Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Garage floor options

On Sep 28, 12:50*pm, wrote:
I'm considering epoxy and tile, but can't decide. *I've seen some
really nice epoxy jobs with clearcoat on top (I'll be doing this work
myself by the way, and don't mind doing it "right".) *I've also seen
some nice tile jobs. *I've seen some tile for $8 and up per sq ft, but
also seen some that I could live with for less than $2/sq ft. *I have
a 500 sq ft garage, so that brings it in at around $800. *I could also
take that with me if I move. *The epoxy job would be a little less
expensive, but more options with color. *The glossy finish really
looks nice in photos. *The tile might be easier on the feet if
spending much time out there, which I will probably do since I'll
build workbench area and mini-shop for my projects. *Of course I could
just put a rubberized mat or something near the workbench area.

Can anyone share some opinions? *The amount of time/effort really
isn't that big a deal to me since I enjoy doing these things and would
put in the extra effort if the result is really what I wanted. *Just a
question of which I would be happier with.

Paints need extensive prep on old greasy floors, I used about 50$ in
soaps and a floor buffer-scrubber then acid washed it twice, but my HC
concrete oil stain never pealed. Tile is extensive also, a commercial
job I saw they gouged the floor with a Diamond floor gouger so the
thinset adhered. Run a car over tile where the bond is not 100% and it
will fail eventualy. So either way you have hundreds to maybe several
1000$ in prep to make it last. I figure my 2 car garage prep would
cost today 1000$, I had my paint crew do it, the grease oil was from
cars leaking oil for 70 years, it was a mess.