Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] man@privacy.net[_2_] is offline

Default Concrete - Using Quickcrete, how much to mix?

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:46:51 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
:...
: Next time I'll look for slower stuff. I was in no hurry. It seems set OK
: now. The sides are very rough, though. Since they were against the forms
: I had no chance to smooth them with the trowel. I did try to force the
: mix down very will with a narrow tamping tool, but even so, the sides
: are just stones exposed. Only the top is smooth.
:
: Here are some pictures:
:
: Rough sides:
:...
:
:Too dry--it's got to have enough liquidity that it will flow and this
bviously didn't.
:
: Is there something I can do to fill in the sides? I figure it will hold
: up, it just looks lousy.
:...
:Now you can use another Quikrete product!
:
:Either the vinyl patching concrete or the surface repair will work. I'd
:do either right away, however, while the other is still green and damp
:for better bonding.
:
:I've had good success on the old barn foundation w/ some chips, etc.,
:that weren't very deep w/ it holding using the vinyl patch.
:
:The stucco overcoat isn't bad idea other then doing whole thing rather
:than patching the new section only...of course, that has the advantage
f it then does all have same finish.

Well, this was a good lesson in how to and how not to. I'll go down to
that hardware emporium (OSH) and I'm sure they'll have those products.

The Quikcrete bags said to start with 2 qt water and add more a little
at a time and in no circumstances use more than 3.5 qt. I started with a
gallon jug, starting with 2 qt and used about 2.5-2.75 qt all in all,
sort of in between their min-max values.

I suppose since it was mixed dry, proper curing is even more important.
I've been spraying a few times a day with a mister.

Dan