Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage floor options

I'm considering epoxy and tile, but can't decide. I've seen some
really nice epoxy jobs with clearcoat on top (I'll be doing this work
myself by the way, and don't mind doing it "right".) I've also seen
some nice tile jobs. I've seen some tile for $8 and up per sq ft, but
also seen some that I could live with for less than $2/sq ft. I have
a 500 sq ft garage, so that brings it in at around $800. I could also
take that with me if I move. The epoxy job would be a little less
expensive, but more options with color. The glossy finish really
looks nice in photos. The tile might be easier on the feet if
spending much time out there, which I will probably do since I'll
build workbench area and mini-shop for my projects. Of course I could
just put a rubberized mat or something near the workbench area.

Can anyone share some opinions? The amount of time/effort really
isn't that big a deal to me since I enjoy doing these things and would
put in the extra effort if the result is really what I wanted. Just a
question of which I would be happier with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 1:50*pm, wrote:
[...]

Have you considered a rubber floor? I epoxyed mine a long time
ago and I am happy with it, If I had to do it over, I think I would
consider a rubber floor. More expensive, but less slip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 12:50*pm, wrote:
[...]

Paints need extensive prep on old greasy floors, I used about 50$ in
soaps and a floor buffer-scrubber then acid washed it twice, but my HC
concrete oil stain never pealed. Tile is extensive also, a commercial
job I saw they gouged the floor with a Diamond floor gouger so the
thinset adhered. Run a car over tile where the bond is not 100% and it
will fail eventualy. So either way you have hundreds to maybe several
1000$ in prep to make it last. I figure my 2 car garage prep would
cost today 1000$, I had my paint crew do it, the grease oil was from
cars leaking oil for 70 years, it was a mess.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 28, 12:50*pm, wrote:
[...]

Don't even consider anything other than the epoxy finish of your
choice. You can then top it with mats or other amenities. The salient
thing about epoxy is that it is actually good for the concrete. Even
after years of foot traffic have worn it through, an epoxy finish
continues to bond the underlying cement quite well. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I've seen some tile for $8 and up per sq ft,

Can anyone share some opinions?

Yes, my opinion is that if you spend that kind of money on a garage floor
you're nuts.

Epoxy finish over concrete and rubber work mats. I have plain concrete and
mats. It's a garage; I work there but I don't live there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 15:06:27 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I've seen some tile for $8 and up per sq ft,

Can anyone share some opinions?

Yes, my opinion is that if you spend that kind of money on a garage floor
you're nuts.

My point was (that you cut) was that you can get this for less than
$2/sq ft, and I'm not intending on spending more than that.

Epoxy finish over concrete and rubber work mats. I have plain concrete and
mats. It's a garage; I work there but I don't live there.

I should have asked for opinions from people who have actually
finished their garage floor. It's not a question of "if" I do it,
it's just a question of "what" do I do it with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:22:05 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

Don't even consider anything other than the epoxy finish of your
choice. You can then top it with mats or other amenities. The salient
thing about epoxy is that it is actually good for the concrete. Even
after years of foot traffic have worn it through, an epoxy finish
continues to bond the underlying cement quite well. HTH

Don't even consider tile? Because it's bad for the concrete? Or
because epoxy extends the life of the concrete itself so it's
inherently better? I'm a little confused about the strength of your
statement there....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I should have asked for opinions from people who have actually
finished their garage floor. It's not a question of "if" I do it,
it's just a question of "what" do I do it with.

If you asked for opinions.. This is not a popularity contest, we don't give
or get prizes. You asked for something and got exactly that. You should
never fear honesty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Can anyone share some opinions? The amount of time/effort really
isn't that big a deal to me since I enjoy doing these things and would
put in the extra effort if the result is really what I wanted. Just a
question of which I would be happier with.

I think the epoxy will last better and look better. If you have any oil
stains on the floor, you'd want to go a fairly dark color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:22:01 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:
You should
never fear honesty.

Perhaps you should check out the Philosophy forums instead.... just my
opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:47:08 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

I think the epoxy will last better and look better. If you have any oil
stains on the floor, you'd want to go a fairly dark color.

Surely oil stains would be completely removed and the floor etched if
needed. Are you saying epoxy is translucent?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Why not just leave it alone? It's just a garage floor, after all....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reggie Dunlop" slap@shot wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I SO don't get why people freak out about a garage floor or a spot of
grease on the driveway. It's to park CARS on for Jeebus' sake.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 28, 2:55*pm, wrote:

snip

because epoxy extends the life of the concrete itself so it's
inherently better? *I'm a little confused about the strength of your
statement there....

Statement based on experience with epoxy paint put down on my
commercial auto repair shop floor in 1974 (by me and with Sears 2 part
of that era). Floors under the lifts held up remarkably well to the
normal abuse of a work environment. Some unpainted areas did not fare
so well. At present the worn off areas need recoating for
appearances.
Further, there are commercial firms doing epoxy injection to seal
concrete cracks, so we know that the materials have a high level of
compatibility. Of course, in the industrial world there are long time
successful companies offering concrete improvement treatments, but
these are a bit much for an individual. YMMV

Joe

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some people take pride in what their house and property looks like.

