Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default insulating steel garage door - two options

Went to the local home improvement store to investigate possible
approaches to insulate my steel garage door. One option is a sort of
buble wrap stuff with foil on both sides, that's supposed to be a very
good reflective barrier. The other option is poly-foam of varying
thickness.

I live in southwest ohio, where dec-feb have mostly sub-freezing days,
and the coldest days can get down to single digits or below zero... in
summer, weeks of 90s are normal.

My garage door is souther facing.

My question is this: foil, foam, or some combination of the two? And,
if you recommend a combination, which one against the steel door, which
exposed to the open space of the garage?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Later wrote in message

Just curious, why do you want to do this?

Probably the same reason many of us have. We use the garage as a work shop
and like it to be a bit warmer in the winter. Do you find that odd for some
reason?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Probably the same reason many of us have. We use the garage as a work shop
and like it to be a bit warmer in the winter. Do you find that odd for some
reason?

And has been pointed out by multiple people, insulating a garage door in an
uninsulated garage is going to do bupkis for keeping it warmer, especially if
there is no living space above or around the garage.

Sealing any airgaps around the door may help keep things less drafty, although
you would need to be mindful of any open flame devices in the garage that need
makeup air (ie furnace or water heater). Vents for those should never be
blocked.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message

And has been pointed out by multiple people, insulating a garage door in
an
uninsulated garage is going to do bupkis for keeping it warmer, especially
if
there is no living space above or around the garage.

Right, that is why I insulated my garage and run a 30k Btu heater when I'm
in there. That is why, when I bought a new door, I got one that was
insulated. Every little bit helps to keep that heat in the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Scott" wrote in message
ups.com...
So, back to my original question, foil or foam?

My contractor put in the foam w/ vinyl backing that someone in a prior post
had posted a link to. It doesn't exactly slide right in like you'd think
because it gets caught on the screws in the door face.