aaa

Default Idea for crawl INSULATION falling down

20 year old house that has insulation falling as it is coming apart in
some areas due to age of insulation in crawl space. This is not very
servere, but looks bad and will probably get worse. Scale of 1 to 10
I would say a 3. I could replace the insulation or just add pushing
the old up into the void, use more of those wire struts, but thought
of a maybe better idea.
Insulation is really not in that bad of shape. Sometimes wires fall
out and allow insulation to fall too.
What if I bought some of this:
http://www.aeromfg.com.au/styrofanfold.html
"Plastic / Plastic
Dow High Performance Underlayment P/P is a water resistant Blue
extruded foam insulation sheet which is heat bonded between strong
plastic film facers and pin-perforated.
Available in 6 mm (1/4") thickness. (9.5 mm to order) and supplied as
a fanfold pack 15.25m (50') x 1.22m (4'). Folded at 0.61m (2') centres
for easy handling."

If I cut it into 4 foot lengths, I could fit it between the joists.
Result would be a neater appearance, no falling insulation ever, and a
smooth surface. This would be a cheaper approach than using those
large pink foamboards. Anybody seen this done ???
I have seen insulation made at one time that had a webbing around it
that held the insulation together and prevented sagging over time. I
have not seen it at the hardware stores in a long time.

Comments, thoughts ???

Art

I saw a guy use netting to put up crawl space insulation. Much better than
wires because you avoid the compression. DOn't know where he got the
netting though. And I suppose if you had some wiring or plumbing to do you
might have to take some down.

"aaa" wrote in message
[...]

Michael Baugh

I saw that someone had used tobacco bed cover that
he'd gotten from Southern States.
Another had driven some roofing nails in the floor joists, ran
baling twine back and forth to form a grid.
You lose about 5% of your heat through the floor. Don't be
heroic about it.

ink.net...

"aaa" wrote in message
[...]

aaa

Thanks for the replys.
This is more of a tidying up project down there rather than an
efficiency improvement project.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:31:09 -0400, "Michael Baugh"
wrote:

I saw that someone had used tobacco bed cover that
he'd gotten from Southern States.
Another had driven some roofing nails in the floor joists, ran
baling twine back and forth to form a grid.
You lose about 5% of your heat through the floor. Don't be
heroic about it.

link.net...

"aaa" wrote in message
[...]

aaa

Good point.
Now I'm back to square one.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:25:44 -0400, "New & Improved - N/F John"
wrote:

I would avoid the foam since it is flamable. I don't think you would ever
have a fire under there but foam is not suppose to be visible.

.. .

wrote:

I saw that someone had used tobacco bed cover that
he'd gotten from Southern States.
Another had driven some roofing nails in the floor joists, ran
baling twine back and forth to form a grid.
You lose about 5% of your heat through the floor. Don't be
heroic about it.

link.net...

"aaa" wrote in message
[...]

Art

Yep and I saw a new recommendation a few months ago at some government site
they you use that high density sheathing foam to hold up the fiiberglass
insualtion and seal it off from moisture in the crawl space.

wrote:

I would avoid the foam since it is flamable. I don't think you would

ever
have a fire under there but foam is not suppose to be visible.

. ..

wrote:

I saw that someone had used tobacco bed cover that
he'd gotten from Southern States.
Another had driven some roofing nails in the floor joists, ran
baling twine back and forth to form a grid.
You lose about 5% of your heat through the floor. Don't be
heroic about it.

link.net...

"aaa" wrote in message
[...]

bill

Someone suggested chicken wire, which would work fine. Keep in mind that
some of other materials could create a vapor barrier on the wrong side of
the
insulation. Except for the cost, Tyvek would OK and reduce air
infiltration.
Doubtful, though, that there is enough energy loss to justify the $$.
Bill

"aaa" wrote in message
[...]

Art

The site I saw about crawl space reversed the concept of vented crawl
spaces. In most climates, they figured out, there was no point in having
moist outside warm air go under your cool crawlspace and leave condensate.
They were now recommending foam insulation on the walls and a support layer
to hold up fiberglass insulation instead of using wires.

"aaa" wrote in message
[...]

aaa

What would be the problems encountered it I used foil faced foam ?
I now would have 2 vapor barriers.
One with the craft faced insulation facing the subfloor, and the other
being foil on the foam facing the earth of the crawl.
Has it ever been done ?
I cannot believe this has not been addressed by some major
manufacturer.

Someone I talked with suggested weed barrier.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:08:56 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

The site I saw about crawl space reversed the concept of vented crawl
spaces. In most climates, they figured out, there was no point in having
moist outside warm air go under your cool crawlspace and leave condensate.
They were now recommending foam insulation on the walls and a support layer
to hold up fiberglass insulation instead of using wires.

m...