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:54:19 -0400, "h"
wrote:

Why not just leave it alone? It's just a garage floor, after all....
Yeah, I SO don't get why people freak out about a garage floor or a spot of
grease on the driveway. It's to park CARS on for Jeebus' sake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I think the epoxy will last better and look better. If you have any oil
stains on the floor, you'd want to go a fairly dark color.

Surely oil stains would be completely removed and the floor etched if
needed. Are you saying epoxy is translucent?

I was reading one of the other folks posts, who had problems getting it up.
Really old ground in oil from decades of cars.

Yes, I assume you'd get as much off as possible and then use a dark color
incase some remainder bleeds through. I have a feeling tile wont stick
right if you plan to still use it as a garage.

Before we bought this house, we looked at several. One had a refinished
garage that they'd put terra cotta tile down for a floor. Took 4 years for
the oil to leach up, and man that was nasty looking. They covered it of
course with a rug and over time, even that would get some of the stain I
think. I suspect they didnt try to clean it down very well before the tile
job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reggie Dunlop wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Well, I would never spend money for it, but I'm a cheap SOB, so your
(and OP's)mileage may vary. But having said that, I must admit a
well-done epoxy floor sure is pretty, and easier to keep clean. From
reports on here, and from people in the real world, I get the impression
that the success rate on old concrete is mixed at best. How clean is
clean enough? If I was a rich man, and building a dream garage, I might
be willing to let it sit empty a month for the new concrete to cure
enough, and put it down on a virgin surface.

I do see in some recycled storefronts where they stripped the old
tile, and applied some sort of clear epoxy, or perhaps urethane, to
create a no-upkeep surface. But that is for human and handcart traffic,
not hot tires and oil drips- I have no idea how well it would work in a
garage.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I had a contractor apply an epoxy finish to my garage concrete floor about
three years ago. It is easy to clean and still looks new. I told him I was
concerned about the floor being slippery when wet, so it added a small
amount of non-slip additive (sand, or very similar) to give it some texture.
He applied one coat and had me check to see if it was the texture I wanted.
It was -- not enough texture to make it difficult to clean (in fact, it
looks smooth and shiny), but enough so that I could feel the non-slip
properties when wet. So, he used the same proportions when he applied the
second coat. I don't know what proportions he used, but I think that is
something you should consider. He used ArmorSeal, and I selected haze gray
color. He did prep work first to clean the floor and remove oil stains.

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You should
never fear honesty.

Perhaps you should check out the Philosophy forums instead.... just my
opinion.

Nah, while I can get into a good philosophical discussion, I'd rather deal
with every day reality. More beneficial to the community.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 1:22*pm, Joe wrote:
On Sep 28, 12:50*pm, wrote:

[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

paint peels, stain doesnt nor does tile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 10:50*am, wrote:
[...]

here's the mfr's info

http://www.rustoleum.com/documents/t...poxygarage.pdf

I have never used the particular Rustoleum product you are
considering.

I have used Rustoleum 9100 Series DTM Industrial Mastic for concrete
floors with great success. Garages, shop & laboratory floors.

You can search this group for more info on the product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can anyone share some opinions? The amount of time/effort really
isn't that big a deal to me since I enjoy doing these things and would
put in the extra effort if the result is really what I wanted. Just a
question of which I would be happier with.

Go for the tile. It's more durable and will look better in the long
run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

From reports on here, and from people in the real world, I get the impression
that the success rate on old concrete is mixed at best.

As with any coating, 90% of the effort is in the prep. If you have a seriously
oil stained floor, you need to do some serious cleaning, which may of may not
include shot blasting the concrete.

At a minimum, you need to acid etch, neutralize and TSP it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 12:50*pm, wrote:
[...]

Epoxy, due to the fact that it will stop the hydrostatic pressue in
the slab, rather than having condensation form under a rubber mat on
concrete. Tile IMO is overkill and too costly, especially after the
first time your kid (or you) spills a can of paint on the floor. You
can sift sand onto the wet epoxy for slip control as you paint with a
flour sifter, or get/make sanded epoxy. In our area some of the lawn
sprinkler companies have added garage floor coating services as a way
to fill their off-season work, they look pretty good with acid prep,
etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You should
never fear honesty.

Perhaps you should check out the Philosophy forums instead.... just my
opinion.

Well, I'd iterate the respondent's opinion -- what's the point of
throwing money on a garage floor?

What's the point of throwing money on a TV, a car, a kitchen, or any
other thing in the world? Because it's desired, that's why. I came
here asking for opinions on the best floor for my garage becuase it's
what I desire. I didn't come asking for opinions on whether or not I
should desire it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:16:14 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Before we bought this house, we looked at several. One had a refinished
garage that they'd put terra cotta tile down for a floor. Took 4 years for
the oil to leach up, and man that was nasty looking. They covered it of
course with a rug and over time, even that would get some of the stain I
think. I suspect they didnt try to clean it down very well before the tile
job.

Oh, I see what you mean. Interesting.