Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Concrete - Using Quickcrete, how much to mix?

wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:46:51 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
:...
: Next time I'll look for slower stuff. ...

I intended to comment on this before -- the earlier comment that "all"
Quikrete products are fast-setting is simply not so--"Quikrete" is a
registered trademark for the Quikrete companies' products. Everything
is branded w/ the trademark. They do have quick-setting products, but
they (iirc) come in red bags and are easily identified.

Well, this was a good lesson in how to and how not to. I'll go down to
that hardware emporium (OSH) and I'm sure they'll have those products.

The Quikcrete bags said to start with 2 qt water and add more a little
at a time and in no circumstances use more than 3.5 qt. I started with a
gallon jug, starting with 2 qt and used about 2.5-2.75 qt all in all,
sort of in between their min-max values.

I suppose since it was mixed dry, proper curing is even more important.
I've been spraying a few times a day with a mister.

I judge based on mixing and how stiff I want the mixture for a given
purpose--a little practice and you'll learn. It shouldn't be
exceedingly runny, of course, but as you learned it does need to be able
to flow sufficiently to fill voids.

No larger a pour than you have and since you've said the weather hasn't
been hot, there's no concern over excessive drying out too quickly on this.

Get whatever you choose for the patching/surfacing and go ahead while
it's green so it'll bond better than if you wait a month...