Rembrandt Kuipers

Default Insulation options for a suspended timber floor on the first floor.

Hi, I have a question about installing insulation between floor joists.

I have the floorboards up in a 3m by 3m first floor room with a
suspended timber floor. While I have the opportunity, what are the
recommended options for installing some insulation?

I have also considered installing underfloor heating, but I suspect that
this will make the project take longer and be quite expensive.

Thanks,
Rem
Andy

"Rembrandt Kuipers" wrote in message
Hi, I have a question about installing insulation between floor joists.

I have the floorboards up in a 3m by 3m first floor room with a suspended
timber floor. While I have the opportunity, what are the recommended
options for installing some insulation?

I have also considered installing underfloor heating, but I suspect that
this will make the project take longer and be quite expensive.

Thanks,
Rem

Is it worth it? Any heat penetrating through the floor from below will
take the chill off that room. It's when the heat escapes to the outside that
you want
to worry! I suppose it may just be worth it if the room is directly over the
living room
and you are at home all day, so keep the living room toasty.

I'd like to hear from someone about a practical advantage of this type of
insulation before I'd consider it myself,

Andy.

Rembrandt Kuipers

Andy wrote:
"Rembrandt Kuipers" wrote in message
I have the floorboards up in a 3m by 3m first floor room with a suspended
timber floor. While I have the opportunity, what are the recommended
options for installing some insulation?

Is it worth it? Any heat penetrating through the floor from below will
take the chill off that room. It's when the heat escapes to the outside that
you want
to worry! I suppose it may just be worth it if the room is directly over the
living room
and you are at home all day, so keep the living room toasty.

I can't fault that on the heat side. What about sound insulation though?

Thanks,
Rem
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Rembrandt Kuipers wrote:

I can't fault that on the heat side. What about sound insulation though?

Made a massive difference to our bedrooms which are below the living rooms.

What started as a simple re-floor and the addition of 4" loft insulation
(for sound reduction) betweeen joists ended up as a full blown overhaul
with UFH installed which entailed a full re-wire as well.

with insulation, ply, cellotex, thin screed, 18mm chip, 15mm engineered
floor there is very little sound that passes from floor to bedrooms, TV
can't be heard nor can voices etc. Even the dogs can't be heard walking
across the floor anymore.

According to my brother, just having 4" of loft insulation made a huge
difference to sound reduction in his mates house.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
According to my brother, just having 4" of loft insulation made a huge
difference to sound reduction in his mates house.

Only to bats. Loft insulation is against heat loss. For sound insulation
you need a denser material.

--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article ,
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
..

What started as a simple re-floor and the addition of 4" loft insulation
(for sound reduction) betweeen joists ended up as a full blown overhaul
with UFH installed which entailed a full re-wire as well.

DIY was ever thus. :-)

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

What started as a simple re-floor and the addition of 4" loft insulation
(for sound reduction) betweeen joists ended up as a full blown overhaul
with UFH installed which entailed a full re-wire as well.

DIY was ever thus. :-)

:¬)

Indeed, perhaps because the labour is too cheap. (thoretically)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)