Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete - Using Quickcrete, how much to mix?

This is my first crack at concrete. Small job and I figure I'll need a
bit over 1.5 cubic feet, and I'm planning to do the work this afternoon.
I've almost finished my forms and am reading the instructions in my
Reader's Digest Complete DIY book.

I read the instructions on the bag of Quickcrete (60 lb.) I bought, and
it says to use 4 quarts of water with it, maximum 5 quarts. There's no
mention of how many cubic feet (or inches, I figure a cubic foot is 1725
cubic inches) I can expect to get out of a 60 lb. bag. I don't want to
mix much more than I'll need, and figure a sure don't want to mix less.
How do I determine how much to mix?

To extend the mix, I figure to put in some crushed concrete or rocks I
have. I have tons of that stuff around (maybe literally!), and figure
I'll crush some with a sledge hammer. Not much, just some near the
bottom of the pour.

Thanks for the help!

Dan