Posted to alt.home.repair
Renderdog

Default Garage door sensors losing power

I'm having trouble with a 9 year-old Overhead Door Legacy
garage door.

The sensors work fine when the door is within 2' of closed,
but they both lose power (both lights, green on one sensor,
red on other, go out, and the sensor voltage at the motor
unit goes to zero) as the door opens. Sometimes they come
back on as the door nears 4' of closed, always back on
within a foot or two.

Symptoms lead me to believe I have a lose connection
somewhere, but I don't know much about garage door
openers. Anyone know how the short would be related to
the garage door's position?

I've gone over the wiring looking for a bad connection and
haven't found anything, wondering if the main unit may be
causing the problem.

Thanks for any help,
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnQ

"Renderdog" wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't know much about garage door
openers. Anyone know how the short would be related

Your first sentence is pretty accurate.

I just love it when the average schmoe ASSumes
that anything electrical not working is a "short".

If it was a "short", the damn circuit would've
fried (and/or popped a fuse or breaker).

you most likely have some kind of intermittent
open circuit condition breaking a signal path &
causing a malfunction.

do yourself a favor and call a pro.

anyone who can't tell the difference between a
"short", and an open circuit shouldn't be messing
around with wiring.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

"JohnQ" wrote in message

"Renderdog" wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't know much about garage door
openers. Anyone know how the short would be related

Your first sentence is pretty accurate.

I just love it when the average schmoe ASSumes
that anything electrical not working is a "short".

If it was a "short", the damn circuit would've
fried (and/or popped a fuse or breaker).

you most likely have some kind of intermittent
open circuit condition breaking a signal path &
causing a malfunction.

do yourself a favor and call a pro.

anyone who can't tell the difference between a
"short", and an open circuit shouldn't be messing
around with wiring.

A schmuck that can't read and comprehend shouldn't respond to posts.
The referral to short was only a generalization not a diagnostic assumation.
Do yourself a favor and pick up a pre-school book and study...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Renderdog wrote:
I'm having trouble with a 9 year-old Overhead Door Legacy
garage door.

The sensors work fine when the door is within 2' of closed,
but they both lose power (both lights, green on one sensor,
red on other, go out, and the sensor voltage at the motor
unit goes to zero) as the door opens. Sometimes they come
back on as the door nears 4' of closed, always back on
within a foot or two.

Symptoms lead me to believe I have a lose connection
somewhere, but I don't know much about garage door
openers. Anyone know how the short would be related to
the garage door's position?

I've gone over the wiring looking for a bad connection and
haven't found anything, wondering if the main unit may be
causing the problem.

Thanks for any help,
Mark

I would guess that it must be something in the control unit. Thinking
of a poor solder joint on a circuit board. But that would not explain
why it would lose power relative to the position of the door. Still, if
you open the unit it would be worth while to go over the joints with a
solder iron. Sometimes the joint looks fine until you look at it with a
microscope.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

find model number, search google.com for the manual to see if it has
troubleshooting.

see why to replace it at:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...fe143b0c997988

here's installation with drawings of one:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...tml?page=2&c=y

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Maybe a problem with the wire itself? Is the wire attached to the door
track or is it run near the springs? I suspect it is a problem with the
circuit board in the opener.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Renderdog" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm having trouble with a 9 year-old Overhead Door Legacy
garage door.

The sensors work fine when the door is within 2' of closed,
but they both lose power (both lights, green on one sensor,
red on other, go out, and the sensor voltage at the motor
unit goes to zero) as the door opens. Sometimes they come
back on as the door nears 4' of closed, always back on
within a foot or two.

Symptoms lead me to believe I have a lose connection
somewhere, but I don't know much about garage door
openers. Anyone know how the short would be related to
the garage door's position?

I've gone over the wiring looking for a bad connection and
haven't found anything, wondering if the main unit may be
causing the problem.

Thanks for any help,
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

Renderdog wrote:

I'm having trouble with a 9 year-old Overhead Door Legacy
garage door.

The sensors work fine when the door is within 2' of closed,
but they both lose power (both lights, green on one sensor,
red on other, go out, and the sensor voltage at the motor
unit goes to zero) as the door opens. Sometimes they come
back on as the door nears 4' of closed, always back on
within a foot or two.

Symptoms lead me to believe I have a lose connection
somewhere, but I don't know much about garage door
openers. Anyone know how the short would be related to
the garage door's position?

I've gone over the wiring looking for a bad connection and
haven't found anything, wondering if the main unit may be
causing the problem.

Thanks for any help,
Mark

I assume you are talking about sensors to open the door if it shuts on
an object (like you). Sensors may be disabled at the very end so they
don't reverse the door as it hits the actual floor. The disabling
switch, or mechanics that operate it, may be the problem.

bud--

Garage: power sockets [email protected] UK diy 5 January 9th 05 10:34 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Power to Garage and Shed/workshop Eric the Red UK diy 3 August 29th 03 06:22 PM
Installing power sockets and light into an adjacent garage Andy Hide UK diy 0 July 21st 03 10:00 AM