Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Harry Muscle

Default Difference between concrete sealer and concrete paint?

On another thread I've been asking about what to do with my concrete
crawlspace floor in order to make it nicer and less prone to dust, etc.
(I'm gonna be storing stuff down there, and doing a couple other
things, etc.). Originally I thought of painting it, but didn't want to
go thru the etching process if possible. A handful of people
recommended sealing the floor instead of painting it. Some of the
sealer instructions I looked at don't even mention anything about
etching, just a good cleaning (some others say it might help). All the
paints I've looked at definitely recommend etching. So the sealer is
looking like the better option for me. However, I'm curious, what
exactly is the difference between a concrete sealer and concrete paint?
I would have thought that a sealer is just clear paint, but I think
I'm wrong since it seems like the sealer requires less preparation work
than paint. If you can shed any light on this that would be great.

Also if you can recommend a good sealer to use that's easily found (ie:
available at Home Depot or similar places) that would be great. Btw,
the one that looks the best to me right now is a Stone Mason product
(http://www.usehickson.com/StoneMason...lerMatte.shtml)
.... anyone know if it's any good?

Thanks,
Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

Harry Muscle wrote:
[...]

Sealer is generally thinner so that most of it penetrates into the
concrete, as opposed to paint, which is designed to leave a thicker
coating. That's why sealers don't peel, while paint can. For your
crawlspace, where there is no traffic, no need for color, etc, sealer
is definitely the way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Think of it this way. Sealer "Penetrates" the concrete and sinks in.
Paint generally sticks to the top and doesn't penetrate as far hence the
need for a better bond. I don't think sealing or painting is gonna help
your dust problem. Dust doesn't typically get generated from the ground up
(it's a gravity thing) unless disturbed. The dust is coming from above the
crawl space. An easy solution is to staple or otherwise attach cloth to
the bottom of your joists (I'm assuming this is a wood joist application).
This will catch the dust. Every few years, I'd recommend pulling the cloth
down and either replacing it or giving it a good clean. The other option
would be to do a full sheetrock install over the joists but that seems line
an awful lot for a crawlspace, particularly when you may want access to
what's between those joists sometime down the road.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

James \Cubby\ Culbertson ) said...

I don't think sealing or painting is gonna help
your dust problem. Dust doesn't typically get generated from the ground up
(it's a gravity thing) unless disturbed.

Wrong. While a majority of household dust is shedded skin cells, bare
concrete is a significant source of dust. I am not sure why this is so,
and it has little to do with traffic, so a crawlspace would be just as
prone to concrete dust as a travelled section of floor.

Seal the concrete - it makes a difference.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
bill allemann

what is an example product name of a sealer?

"Calvin Henry-Cotnam" wrote in message
om...
James \Cubby\ Culbertson ) said...

I don't think sealing or painting is gonna help
your dust problem. Dust doesn't typically get generated from the ground
up
(it's a gravity thing) unless disturbed.

Wrong. While a majority of household dust is shedded skin cells, bare
concrete is a significant source of dust. I am not sure why this is so,
and it has little to do with traffic, so a crawlspace would be just as
prone to concrete dust as a travelled section of floor.

Seal the concrete - it makes a difference.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
- Paul Martin - April 30, 2003
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

thompsons water seal, it works awesome

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
bill allemann

same stuff that's used on wood, or is there another version for concrete?
thanks, bill
wrote in message
ups.com...
thompsons water seal, it works awesome

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Calvin Henry-Cotnam" wrote in message
om...
James \Cubby\ Culbertson ) said...

Wrong. While a majority of household dust is shedded skin cells, bare
concrete is a significant source of dust. I am not sure why this is so,
and it has little to do with traffic, so a crawlspace would be just as
prone to concrete dust as a travelled section of floor.

Seal the concrete - it makes a difference.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
- Paul Martin - April 30, 2003

Interesting. I would think you would need some abrasion activity going on
to create the dust. In a crawl space that is used so little, I wouldn't
think that would occur much. Does concrete just "flake" off (for lack of
better wording) on it's own? I've seen old homes where the basements were
covered in dust coming from the floors above. The cloth on the joists
solved that problem. Of course, I don't recall what was on the floor.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Tomes

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I have a crawl space under one room and it has a cement floor. I use it to
store stuff that I access maybe a dozen times a year or so. The floor is
rough enough that I avoid going in there in short pants to save my knees. I
have zero dust problem in there; nothing is dusty at all. It does not come
up from the bottom when I shuffle around in there and it does not come down
from the top. Mid 70s construction.

Perhaps somehow identifying exactly what the dust source is would help in
determining the cure so that treating the floor when the problem is not the
floor (if that is the case) would not be wasted effort and cash. How to do
this identifying is the question that this poses. Maybe looking at it under
a microscope or subjecting it to some chemical test (like whatever dissolves
concrete only, whatever that is). Something to think about anyway.
Tomes

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

If the concrete is in good condition the most dust would come from
sweeping the surface. etching is not needed. Just a clean surface.
Paint is fine as long as you don't have a moisture problem. If you
want to spend more money you can look for a product called "modac"
which is a very thick rubbery type of coating.