Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power to garage options / advice sought

I need to revamp to get safer and legal power out to the nearby garage -
it is impossible to neatly/unobtrusively run a dedicated cable from the
existing CU.

Thoughts are...
1) to tap into an existing ring main on that side of the house... put in a
(? fused outlet / RCBO ?) and take power though a buried armoured cable to
the garage approx 9 mtrs away, ? or provide a local earth and ? a Garage
consumer unit with RCCD

2) any other methods using existing "nearby" ring main

3) leave as it is with an extension lead plugged in to a current 13 A
socket in house, out through window, across patch of grass ( people keep
tripping over it) - i.e. not an option....

I only want approx max 13 A out there for a couple of lights and a socket at
the bench for a drill / vacuum cleaner small tools...

Any suggestions ? and what order should / does it have to be tackled in re
BCO etc ?

Thanks,

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I hate replying like this, but you did say that you wanted a "legal"
power supply. Isn't "outside" a special location and will therefore
require Building Control approval?

I am going to butt out now, and watch the proper answers, but I think
that if I really, really had to do it, I would try very, very hard to
get a supply out from the CU.

George

Nick wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
oups.com...
I hate replying like this, but you did say that you wanted a "legal"
power supply. Isn't "outside" a special location and will therefore
require Building Control approval?

I am going to butt out now, and watch the proper answers, but I think
that if I really, really had to do it, I would try very, very hard to
get a supply out from the CU.

George

Hi George,
Thanks for the reply...
By "legal", I mean an install that I can do 90% of myself to a spec that
will allow a (?part P) electrician to visit, check/connect up and issue a
certificate of compliance to current regs.... It just has to be better
than an ageing extension lead draped across the fence / lawn....
As I (seem to) understand it, it is not illegal as it is, but I would feel a
lot happier if it were an underground armoured cable with suitable "boxes"
at each end

Thanks for the reply,
Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

If you want the cheapest legal way, and you only want to draw 13 amps, then
it's called a very long extension lead. If you're concerned of safety then
use an (additional?) RCD and compliment the earth with an earth spike.