done on the demolition job anyway - bet it was satisfying when
complete.

--
Cheers,

John.

tom patton

Its certainly saved a small fortune the estimate for------
1 removing 8 cubes soil and tipping it.
2 setting reinforcing and supplying 1.5 cubes c35 concrete.
3 revisiting site and supplying blinding poly and 500mm solum.
£3200 +VAT.
My costs.
2 8 cube skips £180.
hire of breaker 7 days £100
hire of rotavator £40
steel reinforcing £15
2 wheelbarrows-for concrete £40
1.5 cubes concrete £200
solum .5 cube concrete £80
Total £655.
Just about the VAT on the estimate.
In future I will use a mini digger even though a neighbour rolled his
working on a slope with the blade in the wrong place.
The recovery provided excellent entertainment.