Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] man@privacy.net[_2_] is offline

Default Concrete - Using Quickcrete, how much to mix?

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 03:46:18 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:

:Quikcrete is fast-setting, hence the name. You only have about 15
:minutes to mix it, pour it, and work it, maybe a little longer if you
:mix it wet. Sakcrete is the regular stuff, with the long open time.

I took a lot longer than that. It wasn't too warm. Maybe 72-70, and the
sun was obscured by clouds. It was damn hard to smooth the surface
though, but I resisted the temptation to add water. I did spray one area
a tiny bit with water.
:
:I like the consistency to be about like peanut butter.

Must be the chunkiest damn peanut butter ever. To me it seemed like
almost all rocks.
:
: To cure, I think I'm supposed to keep it damp. How important is that?
: It's supposed to rain here starting in a couple of days for maybe 1/2
: a day.
:
on't worry about it. It's already cured. You used Quikcrete, remember?
:You can spray it lightly with the hose a couple of times per day if you
:want, and you can put some old tote sacks over it to keep it moist
:longer. The "keep it moist" recommendation is for big jobs, like a
:slab, where you worry about cracks.

Next time I'll look for slower stuff. I was in no hurry. It seems set OK
now. The sides are very rough, though. Since they were against the forms
I had no chance to smooth them with the trowel. I did try to force the
mix down very will with a narrow tamping tool, but even so, the sides
are just stones exposed. Only the top is smooth.

Here are some pictures:

Rough sides:
http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user... ughsides.jpg

Is there something I can do to fill in the sides? I figure it will hold
up, it just looks lousy.

Forms:
http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user...le=Fo rms.jpg

Net effect: